- Volume 23 Issue 2
This study investigated the quality characteristics of gruel supplemented with purple sweet potato. The gruel was prepared with rice powder, salt, and various amounts of purple sweet potato (0, 2, 4, 6, 8%). Increasing the content of purple sweet potato decreased the pH and viscosity of the gruel, whereas sugar content and spreadability gradually increased. In addition, the content of purple sweet potato increased, the lightness (L) significantly decreased, while redness (a) and yellowness (b) increased. The results of the sensory evaluation show that overall-acceptability was highest for the gruel containing 6% purple sweet potato. In conclusion, the results shows that the gruel with 6% purple sweet potato is the best. This study indicates that it is possible to enhance the quality and acceptability of gruel by adding purple sweet potato powder.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 강인희 (1987) 한국의 맛. 대한교과서주식회사, 서울. p 53.
- 김영희, 임정교 (2007) 한국전통식품. 도서출판 효일, 서울. pp 28-68.
- Kim ML, Song HN (2006) Food Thesaurus for Moderns. Kyomunsa, Seoul. pp 69-70.
- Korean National Statistical Office (2001) Estimated future population survey.
- Han BR (1997) Han Bok-ryo's 'Bab'. 6th floor. The Deep-Rooted Tree Publishing House, Seoul. p 24.
- Ahn GJ (2010) Quality characteristics of sulgidduk prepared with amount of purple sweet potato powder. The Korean Journal of Culinary Research 16: 127-136.
- Chun SH, Lee SU, Shin YS, Lee KS, Ryu IW (2000) Preparation of yogurt from milk added with purple sweet potato. Korean J Food & Nutr 13: 71-77.
- Funami T, Tsutsumino T, Kishimoto K (2006) Thickening and gelling agent used for thickened and care food. Journal of Cookery Science of Japan 39: 259-266.
- Han HK, Choi SC, Kim MW, Lee SD (2005) A study on social factors and physical health status of the long-lived elderly people in Ganghwa-gun area. Korean J Community Nutrition 10: 111-121.
- Han JH, Youm YH (2012) Effects of eating habits, activities of daily living and health behaviors on oral health related-quality of life in elderly persons. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 19: 179-189. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.179
- Han KH, Lee JC, Lee GS, Kim, JH, Lee JS (2002) Manufacture and physiological functionality of Korean traditional liquor by using purple-fleshed sweet potato. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 673-677.
- June JH, Yoon JY, Kim HS (1998) A study on the development of hodojook. Korean J Dietary Culture 13: 509-518.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Choi JS (2001) Preparation and quality of instant gruel using pumpkin. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 8: 74-78.
- Kim HY, Back SR (2006) Development and acceptance test of protein enriched menu for the elderly. Korean J Food Culture 21: 262-269.
- Kim HY, Ryu SH (2003) Evaluation of hazardous factors for the application of HACCP on production and transportation flow in home-delivered meals for the elderly. Korean J Soc Food Sci 19: 195-209.
- Kim JS, Kwak EJ (2011) Quality characteristics of gruel with added yam. Korean J Food Culture 26: 184-189.
- Kim JM, Suh DS, Kim YS, Kim KO (2004) Physical and sensory properties of rice gruels and cakes containing different levels of ginkgo nut powder. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 410-415.
- Kim SJ, Rhim JW, Lee LS, Lee JS (1996) Extraction and characteristics of purple sweet potato pigment. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 345-351.
- Kim SY, Ryu CH (1995) Studies on the nutritional components of purple sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas). Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 819-825.
- Ko SH, Seo EO (2010) Quality characteristics of muffins containing purple colored sweet potato powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 272-278.
- Lee GD, Kim HG, Kim JG, Kwon JH (1997) Optimization for the preparation conditions of instant rice gruel using oyster mushroom and brown rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 734-744.
- Lee HJ, Park HO, Lee SY (2005) A study of optimum conditions in preparing gruel with black bean germ sprout source. Korean J Food & Nutr 18: 287-294.
- Lee JS, Ahn YS, Kim HS, Chung MN, Jeong BC (2006) Making techniques of high quality powder in sweet potato. Korean J Crop Sci 51: 198-203.
- Lee JW, Lee HH, Rhim JW, Jo JS (2000) Determination of the conditions for anthocyanin extraction from purple-fleshed sweet potato. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 790-795.
- Lee SM, Park GS (2011) Quality characteristics of bread with various concentrations of purple sweet potato. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 27: 1-16.
- Lee YH, Lee GS (1995) A study on the nutritional knowledge, food behavior, nutritional attitudes and food preference in case of elderly living in home. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association 33: 213-224.
- Manohar RS, Manohar B, Rao PH (1998) Rheological characterization of wheat porridge(cooked dalia), a semiliquid break food. J Cereal Sci 27: 103-108. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcrs.1997.9999
- Millen BE, Ohls JC, Ponza M, Mcool AC (2002) The elderly nutrition program: An effective national framework for preventive nutrition interventions. J Am Diet Assoc 102: 234-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90055-6
- Min ES, Cho JS (2009) Quality characteristics of Heukimjajook containing different levels of black sesame powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 10-118.
- Rhim JW, Lee JW (2002) Photostability of anthocyanin extracted from purple-fleshed sweet potato. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 346-349.
- Song J, Chung MN, Kim JT, Chi HY, Son JR (2005) Quality characteristics and antioxidative activities in various cultivars of sweet potato. Korean J Crop Sci 50: 141-146.
- Song ES, Kim EJ, Kim MH, Choi MK (2011) Comparative study on dietary life and nutrient intakes of elderly persons. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 21: 649-660.
- Zhang X, Lee FZ, Kum JS, Eun JB (2002) The effect of processing condition on physicochemical characteristics on pine nut gruel. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 225-231.