- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Aromatherapy Intervention Studies in Nursing
아로마테라피 중재를 적용한 간호학 논문 분석
- Chae, Young Ran (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Won, Su Jin (Graduate School, Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2013.04.19
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
Purpose: This study aimed to analyze the effects and intervention methods of aromatherapy studies in nursing. Methods: A systematic literature review was conducted. Nursing literature databases were searched to identify intervention studies published in Korea between 2000 and 2011. Finally, 53 articles were included in the review. Results: The most preferred application method of aromatherapy was massage. The major dependent variables were anxiety, depression, pain, and sleep disturbance. 76.5% of the studies reported positive effects on anxiety. 93.8% of the studies reported positive effects on depression. 86.7% of the studies reported positive effects on pain. 92.3% of the studies reported positive effects on sleep disturbance. Psychometric measurements were mainly used in the studies. Only 33.9% of the studies adopted physical or physiological measurements. The most prevalent physical or physiological instrument was vital signs. Conclusion: Aromatherapy had positive effects on anxiety, depression, pain, and sleep disturbance measuring when using psychometric instruments. However, there was no sufficient evidence measuring when using physical or physiological instruments. These need to be studied using well-designed, randomized, controlled trials, and should encourage the use of both psychometric and physiological measures for aromatherapy intervention in nursing studies.
- Lee, S, H. (2002). effects of aromatherapy massage on depression, self-esteem, climacteric symptoms in the middle aged women. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, 8(2), 278-287.
- Mo, J. H., & Song, M. R. (2007). A study on the current status of use and satisfaction in aromatherapy. Korean Journal of Sanitation, 22(4), 45-54.
- Oh, J. A., Kim, H. J.,& Park, J. H. (2008). effect of AromaTherapy on the Anxiety, Blood Pressure and Pulse of Uterine Leiomyoma Patients before Surgery. Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing. 14(1),28-35.
- Park, J. S., Park, J. E., Jang, S. Y., Kwak, H. W., & Han, J. A. (2011). Analysis of experimental researches in korea on the effects of aromatherapy to relieve pain. Korean Society for Hospice and Palliative care, 14(1), 8-19.
- Roh, K. H. (2004). effect of aroma leg massage on the depression and hope, stride length in the elderly. Korean Gerontological Nursing Society, 6(2), 163-169.
- Roh, K. H., & Park, H. A. (2009). A meta-analysis of the effects of aromatherapy on psychological variables in nursing. Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 20(2), 113-122.
- Salvatore, B. (2003).The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy (2nd ed). Brisbane: International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy.
- Shin, Y. S., Cho, Y. S., & Jung, Y. J. (2004).The effects of aromatherapy on autonomic nerve system and physical resistance of a stress. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 6(2), 5-17.
- Smith, M. C., & Kyle, L. (2008). Holistic foundation of aromatherapy of nursing. Holistic nursing practice, 22(1), 3-9; quiz 10-1. doi: 10.1097/01HNP.0000306321.03590.32. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.HNP.0000306321.03590.32
- Song, M. R., Park, K. J., Jo, S. H., & Cha, J. H. (2009). An analysis of researches on aromatherapy intervention. Journal of Korean Complement & Alternative Nursing Research, 1(1), 47-56.
- Suh, G. H., & Kwon, Y. E. (2007). Factors related to fatigue in woman with rhuematoid arthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 14(1), 61-69.
- Won, S. J. & Chae, Y. R. (2011). The effects of aromatherapy massage on the osteoarthritis pain, sleep, and stride length in older adults. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science.13(2), 142-148.
- Choi, M. O. (2004).The effect of aroma massage on stress in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunghee University. Seoul.
- Choi, S. W. (2008). effect of aromatherapy on aehavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia. The Korean Gerontological Society, 28(4), 1069-1087.
- Jang, H. H., Kang, H. W., Min, S. J., Yang, H. S., Lyu, Y. S., Lee, G. M. (2002). A clinical study on the effects of the aromatherapy. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 13(1), 3-18.
- Jung, H. M., & Jeon, Y. S. (2004). effects of the aroma massage on shoulder pain, depression, sleep disturbance in hemiparesis patients. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing, 7(2), 231-237.
- Kang, T. K. (2006). Study on the stress management by aromatherapy. Unpublished master's thesis, Nambu university. Gwangiu.
- Kim, K. D. (2008).The Analysis of Research about Effect of Aromatherapy on Stress in Nursing, (No. 28). Dae gu: Dae gu health college.
- Kim, K. D., & Suh, S. M. (2008) Meta-analysis about effect of aromatherrpy on stress. Korean Society for Hospice and Palliative care, 11(4), 188-195.
- Kim, H. J., & Han, S. H. (2006).The experiences in aromatherapy.The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 12(2), 248-256.
- Kim, M. J. (2005). Hospice care and aromatherapy. Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care, 9, 34-43.
- Kim, Y. O. (2004). Analysis of nursing studies on hardiness published in Korea. Journal of Academy of Adult Nursing, 16(1), 27-36.
- Buckley, J. (2002). Massage and aromatherapy massage: Nursing art and science. International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 8(6), 276-280. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2002.8.6.10497
- Cha, J. H., Kim, M. J., Kim, H. S., & Kim, Y. I. (2010). effects of aromatherapy in blendingoil of basil, lavender, rosemary, and rose on headache, anxiety and serum cortisol level in the middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 12(3), 133-139.
- Korea Education and Research Information Service. (1996, September 11) Academic Research Information Service. Retrieved July 19, 2012, from http://www.keris.or.kr/index.jsp.
- Lee, E., & Kim, K. S. (2011). The effects of aroma hand massage on anxiety and sleep in cancer patients during hospitalization. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 8(1), 42-53.
- Lee, J. W., Shin, Y. S., & Jung, Y. J. (2005).The effects of aromatherapy on the autonomic nerve system activation among nursing students. The Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 9(2), 237-244. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-005-0003-9
- Lee, K. H., Park, K. M., & Ryu, M. K. (2002).The effect of aromatherapy with lavenderessential oil on sleep disturbance and depression on middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Society of Meternal and Child Health, 6(1), 23-37
- Lee, M. H., Koh, K. W., Song, M. S., Woo, K. M., & Jo, S. H. (2004).The effect of aromatherapy on depression and anxiety of chronic hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 6(1), 53-64.
- Aromatherapy Nursing Intervention for Pain Relief A Systematic Review and Meta Analysis vol.14, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.271