- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Predictive Factors on Breast Self-Examination Intention and Behavior in Middle Aged Women: Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior
계획된 행위이론에 근거한 중년기 여성의 유방자가검진 의도 및 행위 예측요인
- Bae, Phil Won (Department of Public Health, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Suh, Soon Rim (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2013.03.22
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
The purpose of this study was to predict the factors which are related to the intention and behaviour for breast self-examination (BSE) of middle aged women using the theory of planned behavior (TPB). A survey using a structured questionnaire was conducted wih 217 middle aged women. BSE behaviour was assessed at 1-month follow-up. The overall fit of the structural model to the date was acceptable(
Behavior;Breast self-examination;Intention;Middle aged;Theory of planned behavior
- S. Y. Jung, "The structural model for hand hygiene of infection prevention activities in hospital nurse", Ewha University, Unpublished doctoral dissertation, 2011.
- A. Bandura, "Social foundations of thought and action: A cognitive social theory". Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1986.
- K. D. McCaul, A. K. Sandgren, H. K. O'Neill, V. B. Hinsz, "The value of the theory of planned behavior, perceived control, and self-efficacy expectation for predicting health behaviors", Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 14, pp.231-252, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp1402_7 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324834basp1402_7
- C. J. Armitage, M. Conner, "Efficacy of the theory of planned behaviour: A meta analytic review", British Journal of Social Psychology, 40, 4, pp.471-499, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1348/014466601164939 https://doi.org/10.1348/014466601164939
- I. Ajzen, T. J. Madden, "Prediction of goal-directed behavior: Attitudes, intentions, and perceived behavioral control", Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 22, pp.453-474, 1986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(86)90045-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(86)90045-4
- R. M. Tolman, J. L. Edleson, M. Fendrich, "The applicability of the theory of planned behavior to abusive men's cessation of violent behavior". presented at the 4th International Family Violence Research Conference, 1985.
- M. Conner, P. Sparks, The theory of planned behaviour and health behaviour. In M. Conner & P. Norman (Eds), Predicting health behaviour p.170-222, Buckingham, UK: Open University Press, 2005
- P. Norman, Y. Cooper, "The theory of Planned behaviour and breast self-examination: Assessing the impact of past behaviour, context stability and habit strength", Psychology & Health, 26, 9, pp.1156-1172, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2010.481718 https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2010.481718
- T. Mason, K. White, "The role of behavioral normative and control beliefs in breast self-examination", Women & Health, 47, 3, pp.39-56, 2008a. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03630240802132344 https://doi.org/10.1080/03630240802132344
- T. Mason, K. White, "Applying and Extended Model of the Theory of Planned Behavior to Breast Self-Examination", Journal of Health Psychology, 13, 7, pp.946-955, 2008b. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1359105308095069 https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105308095069
- C. J. Ashton, W. Karnilowicz, D. Fooks, "The incidence of belief structures associated with breast examination", Social Behavior and Personality, 29, pp.223-230, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2001.29.3.223 https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2001.29.3.223
- P. Norman, S. Hoyle, "The theory of planned behavior and breast self-examination: Distinguishing between perceived control and self-efficacy", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 34, pp.94-708, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02565.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2004.tb02565.x
- A. J. Prestwich, M. T. Conner, R. J. Lawton, W. Bailey, J. Litman, V. Molyneaux, "Individual and collaborative implementation intentions and the promotion of breast self-examination", Psychology & Health 20, pp.743-760, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14768320500183335 https://doi.org/10.1080/14768320500183335
- H. M. Young, L. Lierman, G. Powell-Cope, D, Kasprzyk, J. Q. Benoliel, "Operationalizing the theory of planned behavior", Research in Nursing & Health, 14, pp.137-144, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770140208 https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770140208
- H. S. Lee, G. H. Lim, "Structural equation modelling with AMOS 18.0/19.0", Seoul: Jyphyunjae Publishing Co, 2011.
- S. Jirojwong, R. MacLennan, "Health beliefs, perceived self-efficacy, and berast self-examination among Thai migrants in Brisbane", Journal of Advanced Nursing, 41, 3, pp.241-249, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02552.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02552.x
- G. Godin, C. Gagne, J. Maziade, L. Moreault, D. Beaulieu, S. Morel, "Breast cancer: The intention to have a mammography and a clinical breast examination application of the theory of planned behavior", Psychology & Health, 16, 4, pp. 423-441, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08870440108405517 https://doi.org/10.1080/08870440108405517
- H. R. Yoo, S. H. Lee, T. K. Yoo, "Applicability of theory of planned behavior to smoking cessation intention: An empirical analysis using structural equation model", Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 26, 2, pp.49-61, 2009.
- Korean Breast Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Facts & Figures, Korean Breast Cancer Society, 2012, Available From: http://www/kbcs.or.kr/journal /file/2010_2012_6.pdf, (accessed., Oct, 15, 2012)
- Korean Statistical Information Cencter, 2010 Public Health Statistics, Statistics Korea, 2012 Available From: http://kosis.kr/abroad/abroad_01List .jsp? parentId=D. (accessed., Oct, 25, 2012).
- D. Puliti, G. Miccinesi, N. Collina, V. De Lisi, M. Federico, S. Ferretti, A. C. Finarelli, F. Foca, L. Mangone, C. Naldoni, M. Petrella, A. Ponti, N. Segnan, A. Sigona, M. Zarcone, M. Zorzi, M. Zappa, E. Paci, "Effectiveness of service screening: a case-control study to assess breast cancer mortality reduction", British Journal of Cancer, 99, 3, pp.423-427, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604532 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604532
- M. K. Salazar, "Breast self-examination beliefs: A descriptive study", Public Health Nursing, 11, 1, pp.45-56, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.1994.tb00389.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.1994.tb00389.x
- Y. Koibuchi, Y. Iino, H. Takei, M. Maemura, J. Horiquchi, T. Yokoe, Y. Morishita, "The effect of mass screening by physical examination combined with regular breast self examination on clinical stage and course of Japanese women with breast cancer", Oncology Reports, 5, 1, pp.151-155, 1998.
- Y. W. Lee, E. H. Lee, "Predicting factors of breast self-examination among middle aged women", Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 13, 4, pp.551-559, 2001.
- H. K. Hur, S. M. Park, "Difference of decisional balance and confidence in the stage of adoption for breast self-exam in married women", Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing, 16, 3, pp.493-501, 2001.
- K. Y. Park, S. H. Kim, "The comparison of factors related to performance of breast self-examination by age group in the middle and mature aged woman", Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 16, 1, pp.37-46, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.37 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2010.16.1.37
- E. L. Tolma, B. M. Reininger, A. Evans, J. Ureda, "Examining the Theory of Planned Behavior and the Construct of Self-Efficacy to Predict Mammography Intention", Health Education & Behavior, 33, 2, pp.233-251, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1090198105277393 https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198105277393
- I. Ajzen, From intentions to actions: A theory of planned behavior. In J. Kuhl and K. Beckmann(Eds), Action Control: From Cognition to Behavior, pp.11-39, New York: Springer, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-69746-3_2 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-69746-3_2
- I. Ajzen, Attitudes, Personality, and Behavior, New York: Open University Press, 2005.