- Volume 24 Issue 1
Heavy oil residue upgrading process was being used in conventional refinery process. Recently, as the importance of non conventional energy development is growing up, the commercial projects of heavy oil upgrading are getting more active than before. For having competitive business model in the resource competition, non conventional energy development should be considered as an important business strategy. In developing oil sands, extra heavy oil, and shale gas, canadian oil sands and extra heavy oil have great importance in substitution of conventional oil consumption. In oil sands development, the bitumen, which is extracted from oil sands, has great value after upgrading or refining process. Similar process is being used current conventional refinery process. The bitumen is highly viscous hydrocarbon. This bitumen includes impurities which can not be treated in conventional refinery process. As this reason, specified process is needed in bitumen or extra heavy oil upgrading process. Moreover, there will be additional specified facilities in the process of production, transportation and marketing. In oil sands, there are various kinds of commercial upgrading process. Extraction, dilution, coking and cracking method were being used commercially.
oil sands;extra heavy oil;bitumen;FT wax;upgrading
- P. R. Robinson and G. E. Dolbear, Practical Advances In Petroleum Processing; Chang S. Hsu and P. R. Robinson, 1, 178, Springer New York, New York (2006).
- L. C. Castaneda, J. A. D. Munoz, and J. Ancheyta, Fuel, 100, 110 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2012.02.022
- M. S. Rana, V. Samano, J. Ancheyta, and J. A. I. Diaz, Fuel, 86, 1216 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2006.08.004
- A. Guo, X. Lin, D. Liu, X. Zhang, and Z. Wang, Fuel Process. Technol., 104, 332 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2012.06.004
- R. O. Koseoglu and C. R. Phillips, Fuel, 66, 741 (1987). https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-2361(87)90117-7
- M. I. Ahmad, N. Zhang, and M. Jobson, Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 89, 1025 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2010.11.021
- F. A. N. Fernandes, and U. M. Teles, Fuel Process. Technol., 88, 207 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2006.09.003