- Volume 24 Issue 3
The Monitoring Study of Exchange Cycle of Automatic Transmission Fluid
자동변속기유(ATF) 교환주기 모니터링 연구
- Lim, Young-Kwan (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Jung, Choong-Sub (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Min (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Han, Kwan-Wook (Research Center, Korea Institute of Petroleum Management) ;
- Na, Byung-Ki (Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- 임영관 (한국석유관리원 석유기술연구소) ;
- 정충섭 (한국석유관리원 석유기술연구소) ;
- 이정민 (한국석유관리원 석유기술연구소) ;
- 한관욱 (한국석유관리원 석유기술연구소) ;
- 나병기 (충북대학교 화학공학과)
- Published : 2013.06.10
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is used as an automatic transmission in the vehicle or as a characterized fluid for automatic transmission. Recently, vehicle manufacturers usually guarantee for changing fluids over 80000~100000 km mileage or no exchange. However, most drivers usually change ATF below every 50000 km driving distance when driving in Republic of Korea according to a survey from the Korea Institute of Petroleum Management which can cause both a serious environmental contamination by the used ATF and an increase in the cost of driving. In this study, various physical properties such as flash point, pour point, kinematic viscosity, dynamic viscosity at low temperature, total acid number and four-ball test were investigated for both fresh ATF and used ATF after the actual vehicle driving distance of 50000 km and 100000 km. It was shown that most physical properties were suitable for the specification of ATF, but the foam characteristics of the used oil after running 100000 km was unsuitable for the specification of fresh ATF. Therefore, the exchange cycle of ATF every 80000~100000 km driving distance is recommended considering great positive contributions to preventing environmental pollution and reducing driving cost.
automatic transmission fluid;exchange cycle;real vehicle;fresh oil;used oil
- D. Antoni, V. V. Zverlow, and W. H. Schwarz, Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 77, 23 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-007-1163-x
- J. Sachs, J. Franklin Inst., 144, 21 (1897).
- Korea Automobile Manufacture Association (http://www.kama.or.kr/).
- F. Qureshi, C. D. Tipton, and M. E. Huston, Tribology Series, 39, 219 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8922(01)80109-7
- F. Owrang, H. Mattsson, J. Olsson, and J. Pedersen, Thermochim. Acta, 413, 241 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tca.2003.09.016
- P. Agamuthu, O. P. Abioye, and A. Abdul Aziz, J. of Hazd. Mater., 179, 891 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.03.088
- Manual for regular inspection in Hyundai motor company (http://www.hyundai.com/kr).
- Korea Institute of Petroleum Management (http://www.kpetro.or.kr).
- A. S. Abdul, T. L. Gibson, and S. F. Kia, J. of Hydrology, 121, 133 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(90)90229-Q
- Business act for quality standard, inspection method and inspection fee of petroleum product, Ministry of Commerce, Industry and Energy, 2011-302.
- Korean Standard M 2125 : 2007, Automatic transmission fluids.