- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Cross Compressed Replication Scheme for Large-Volume Column Storages
대용량 컬럼 저장소를 위한 교차 압축 이중화 기법
- Byun, Siwoo (Division of Digital Media, Anyang University)
- 변시우 (안양대학교 디지털미디어학과)
- Received : 2013.03.13
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
The column-oriented database storage is a very advanced model for large-volume data analysis systems because of its superior I/O performance. Traditional data storages exploit row-oriented storage where the attributes of a record are placed contiguously in hard disk for fast write operations. However, for search-mostly datawarehouse systems, column-oriented storage has become a more proper model because of its superior read performance. Recently, solid state drive using MLC flash memory is largely recognized as the preferred storage media for high-speed data analysis systems. In this paper, we introduce fast column-oriented data storage model and then propose a new storage management scheme using a cross compressed replication for the high-speed column-oriented datawarehouse system. Our storage management scheme which is based on two MLC SSD achieves superior performance and reliability by the cross replication of the uncompressed segment and the compressed segment under high workloads of CPU and I/O. Based on the results of the performance evaluation, we conclude that our storage management scheme outperforms the traditional scheme in the respect of update throughput and response time of the column segments.
Column-oriented Database;Cross compression;MLC flash memory;SSD Replication
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- D. Abadi, S. Madden, and M. Ferreira. "Integrating compression and execution in column-oriented database systems", Proc. of SIGMOD, pp. 671-682, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1142473.1142548 https://doi.org/10.1145/1142473.1142548
- S. Byun. "Column-aware Polarization Scheme for High-Speed Database Systems", Journal of Korean Socieity Internet Information, Vol. 13, No.3, pp. 83-91, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2012.13.3.83 https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2012.13.3.83
- D. Abadi, A. Boncz, and S. Harizopoulos, "Columnoriented Database Systems", Proc. of the VLDB, Lyon, France, August 24-28 2009.
- S. Harizopoulos, V. Liang, D. J. Abadi, and S. Madden, "Performance tradeoffs in read-optimized databases", Proc. of VLDB, pp. 487-498, 2006.
- S. Byun. "Search Performance Improvement of Columnoriented Flash Storages using Segmented Compression Index", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial, Vol. 14, No.1, pp. 393-401, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.393 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.393
- Solid Data Systems, "Comparison of Drives Technologies for High-Transaction Databases", Solid Data Systems, Inc. White paper, 2007
- A. Halverson, J. Beckmann, and J. Naughton. "A comparison of c-store and row-store in a common framework", Technical Report, UW Madison Department of CS, TR1566, 2006.
- Lucas Mearian, "Analysis: SSD performance -- is a slowdown inevitable?", Available From: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9132668/Analysis_SSD_performance_is_a_slowdown_inevitable_?taxonomyId=19&pageNumber=3, (accessed 16 Mar. 2013)
- Samsung, Samsung, what is NAND Flash based SSD?,Available From: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductorproducts/flash/Products_FlashSSD.html, (accessed 16 Mar. 2013)
- D. Abadi, D. Myers, D. DeWitt, and S. Madden. "Materialization strategies in a column-oriented dbms", MIT CSAIL Technical Report. MIT-CSAIL-TR-2006-078, 2006 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ICDE.2007.367892 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICDE.2007.367892
- S. Byun, M. Hur, and H. Hwang, "An index rewriting scheme using compression for flash memory database systems" Journal of Information Science, Vol. 33, No.4, pp. 398-415, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0165551506076331 https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551506076331
- Oberhumer, LZO-- a real-time data compression library, Available From: http://www.oberhumer.com/opensource/lzo/lzodoc.php, (accessed 16 Mar. 2013)
- Mesquite, CSIM2.0 Development Toolkit for Simulation and Modeling, Available From: http:/ /www.Mesquite.com/documentation/documents/CSIM20_User_Guide-C.pdf, (accessed 16 Mar. 2013)