- Volume 45 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
VISUALIZATION OF INTERNAL DEFECTS IN PLATE-TYPE NUCLEAR FUEL BY USING NONCONTACT OPTICAL INTERFEROMETRY
- Park, Seung-Kyu (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Park, Nak-Gyu (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Baik, Sung-Hoon (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kang, Young-June (School of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.09.25
- Accepted : 2013.01.25
- Published : 2013.06.25
An imaging technique to visualize the internal defects in a plate-type nuclear fuel specimen was developed by using an active optical interferometer for a nondestructive quality inspection. A periodic thermal wave having a sinusoidal intensity pattern induced a periodical strain variation for the specimen. The varying strain image was acquired using an optical laser interferometer. The strain distribution over the internal defects will be distorted in an acquired strain image because a part of the thermal wave will be reflected from these defects during propagation. In this paper, internal defects were efficiently visualized by sequentially accumulating the extracted defect components. The experimental results confirmed that the developed visualization system can be a valuable tool to detect the internal defects in plate-type nuclear fuel.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Y.H. Huang, S.P. Ng, L. Liu, C.L. Li, Y.S. Chen and Y.Y. Hung, "NDT&E using shearography with impulsive thermal stressing and clustering phase extraction", Optics and Laser in Engineering, Vol. 47, pp. 774-781, (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2009.02.011
- Z. Liu, J. Gao, H. Xie, and P. Wallace, "NDT Capability of Digital Shearography for Different Materials", Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 49, pp. 1462-1469, (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2011.04.006
- Y.Y. Hung, Y.S. Chen, S.P. Ng, L. Liu, Y.H. Huang, B.L Luk, and P.S. Chung, "Review and comparison of shearography and active thermography for nondestructive evaluation", Materials Science and Engineering R, Vol. 64, pp. 73-112, (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mser.2008.11.001
- P. Menner, H. Gerhard and G. Busse, "Lockin-Interferometry: Principle and Applications in NDE", Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 57, pp. 183-191, (2011).
- A.E. Dolinko, G.H. Kaufmann, "Enhancement in flaw detectability by means of lockin temporal speckle pattern interferometry and thermal waves", Optics and Lasers in Engineering, Vol. 45, pp. 690-694, (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2006.11.002
- H. Gerhard and G. Busse, "Lockin-ESPI interferometric imaging for remote non-destructive testing", NDT&E International, Vol. 39, pp. 627-635, (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2006.04.006
- P. Menner, P. Schmitz, H. Gerhard and G. Busse "Lockin- Speckle-Interferometry with Modulated Optical and Inductive Excitation", SPIE, Vol. 7063, (2008).
- Y. K. Zhu, G. Y. Tian, R. S. Lu and H. Zhang, "A Review of Optical NDT Technologies", Sensors 11, pp. 7773-7798, (2011). https://doi.org/10.3390/s110807773
- K. Y. Zhang, "Nonlinear ultrasonic techniques for nondestructive assessment of micro damage in material: a review", International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 123-135, (2009).
- Y. Y. Cheng and J. C. Wyant, "Phase shifter calibration in phase-shifting interferometry", Applied Optics, Vol. 24, No. 18, pp. 3049-3052, (1985). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.24.003049
- B. A. Barna, "The Suitability of X-ray paper as an Inspection Tool for Flat Plate Nuclear Fuel", ANS Winter '79 Meeting, November 11-16, San Francisco, CA, (1979).
- J. K. Ghosh, S. Muralidhar, K. N. Chandrasekharan, "Nondestructive Evaluation of Plate Type Nuclear Fuel Elements for PURNIMA-III and KAMINI Research Reactors", Advanced Materials, Manufacturing, and Testing Information Analysis Center, (1992).
- R. W. Knight and R. A. Morin, "Fabrication Procedures for Manufacturing High Flux Isotope Reactor Fuel", E ORNL/6852, December, (1999)
- P. Katchadjian, C. Desimone, C. Ziobrowski and A. Garcia, "Detection of Delamination Defects in Plate Type Fuel Elements Applying an Automated C-Scan Ultrasonic System", 2002 International Meeting on Reduced Enrichment for Research and Test Reactors, Barioche, Argentina, November 3-8, (2002).
- J. Borring, H. E. Gundtoft, K. K. Borum and P. Toft, "Non-destructive Evaluation of the Cladding Thickness in LEU Fuel Paltes by Accurate Ultrasonic Scanning Technique", 1994 International Meeting on Reduced Enrichment for Research and Test Reactors, Williamsburg, VA (US), Sept. 18-23, pp.178-190, (2002).
- Mucio Jose Drumond de Brito, Wilmar Barbosa Ferraz, Donizete Anderson de Alencar and Silverio Ferreira da Silva Jr., "Nondestructive evaluation of plate type nuclear fuel elements during manufacturing stage using ultrasonic test method", 2009 INAC, Roi de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil, September 27, 2009.
- J. P. Ferreira, F. Lopez, V. Nicolau, A. Albertazzi and D. Willemann, "Comparison of infrared thermography and shearography for non-destructive evaluation of composites materials by pulsed-heating excitation", 5th Pan American Conference for NDT, Cancun, Mexico, October, pp. 2-6, (2011).
- D. Malacar, Optical Shop Testing, 2nd Edition, A Wiley- Interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, (1992).
- K. Habib, "Thermally induced deformations measured by shearography", Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 37, pp. 509-512, (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2004.06.007
- F. Taillade, M. Quiertant, K. Benzarti and C. Aubagnac, "Shearography and pulsed stimulated infrared thermography applied to a nondestructive evaluation of FRP strengthening systems bonded on concrete structures", Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 25, pp. 568-574, (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.02.019