- Volume 24 Issue 3
In the present study, the characteristics of combustion phenomena and NOx emission in the OFA-type tangentially injected coal-fired boiler have been investigated numerically in order to find the effect of geometrical variation on the performance of the boiler. For these, numerical analyses of turbulent flow, chemical reaction, and radiation heat transfer are performed by using the computational fluid dynamics method. The predicted results clearly show that NOx formation highly depends on the combustion processes, the temperature and species concentrations. In addition, the optimum conditions for both the maximum NOx reduction and highest boiler efficiency can be obtained by considering the amount of supplied air and the injection angle at OFA, and modifying the boiler configuration. It is also found that the variation of supplied air at OFA is more effective than that of the injection angle for reducing the NOx emission, within the present operating conditions.
- A. Molina, E. G. D. Eddings, W. Pershing, and A. F. Sarofim, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 26, 5071 (2000).
- L. I. Diez, C. Cortes, and J. Pallares, Fuel, 87, 1259 (2007).
- C. R. Choi and C. N. Kim, Fuel, 88, 1720 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2009.04.001
- T. H. Shih, W. W. Lion, A. Shabbir, Z. Yang, and J. Zhu, Comput. Fluids, 24, 227 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7930(94)00032-T
- B. F. Magnussen and B. H. Hjertager, On the Structure of Turbulence and a Generalized Eddy Dissipation Concept for Chemical Reaction in Turbulent Flow, 19th AIAA Aerospace Meeting, St. Louis, USA (1981)
- J. C. Chai, H. S. Lee, and S. V. Patankar, J. Thermo. Heat Transfer, 8, 419 (1994). https://doi.org/10.2514/3.559
- T. F. Smith, Z. F. Shen, and J. N. Friedman, J. Heat Transfer, 104, 60 (1982).
- STAR-CCM+ v4.02, User Guide (2007).
- S. Ergun, Chem. Eng. Progress, 48, 89 (1952).
- S. T. Shim, A Numerical Study on the NOx Reduction of Tangentially injected coal-fired boiler, M. S. Dissertation, Hoseo University (2012).
- A. Kokkinos, D. Wasyluk, M. Brower, and J. J. Barna, Reducing NOx emissions in tangentially-fired boilers-A new approach, ASME International Joint Power Generation Conference, Miami, Florida, USA (2000).
- T. L. Bris, F. Cadavid, S. Caillat, S. Pietrzyk, J. Blondin, and B. Baudoin, Fuel, 86, 2213 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.05.054
- H. Soud and K. Fukasawa, Developments in Nox abatement and control, IEA Coal Res 1996: IEACR/89 (1996).
- C. K. Man, J. R. Gibbins, J. G. Witkamp, and J. Zhang, Fuel, 84, 2190 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2005.06.011