- Volume 45 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A SCENARIO STUDY ON MIXING STRATEGIES OF FAST REACTOR WITH LOW AND HIGH CONVERSION RATIOS
- Jeong, Chang Joon (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Jo, Chang Keun (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Noh, Jae Man (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.05.15
- Accepted : 2012.11.29
- Published : 2013.06.25
This study investigated mixing scenarios of the low and high conversion ratios (CRs) of fast reactors (FRs). The fuel cycle was modeled so as to minimize the spent fuel (SF) or transuranics (TRU) inventories. The scenarios were modeled for a single low CR of 0.61 and a high CR of 1.0. The study also investigated the mixing scenario of low-high CR and/or high-low CR. The SF and TRU inventories, associated with different scenarios, were compared to those of the light water reactor (LWR) once-through (OT) case. Also, the important isotope concentration and long-term heat (LTH) load were calculated and compared to those of the OT cycle. As a result, it is known that the deployment of FRs of low CR burns more TRU and results in a reduction of the out-of-pile TRU inventory and LTH with low deployment capacity. This study shows that the mixing strategy of FRs of low and high CR can reduce the SF and TRU inventories with lower deployment capacity as compared with a single deployment of FRs of high CR.
- C. J. Jeong, H. Choi, "Dynamic Modeling and Analysis of Alternative Fuel Cycle Scenarios in Korea," Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 39 (1), pp85-94, (2007). https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.2007.39.1.085
- C. J. Jeong, C. J. Park, and W. I. Ko, "Dynamic Analysis of a Thorium Fuel Cycle in CANDU Reactors," Annals of Nuclear Energy, 35(10), pp1842-1848, (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2008.04.010
- "National Energy Basic Plan," Ministry of Knowledge and Economy, (2008).
- Y.I. Kim, S. G. Hong, and D. H. Hahn, "SFR Deployment Strategy for the Re-Use of Spent Fuel in Korea," Nuclear Engineering and Technology, Vol.40, No.6, p.517 (2008). https://doi.org/10.5516/NET.2008.40.6.517
- R. Wigeland, T. Bauer, T. Fanning, and E. Morris, "Repository Impact of LWR MOX and Fast Reactor Recycling Options," ANS Winter Meeting / Global 2003, New Orleans, November 16-20, (2003).
- US-Department of Energy, "A Technology Roadmap for Generation IV Nuclear Energy Systems," GIF-002-00, (2002).
- Kim, S. J. et al., "Nuclear design and analysis report for KALIMER breakeven core conceptual design", KAERI/TR-2153/2002. Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, (2002).
- Y. I. Kim, "Status of SFR Technology Development at KAERI," The 8th KOREA-CHINA Joint Workshop on Nuclear Waste Management and Fast Reactor Technologies, Jeju, Korea, 13-15 November, (2008).
- L. Van Den Durpel, A. Yacout, D. Wade, and H. Khalil, "DANESS-Dynamic Analysis of Nuclear Energy System Strategies," Global 2003, New Orleans, November 16-20, (2003).
- A. M. Yacout, L. Van Den Durpel, D. Wade, and P. Finck, "Scenarios for the Expanded Use of Nuclear Energy, ICAPP 2004, Pittsburg, June 13-17, (2004).
- J. H. Park, C. J. Jeong and H. Choi, "Implementation of a Dry Process Fuel Cycle Model into the DYMOND Code," Journal of Korean Nuclear Society, 36 (2), pp175-183, (2004).