- Volume 22 Issue 3_1spc
DOI QR Code
Tumor Detection Algorithm by using Mammogram Image Processing
맘모그램 영상처리를 이용한 종양검출 알고리즘
- Received : 2013.04.30
- Accepted : 2013.06.10
- Published : 2013.06.15
Recently, the death rate owing to breast cancers has been increasing, and the occurrence age for breast cancers is lowering every year. Mammography is known to be a reliable detection method for breast cancers and works by detecting texture changes, calcifications, and other potential symptoms. In this research on breast cancer detection, candidate objects were detected by using image processing on mammograms, and feature analysis was used to classify candidate objects as benign tumors and malignant tumors. To find candidate objects, image pre-processing and binarization using multiple thresholds, and the grouping of micro-calcifications were used. More than 50 shape features and intensity features were used in the classification. The performance of the detection algorithm by using Euclidian distance method for benign tumors was 93%, and the classification error rate was approximately 2%.
Tumor detection;Mammogram;Image processing
- Han, H. Y., 2009, Introduction of Pattern Recognition, Hanbit Media Inc.
- Society of Breast Cancers, 1999, The Breast, Ilchokak.
- Bird, R. E., Wallace, T. W., Yankaskas, B. C., 1992, Analysis of cancers missed at screening mammography, Radiology, 184 613-617. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.184.3.1509041
- Liberman, L., Evans, W. P., Dershaw, D. D. Hann, L. E., Deutch, B. M., Abramson, A. F., Rosen P. P., 1994, Radiography of microcalcifications in stereotacxic mammary core biopsy specimens, Radiology, 190 223-225. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.190.1.8259409
- Park, J. S., 2006, Calcifications on Breast Ultrasonography, Korean Soc Ultrasound Med, 25 61-71.
- Alberdi, E., Lee, R., Taylor, P., 2000, Radiologist's description and interpretation of mammographic microcalcifications : A knowledge elicitation study for computerized decision support, JWDM, Toronto, Canada.
- Anderson, E., Muir, B., Walsh, J., Kirkpatrick, A., 1994, The efficacy of double reading mammograms in breast screening, Clinical Radiology, 49:4 248-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9260(05)81850-1
- Choi, H. S., Cho, Y. H., Cho, B. H., Moon, W. K., Lim, J. K., Kim, I. Y., Kim, S. I., 2007, A Study on the Multi-view Based Computer Aided Diagnosis in Digital Mammography, J. Biomedical Engineering Res., 28:1 162-168.
- Won C. H., Kwon, Y. J., Lee, J. H., Park, H. J., Lim S. W., Kim, M. N., Cho, J. H., 2004, Microcalcification Extraction by Using Automatic Thresholding Based on Region Growing, J. Biomedical Engineering Res., 25:4 235-242.
- Kim, C. H., Choi, S. H., Joo, W. J., Kim, G. B., 2006, Classification of Surface Defect on Steel Strip by KNN Classifier, J. Korean Society for Precision Engineering, 23:8 80-88.
- Kwon, J. W., Kang, H. K., Ro, Y. M., Kim, S. M., 2006, A Hierarchical Microcalcification Detection Algorithm Using SVM in Korean Digital Mammography, J. Biomedical Engineering, 27:5 291-299.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교