- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Physical Functioning and Related Factors in the Elderly People Admitted Long-term Home Care Insurance
재가급여 장기요양인정 노인들의 신체기능 상태 및 관련요인
- Yoon, Seok-Han (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Sung (Department of Radiological Techniology, Daejeon Health Science College) ;
- Cho, Young-Chae (Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Chungnam National University School of Medicine and Research Institute for Medical Sciences)
- Received : 2013.03.05
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
This study was performed to determine the levels of physical functioning and to reveal its association with socio-demographic characteristics, health status and health related behaviors in the elderly people admitted long-term home care insurance. The interviews were performed, during the period from December 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012, to 618 home care elderlies admitted long-term care insurance dwelling in Daejeon city. As a results, the distribution of impaired ADL and IADL group of all subjects were 45.6% in ADL, and 48.4% in IADL. in consequently, the rate of impaired IADL group was higher than that of impaired ADL group. In logistic regression analysis, the adjusted odds ratio of the impaired ADL and IADL group were significantly increased in the group of male, living with spouse or family, bear for living expenses with son and daughter, health insurance, irregular exercise, seldom with frequency of going out, seldom with activity of hobbies, Subjective health status is good, and disability of body, visual acuity, hearing ability and mastication ability is good, and without urinary incontinence and amnesia. In conclusion, the level of physical functioning in the elderly people admitted long-term home care insurance was decreased in IADL than ADL. And the level of ADL and IADL were related with the various variables of socio-demographic characteristics, health status and health related behaviors.
Elderly people;Physical function;Home care insurance
- Kim JS. A Study on Self-Esteem, IADL, and Life Satisfaction in the Elderly. J Korean Acad of Nurs, 28(1):148-158, 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19184.108.40.206
- Kim CH, Lee JS, Shin SC, Lee HY, Yoo KJ. A Sociopsychiatric study of Activities of Daily Living and Mental Health Among the Elderly in a Korean Rural Community. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc. 31(6);1063-1071, 1992.
- Park KH, Lee YH. Association of social support and social activity with physical functioning in older persons. J Prev Med Public Health, 40(2):137-144, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2007.40.2.137 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2007.40.2.137
- Lee YH, Choi KS. Factors associated with physical functioning among community-dwelling older adults. Korean J Prev Med 32(3):325-322, 1999.
- Everard KM, Lach HW, Fisher EB, Baum MC, Relationship of activity and social support to functional health of older adults. J Gerontol B psychol SciSoc Sci 55(4);S208-S212. 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronb/55.4.S208 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/55.4.S208
- Mendes de Leon CF, Glass TA, Berkman LF. Social engagement and disability in a community population of older adults. Am J Epidemiol, 157(7):633-642, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg028 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwg028
- Jingu S, Egami Y, Kinukawa N, Sano S, Takei H. Factors related to functional capacity in community dwelling elderly people. Japan J Publ Hlth, 50(2):92-105, 2003.
- Salive ME, Guralnik JM. Disability outcomes of chronic disease and their implications for public health. In: Hicket T. Speers MA, Prohaska TR (ed). Public health and Aging. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University press, p87-1-6, 1997.
- Kivinen P, Sulkava R, Halonen P, Nissinen A. Self-reported and performance-based functional status and associated factors among elderly men: the Finnish cohorts of the Seven Countries Study. J Clin Epidemiol, 51:1243-1252, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(98)00115-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(98)00115-2
- Woo J, Ho SC, Yu LM, Yuen YK. Impact of chronic disease on functional limitations in elderly Chinese aged 70 years and over: a cross-sectional and longitudinal survey. J Gerontol: Med Sci, 53A:M102-M106, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/gerona/53A.2.M102 https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/53A.2.M102
- Kim HS, Bae NK, Kwon IS, Cho YC. Relationship between status of physical and mental function and quality of life among the elderly people admitted from long-term care insurance. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 43(4):319-329, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.4.319 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.4.319
- Fugita T, Hatano S. Prevalence of disability in activities of daily living and its correlatives among the elderly at home. Japanese Journal of Public Health, 36(2);76-87, 1989.
- Kobayashi Y, Kai I, OHi G, Kiuchi M. A study on instrumental activities of daily living and its related factors in the elderly in the farming community. Japanese Journal of Public Health, 36(4);243-249, 1989.
- Korea National Statistical Office. http://kosis.kr/common/meta_onedepth.jsp?vwcd=MT_CTITLE&listid=MT_CTITLE_E. 2011.
- National Health Insurance Corporation. National health interview survey on the long-term care insurance services. 2008.
- Stein RK, Gortmaker SL, Perrin EC, Perrin MJ, Pless IB, Walker DK, Wertzman. Severity of illness: concept and measurements. Lancet, 12;1506, 1987. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(87)92633-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(87)92633-X
- Katz, S. Studies of illness in the aged: the Index of ADL: A standardized measure of biological and psychosocial function. Journal of the American Medical Association, 185;914-919, 1963. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.1963.03060120024016 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1963.03060120024016
- Duke University, Center for the Study of Aging and Humam Development, Multidimensional functional assessment: the OARS methodology. A manual. 2nd ed. Durham, North Carolina, 1978.
- Pfeiffer E. Multidimensional functional assessment: the OARS methodology. A manual. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, 1975.
- Donaldson LJ, Clyton DG, Clarke M. The elderly in residential care : mortality in relation to functional capacity. J. Epidemiol Community Health, 34;96-10, 1980. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/jech.34.2.96 https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.34.2.96
- Guralnik JM, Siminsick EM. Physical disability in older Americans. J Gerontol, 48(Spec No):3-10, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronj/48.Special_Issue.3 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/48.Special_Issue.3
- Chong KH, Cho YJ, Oh YH, Byeon JK, Byeon YC, Moon HS. A national wide survey on living condition and welfare need of old ages in 1998. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 1998
- Park JY. Assessment of instrumental ability of daily living in the urban elderly. Graduate School of Public Health Chungnam National University, 2001.
- The Effect on Health Care Utilization of the Non-Use of Beneficiaries of Long-Term Care Insurance Service - around of Geriatric Hospital's Medical Cost - vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7463