- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Development and Evaluation of a Clinical Practice Nursing Students' Microbiology Program Based on the Mastery Learning Model
완전학습모델기반 간호 미생물학 이론 및 실습프로그램의 개발과 효과평가
- Received : 2013.04.10
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to develop a clinical practice nursing students' microbiology program based on the mastery learning model, and to evaluate the effects of the program on nursing students' knowledge, self-efficacy, performance, and satisfaction related to the nursing students' microbiology program. Methods: The program was developed by using the processes of the mastery learning model. The pre-experimental research design involved a one group pretest-posttest design. The setting was a university located in Incheon, Korea. A total of 130 nursing students participated in the program including a theoretical lecture, clinical practice, and formative and summative evaluation. Results: Using the program that was designed and developed, results for the total score of self-efficacy, knowledge, and performance in the post-test application were significantly higher than in the pre-test application (p<.05). The satisfaction of hand hygiene and disinfection/contaminated hand microbial culture and disinfection test received the highest ratings. Conclusion: The application of a clinical practice nursing students' microbiology program was effective, and can be expanded to other nursing students. Future research with other study designs was warranted in order to prove the effect of a microbiology program based on the mastery learning model.
- Zendejas, B., Cook, D. A., Hernandez-Irizarry, R., Huebner, M., & Farley, DR. J. (2012). Mastery learning simulation-based curriculum for laparoscopic TEP inguinal hernia repair. Journal of Surgical Education, 69, 208-214. http://dx.doi.org/208-214.10.1016/j.jsurg.2011.08.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2011.08.008
- Byeon, Y. S., Choe, M. A., Kim, H. S., Park, M. J., Seo, W. S., Lee, K. S., et al. (2002). A study of content analysis on ICU nurses' knowledge of basic nursing sciences. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 4, 41-49.
- Choe, M. A., Byeon, Y. S., Seo, Y. S., Hwang, A. R., Kim, H. S., Hong, H. S., et al. (2000). A study on the degree of need of the knowledge of pathophysiology, clinical microbiology and mechanisms and effects of drug in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 2, 1-19.
- Choe, M. A., & Shin, G. S. (1997). A study on the current status of the curriculum operation of the basic medical sciences in nursing education. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 27, 975-987.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Yoo, J. S., Ahn, J. A., Yeo, K. S., & Chu, S. H. (2008). The study to reorganize the course of basic nursing science in a college of nursing. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 10, 162-169.
- Yoo, J. S., Hwang, A. R., Hong, H. S., & Park, M. J. (2001). Development and evaluation of a web-based instructional program on basic nursing science for nursing students. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 3, 63-68.
- Yi, Y. J., & Cho, K. S. (2011). Survey on the students' evaluation and the administrational status of biological nursing science subjects in advanced practice nursing programs. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 13, 193-203.
- Frick, L. J., Frick, J. L., Coffman, R. E., & Dey, S. (2011). Student stress in a three-year doctor of pharmacy program using a mastery learning educational model. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, 75(4), 1-7.
- Gardner, E. A. (2006). Instruction in mastery goal orientation: Developing problem solving and persistence for clinical settings. Journal of Nursing Education, 45(9), 343-347.
- Hong, K. B. (2008). The design and implementation of a blended instruction model of mastery learning in the college classroom: Focusing on the computer reservation subject matter. Unpublished master's thesis, Kongju National University, Kongju.
- Jeong, S. H. (2009). The application and effect of creative training techniques to an anatomy subject for biological nursing science education. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 11, 183-194.
- Kim, H. K. (1994). Development of mastery learning theory. Seoul: Moonumsa.
- Kwon, E. O., Shim, M. Y., Choi, E. H., Lim, S. H., Han, K. M., Lee, E. J., et al. (2012). The effects of an advanced cardiac life support simulation training based on the mastery learning model. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 18(1), 126-135.
- Maag, M., & Fonteyn, M. (2005). Using a collaborative learning method to enhance mastery of pathophysiology content. Journal of Nursing Education, 44(9), 435-436.
- Pai, J. H., Kim, M. N., & Jeong, J. S. (2007). Clinical microbiology for infection control. Seoul: Hanmibook.
- Park, M. J., An, K. J., Jeong, J. S., Kim, H. S., Hong, H. S., & Choe, M. A. (2007). Educational need assessment of advanced practice nurses on the pathophysiology. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 9, 85-102.
- Pinkney-Atkinson, V. J. (1980). Mastery learning model for an inservice nurse training program for the care of hypertensive patients. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 11(2), 27-31.
- Society of Biological Nursing Science, & The Korean Society for Microbiology. (2011). Nursing microbiology (2nd ed.). Seoul: Elsevior Korea.
- Barsuk, J. H., Ahya, S. N., Cohen, E. R., McGaghie, W. C., & Wayne, D. B. (2009). Mastery learning of temporary hemodialysis catheter insertion by nephrology fellows using simulation technology and deliberate practice. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 54(1), 70-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2008.12.041 https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2008.12.041
- Bloom, B. (1971). Mastery learning. New York: Holt, Rinehart, & Winston.
Supported by : 가천대학교