- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Open-Cell Rigid Polyurethane Foam Using Reactive Cell Opening Agents
반응성 기포개방제를 이용한 개방기포형 경질우레탄폼
- Ahn, WonSool (Department of Chemical Engineering, Keimyung University)
- 안원술 (계명대학교 화학공학과)
- Received : 2013.04.22
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
Cell opening characteristics dependent on the cell openers for the conventional formulation of a closed-cell polyurethane foam (PUF) was studied using 1-butanol and lithium salt of 12-hydroxystearic acid (Li-12HSA) as the reactive cell opening agents. While cell openining content of only 10.5 % was obtained for the sample with 4 phr of 1-butanol as the single reactive cell opener, that of 98.0% could be obtained for the sample with 2 phr of Li-12HSA as the reactive co-cell opener. As the results, it showed that a fully open-cell rigid PUF could be obtained by introducing a novel reactive cell opener, having a functional group able to form a bulky side-chain on the urethane networks, without severe loss of mechanical properties of the closed-cell PUF like cell size, bulk density, and thermal conductivity.
Open-cell;Rigid polyurethane foam;Reactive cell opener
- K. Yoshida, "Polyurethane and Related Foams", CRC Press, FL, Ch. 4, pp. 65-96, 2007.
- U. Henri, "Chemistry and Technology of Isocyanate", John Wiley & Sons, N. Y., Ch. 2, pp. 469-481, 1996.
- Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, "Production and Use of Open Cell Rigid Polyurethane Foam", U.S Patent No. 5,350,777, 1999.
- X. D. Zhang, H. T. Davis, and C. W. Macosko, "A New Cell Opening Mechanism in Flexible Polyurethane Foam", J. Cellular Plas., 35, pp. 458-476, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021955X9903500506
- Samsung Electonics Co. Ltd., "Open Cell Rigid Polyurethane Foam and Method for Producing the Same and Method for Making Vacuum Insulation Panel Using Same", U.S Patent No. 5,889,067, 1999.
- T. Heinemann and W. Klan, "Fine Cell, Water -Blown Rigid Polyurethane Foams", U.S 2005/0014857 A1, 2005.
- J. Grimminger and K. Muha, "Silicone Surfactants for Pentane Blown Rigid Foam", Journal of Cellular Plastics, 31(1), pp. 48-72, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0021955X9503100104 https://doi.org/10.1177/0021955X9503100104
- J. Grimminger, "New Additive Solutions for Rigid Polyurethane and Polyisocyanurate. Lamination Foams", Proceedings of the 1999 RAPRA Catalysts and Surfactants in Polyurethane Foams Conference, 18(3), pp. 175-195, 1999.
- S. N. Singh, "Blowing Agents for Polyurethane Foams", ChemTec Publishing, Toronto, Ch. 4, pp. 11-22, 2002.
- G. Oertel, ed., "Polyurethane Handbook", 2nd ed, Hanser Publishers, N. Y., Ch. 6., pp. 247-328, 1993.
- M. Szycher, "Szycher's Handbook of Polyurethanes", CRC Press, N. Y., Ch. 8, pp. 1-46, 1999.
- D. Randall and S. Lee, ed., " The polyurethanes book", John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., N. Y., Ch. 15, pp. 229-244, 2002.