- Volume 8 Issue 4
Data center is an information hub and resource for information-centric society. Since data center houses hundreds to ten thousands servers, networking and communication equipment, and supporting systems energy saving is one of the hottest issues for green data center. Among several solutions for green data center this paper introduces higher voltage direct current (DC) power feeding system. Contrary to legacy alternating current (AC) power feeding system equipped with Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), higher voltage DC power feeding system is reported to be a more energy efficient and reliable solution for green data center thanks to less AC/DC and DC/AC conversions. Main focus of this paper is on reliability issue for reliable and continuous operation of higher voltage DC power feeding system. We present different types of configuration of the power feeding systems according to the level of reliability. We analyze the reliability of the power feeding systems based on M/M/1/N+1/N+1 queueing model. Operation of the power feeding system in case of failure is also presented.
- L. Liu, H. Wang, X. Liu, X. Jin, W. He, Q. Wang, and Y. Chen, GreenCloud: a new architecture for green data center, Proc. of the 6th International Conference on Autonomic Computing and Communications, pp. 29-38, June 2009.
- J. Choi and S. Qi, Architecture of DC power feeding systems, a working document (TD1185) in ITU-T SG5, Apr. 2012.
- Green Grid Consortium, www.thegreengrid.org
- Report to Congress on Server and Data Center Energy Efficiency, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR Program, 2007.
- H. Ikebe, Power Systems for Telecommunications in the IT Age, Proc. of Internation Telecommunications Energy Conference(INTELEC 2003), pp. 1-8, Oct. 2003.
- Kleinrock L. Queueing systems, vol. 1: theory. Wiley & Sons; 1975.
- J. Choi, S. Woo and B. Shim, Reliable Service Provisioning in Converged Multimedia Network Environment, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 394-401, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnca.2010.04.002
- G. Fettweis and E. Zimmermann, ICT Energy Consumption - Trends and Challenges, in Proc. of the 11th International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC 2008), 2008.
- G. Koutitas and P. Demestichas, A Review of Energy Efficiency in Telecommunication Networks, Telfor Journal, vol. 2, no. 1, 2010.
- L.1300, Best Practices for Green Data Centers, ITUT SG5, Nov. 2011.
- T. Babasaki, T. Tanaka, Y. Nozaki, T. Tanaka, T. Aoki, and F. Kurokawa, Developing of Higher Voltage Direct-Current Power-feeding Prototype System, in Proc. of the 31st International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2009), 2009.
- L. 1200, Specification of DC Power Feeding System Interface, ITU-T SG5, Apr. 2012.
- D. J. Becker and B. J. Sonnenberg, 400Vdc Power Distribution: Overcoming the Challenges, in Proc. of the 32nd International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2010), June 2010.
- H. Pang, B. M. H. Pong, and E. W. C. Lo, A practical and efficient DC distribution system for commercial and residential applications - 240V or higher?, in Proc. of the International Conference on Electrical Engineering 2008, No. O-198, July 2008.
- M. Rahmat, S. Jovanovic and K. Lo, Reliability Estimation of Uninterruptible Power Supply Systems: Boolean Truth Table Method, in Proc. of 28th International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2006), Sept. 2006.
- Q. Han, Data-telecom Power System Solution Based on Reliability Analysis, in Proc. of 29th International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2007), pp. 917-922, Sept. 2007
- F. Bodi, "DC-Grade" Reliability for UPS in Telecommunications Data Centers, in Proc. of 29th International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2007), pp. 595-602, Sept. 2007
- F. Bodi, "DC-Grade" Reliability Part 2 - Ultra Reliable, Green UPS for Telecommunications Data Centers, in Proc. of 30th International Telecommuni-cations Energy Conference (INTELEC 2008), Sept. 2008.
- T. Tsumura, T. Takeda and K. Hirose, A Tool for Calculating Reliability of Power Supply for Information and Communication Technology Systems, in Proc. of 30th International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2008), Sept. 2008.
- M. Rahmat and S. Jovanovic, Reliability Modeling of Uninterruptible Power Supply Systems Using Fault Tree Analysis Method, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 258-273, European Transactions on Electrical Power, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.211
- K. Hirose, T. Matsumura and M. Yamasaki, Costbenefit Analysis of Emergency Backup Power Systems for Mission Critical Applications, in Proc. of the 32nd International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC 2010), June 2010.