- Volume 24 Issue 1
Degradation of Pesticides in Wastewater Using Plasma Process Coupled with Photocatalyst
광촉매를 병합한 플라즈마 공정을 이용한 폐수에 함유된 살충제 분해
- Jang, Doo Il (Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering, Jeju National University) ;
- Kim, Kil-Seong (Jeju Provincial Research Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Hyun, Young Jin (Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering, Jeju National University)
- Published : 2013.02.10
Nonthermal plasma hybridized with photocatalysts is proven to be an effective tool to degrade toxic organics in wastewater. In this study, a specially designed dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) plasma system combined with photocatalysts was applied to decompose pestiticides such as dichlorovos, carbofuran and methidathon, which are frequently used in the golf courses and the orange plantations. The degradations of the pesticides in single and coupled systems were evaluated. The single system was used with ozone plasma which consisted of electrons, radicals, ions produced by oxygen gas and air, with and without ultra-violet (UV) irradiation, respectively. The coupled systems utilized the air-derived ozone plasma combined with zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and graphite oxide photocatalyst activated by UV. The graphite oxide was synthesized by a modified Hummer's method and characterized using FTIR spectrometer. It was elucidated that the plasma reaction with graphite oxide (0.01 g/L) brought about almost 100% of degradation degrees for dichlorovos and carbofuran in 60 min, as compared with the performances showed by no catalyst condition. The photocatalyst-hybridized plasma in the presence of UV irradiation was proven to be an effective alternative for degrading pesticides.
dielectric barrier discharge plasma;pesticides degradation;graphite oxide;photocatalyst-hybridized plasma;alternative
- C. Lu, D. B. Barr, and M. A. Person, Health Perspect, 116, 537 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.10912
- M. Naddaf, S. Saloum, and B. Alkhaled, Vacuum, 85, 421 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2010.08.004
- S. E. Duirk, L. M. Desetto, G. M. Davis, C. Lindell, and C. T. Cornelison, Water Res., 44, 761 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.10.012
- J. Lee, J. K. Lee, S. Uhm, and H. J. Lee, Appl. Chem. Eng., 22, 235 (2011).
- Z. W. Min, S.-M. Hong, C.-K. Mok, and G.-J. Im, J. K. Soc. Pesticide Sci., 16, 11 (2012). https://doi.org/10.7585/kjps.2012.16.1.011
- S. Ahmed, M. G. Rasul, R. Brown, and M. A. Hashi, J. Environ. Manage., 92, 311 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.08.028
- D. I. Jang, T. H. Lim, S. B. Lee, Y. S. Mok, and H. Park, Appl. Chem. Eng., 23, 608 (2012).
- H.-B. Cho, M.-H. Suh, and Y.-H. Park, Appl. Chem. Eng., 20, 28 (2009).
- Y. Bai, J. Chen, H. Mu, C. Zhang, and B. Li, J. Agric. Food Chem., 57, 6238 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1021/jf900995d
- A. V. Lozhechnik, A. L. Mosse, V. V. Savichin, D. S. Skomor okhov, and I. V. Khvedchin, J. Eng. Phys. Thermophys., 84, 1114 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10891-011-0574-9
- T. Zhu, J. Li, Y. Jin, Y. Liang, and G. Ma, Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech., 5, 375 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03326032
- W. Cho, Y. C. Kim, and S. S. Kim, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 16, 20 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2010.01.027
- T.-F. Yeh, J.-M. Syu, C. Cheng, T.-H. Chang, and H. Tang, Adv. Funct. Mater., 20, 2255 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201000274
- W.-C. Oh, M.-L. Chen, K. Zhang, and F.-J. Zhang, J. Korean Phys. Soc., 56, 1097 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.56.1097
- X. L. Hao, M. H. Zhou, and L. C. Lei, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A, 136, 163 (2006).
- K. H. Wang, Y.-H. Hscieh, and M.-Y. Chou, Appl. Catal. B, 21, 1 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(98)00116-7
- K. Krishnamoorthy, R. Mohen, and S.-J. Kim, Appl. Phys. Lett., 98, 244101 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3599453
- W. S. Hummers and R. E. Offeman, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 80, 1338 (1958). https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01539a016
- M. Seredych, J. A. Rossin, and T. J. Bendosz, Carbon, 49, 4392 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2011.06.032
- Y. S. Mok, J.-O. Jo, and J. C. Whitehead, Chem. Eng. J., 142, 56 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2007.11.012
- V. Gunasekaran, PhD Dissertation, Jeju National University, Korea (2011).
- P. Kopf, E. Gilbert, and S. H. Eberle, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A., 136, 163 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-6030(00)00331-2
- K. Okamoto, Y. Yamamoto, H. Tanaka, M. Tanaka, and A. Itaya, Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn., 58, 2015 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1246/bcsj.58.2015
- A. House, H. Lachheb, and M. Ksibi, Appl. Catal. B, 31, 145 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(00)00276-9
- B. Yanhon, C. Jierong, Y. Yun, G. Limei, and Z. Chunhong, Chemosphere, 81, 408 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2010.06.071