- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A screening of Alzheimer's disease using basis synthesis by singular value decomposition from Raman spectra of platelet
혈소판 라만 스펙트럼에서 특이값 분해에 의한 기저 합성을 통한 알츠하이머병 검출
- Park, Aaron (School of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Chonnam National University) ;
- Baek, Sung-June (School of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2013.03.04
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
In this paper, we proposed a method to screening of Alzheimer's disease (AD) from Raman spectra of platelet with synthesis of basis spectra using singular value decomposition (SVD). Raman spectra of platelet from AD transgenic mice are preprocessed with denoising, removal background and normalization method. The column vectors of each data matrix consist of Raman spectrum of AD and normal (NR). The matrix is factorized using SVD algorithm and then the basis spectra of AD and NR are determined by 12 column vectors of each matrix. The classification process is completed by select the class that minimized the root-mean-square error between the validation spectrum and the linear synthesized spectrum of the basis spectra. According to the experiments involving 278 Raman spectra, the proposed method gave about 97.6% classification rate, which is better performance about 6.1% than multi-layer perceptron (MLP) with extracted features using principle components analysis (PCA). The results show that the basis spectra using SVD is well suited for the diagnosis of AD by Raman spectra from platelet.
Alzheimer's disease;Dementia;Pattern recognition;Raman spectroscopy;Singular value decomposition
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- S.-J. Baek, A. Park, J. Kim, A. Shen and J. Hu, "A simple background elimination method for Raman spectra," Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 98, issue 1, pp. 24-30, Aug. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2009.04.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2009.04.007
- G. H. Golub and C. F. V. Loan, Matrix Computations, Third Edition, p.590-605, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996.
- Alzheimer's Society, What is Alzheimer's disease?, Alzheimer's Society, Available From: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info .php?documentID=100, (accessed Jan., 20, 2013)
- M. J. Cho et. al., Nationwide Study on the Prevalence of Dementia in Korean Elders, Seoul National University Hospital, p.122-137, Dec. 2008.
- R. Brookmeyer, E. Johnson, K. Ziegler and H. M. Arrighi, "Forecasting the global burden of Alzheimer's disease," Alzheimer's & Dementia, vol. 3, issue 3, pp. 186-191, July 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2007.04.381 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2007.04.381
- E. B. Hanlon, R. Manoharan, T.-W. Koo, K. E. Shafer, J. T. Motz, M. Fitzmaurice, J. R. Kramer, I. Itzkan, R. R. Dasari and M. S. Feld, "Prospects for in vivo Raman spectroscopy," Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 45, issue 2, pp. R1-R59, Feb. 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/45/2/201 https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/45/2/201
- P. Chen, A. Shen, W. Zhao, S.-J. Baek, H. Yuan and J. Hu, "Raman signature from brain hippocampus could aid Alzheimer's disease diagnosis," Applied Optics, vol. 48, no. 24, pp. 4743-4748, Aug. 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/AO.48.004743 https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.48.004743
- A. Park, S.-J. Baek and G.-S. Heo, "A Study on Diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease using Raman Spectra from Platelet," Journal of the Institute Electronics Engineers of Korea, vol. 47-SC, no. 4, pp. 40-46, July 2010.
- P. Chen, Q. Tian, S.-J. Baek, X. L. Shang, A. Park, Z. C. Liu, X. Q. Yao, J. Z. Wang, X. H. Wang, Y. Cheng, J. Peng, A. Shen and J. Hu, "Laser Raman detection of platelet as a non-invasive approach for early and differential diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease," Laser Physics Letters, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 547-552, July 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lapl.201110016 https://doi.org/10.1002/lapl.201110016
- A. Park, S.-J. Baek, A. Shen and J. Hu, "Detection of Alzheimers disease by Raman spectra of rat's platelet with a simple feature selection," Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, vol. 121, pp. 52-56, Feb. 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2012.11.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2012.11.011
- A. Savitzky and M. J. E. Golay, "Smoothing and Differentiation of Data by Simplified Least Squares Procedures," Analytical Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 1627-1639, July 1964. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ac60214a047 https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60214a047
- A Fast Search Algorithm for Raman Spectrum using Singular Value Decomposition vol.16, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8455