- Volume 24 Issue 3
Fabrication and Electrochemical Characterization of Ion-selective Composite Carbon Electrode Coated with Sulfonated Poly(Ether Ether Ketone)
Sulfonated Poly(Ether Ether Ketone)을 코팅한 이온선택성 복합탄소전극의 제조 및 전기화학적 특성 분석
- Choi, Jae-Hwan (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, Chan-Mi (Department of Chemical Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Published : 2013.06.10
Sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone) (SPEEK) with a certain degree of sulfonation were synthesized by reacting PEEK and sulfuric acid at different reaction time. Then ion-selective composite carbon electrodes (ISCCE) were fabricated by coating the prepared SPEEK on the surface of carbon electrodes. The specific capacitance and resistance of the ISCCE were analyzed by electrical impedance spectroscopy. The ion exchange capacities (IEC) of the SPEEKs were measured in the range of 1.60~2.57 meq/g depending on the sulfonation time. The SPEEK more than 2.5 meq/g of IEC was considered unsuitable for fabricating the ISCCE because it was dissolved in water. The specific capacitance of the prepared ISCCE increased with increasing the IEC of coated SPEEKs and the capacitance was improved up to about 20% compared to that of uncoated carbon electrode. In addition, the electrical resistance of coating layer decreased significantly with increasing the IEC of coated SPEEKs. It is expected that the desalination efficiency of conventional capacitive deionization process can be improved by using the prepared ISCCE coated with SPEEK.
capacitive deionization;sulfonated poly(ether ether ketone);ion exchange capacity;composite carbon electrode;specific capacitance
- B. H. Park, Y. J. Kim, J. S. Park, and J. H. Choi, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 17, 717 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2011.05.015
- B. C. Johnson, I. Yilgor, C. Tran, M. Iqbal, J. P. Wightman, D. R. Lloyd, and J. E. Mcgarth, J. Polym. Sci., 22, 721 (1984).
- A. J. Bard and L. R. Faulkner, Electrochemical Methods: Fundamentals and Application, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.
- B. E. Conway, Electrochemical Supercapacitors: Scientific Fundamentals and Technological Applications, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York (1999).
- B. H. Park and J. H. Choi, Electrochim. Acta, 55, 2888 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2009.12.084
- Y. J. Kim and J. H. Choi, Appl. Chem. Eng., 21, 87 (2010).
- C. J. Gabelich and T. D. Tran, I. H. "MEL" Suffet, Environ. Sci. Technol., 36, 3010 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1021/es0112745
- Y. Oren, Desalination, 228, 10 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2007.08.005
- M. A. Anderson, A. L. Cudero, J. Palma, Electrochim. Acta, 55, 3845 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2010.02.012
- M. W. Ryoo and G. Seo, Water. Res., 37, 1527 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00531-6
- P. M. Biesheuvel, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 332, 258 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.12.018
- H. Li, L. Zou, L. Pan, and Z. Sun, Environ. Sci. Technol., 44, 8692 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1021/es101888j
- Y. J. Kim and J. H. Choi, Sep. Purif. Technol., 71, 70 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2009.10.026
- H. Li, Y. Gao, L. Pan, Y. Zhang, Y. Chen, and Z. Sun, Water Res., 42, 4923 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.09.026
- J. H. Lee, W. S. Bae, and J. H. Choi, Desalination, 258, 159 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.03.020
- P. M. Biesheuvel and A. van der Wal, J. Membr. Sci., 346, 256 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2009.09.043
- M. D. Andelman, CA Patent 2444390 (2002).
- J. B. Lee, K. K. Park, H. M. Eum, and C. W. Lee, Desalination, 196, 125 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2006.01.011
- Y. J. Kim and J. H. Choi, Water Res., 44, 990 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.10.017
- R. T. S. Muthu Lakshmi, V. Choudhary, and I. K. Varma, J. Mater. Sci., 40, 629 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-005-6300-2
- K. D. Kreuer, J. Membr. Sci., 185, 29 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-7388(00)00632-3
- N. Shibuya and R. S. Porter, Macromolecules, 25, 6495 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1021/ma00050a017
- R. Y. M. Huang, P. Shao, C. M. Burns, and X. Feng, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 82, 2651 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.2118
- H. Strathmann, Ion-Exchange Membrane Separation Processes, Elsevier, Amsterdam (2004).
- H. Probstle, M. Wiener, and J. Fricke, J. Porous Mater., 10, 213 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOPO.0000011381.74052.77