- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The effect of Neurofeedback training on brain wave activity and cognitive performance in chronic stroke patients
뉴로피드백(Neurofeedback) 훈련이 만성 뇌졸중 환자의 뇌파활성도와 인지수행력에 미치는 효과
- Lee, Young-Sin (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Graduate School of Dongshin University) ;
- Kim, Sang-Yeob (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Kim, Chan-Kyu (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Jung, Dae-In (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Yoon (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Dongshin University)
- 이영신 (동신대학교대학원 물리치료학과) ;
- 김상엽 (광주보건대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김찬규 (광주보건대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 정대인 (광주보건대학교 물리치료학과) ;
- 김경윤 (동신대학교 물리치료학과)
- Received : 2013.02.15
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
This study was done objected to the chronic stroke patients in order to evaluate change in brain wave activity and cognitive performance when Neurofeedback training. The subjects were over 6 months ago in chronic stroke patients screened-test through the 20 patients, 10 persons in each group were randomly placed. This was carried out in 4 weeks in total, with control group(n=10) on general physical therapy and experimental group(n=10) on general physical therapy along with Neurofeedback training. The general physical therapy was applied 5 times a week, 30 minutes at once, Neurofeedback training was applied as equally as the general physical therapy, which makes 20 times in total. To learn about the effect before the training, after training, and 2 weeks after the training in electric physiological measurement method of the brain, electroencephalogram(EEG) to examine challenges by calculating the absolute spectrum power for standard EEG change(%), followed by evaluation with clinical assessment tool MMSE-K, Stroop Test, Digit Span Test. As a result of comparing the change in brain wave through EEG, after training and 2 weeks after training showed that absolute
Chronic stroke;Cognitive performance;EEG;Neurofeedback training
- Schaechter J. D, "Motor rehabilitation and brain plasticity after hemiparetic stroke," Prog Neurobiol, Vol.73, No.1, pp61-72, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2004.04.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pneurobio.2004.04.001
- Russell A. Barkley, Gail Grodzinsky, George J. DuPaul, "Frontal lobe functions in attention deficit disorder with and without hyperactivity" A review and research report, Vol.20, No.2, pp163-188, 1992.
- Keller I, "Neurofeedback therapy of attention deficits in patients with traumatic brain injury," Journal of Neurotherapy, Vol.5, No.1-2, pp19-32, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J184v05n01_03 https://doi.org/10.1300/J184v05n01_03
- Carlos Escolano, Monica Aguilar, Javier Minguez, "EEG-based upper alpha Neurofeedback training improves working memory performance," Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, pp2327-2330, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IEMBS.2011.6090651 https://doi.org/10.1109/IEMBS.2011.6090651
- Egner, T, Gruzelier, J. H, "EEG biofeedback of low beta band components: frequency-specific effects on variables of attention and event-related brain potentials, " Clin Neurophysiol, Vol.115, No.1, pp131-139, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1388-2457(03)00353-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1388-2457(03)00353-5
- J. M. Kim, I. S. Shin, J. S. Yoon, H. Y. Lee, "Comparison of Diagnostic Validities between MMSE-K and K-MMSE for Screening of Dementia," J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, Vol 42, No. 1, pp124-130, 2002.
- Y. C. Kwon, J. H. Park, "Korean Version of Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE-K)," J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, Vol. 28, pp125-135, 1989.
- Strauss G. P, Allen D. N, Jorgensen M. L, Cramer S. L, "Test-retest reliability of standard and emotional stroop tasks: an investigation of color-word and picture-word versions" Assessment, Vol.12, No.3, pp330-337, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/1073191105276375
- G. A. Kim, M. J. Lee "Memory disturbance and Executive dysfunction of patients with traumatic brain injury: according to severity of brain injury" , Journal of Koreanpsychology. Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.849-867, 2005.
- Y. W. Kang, J. H. Chin, D. L. Na "A Normative Study of the Digit Span Test for the Elderly", Journal of Koreanpsychology. Vol.21, No.4, pp.911-922, 2002.
- H. G. Kim, T. J. Park, "Korean norm for the difference between digits forward and digits backward," The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp599-613, 2003.
- Mercier L, Audet T, Hebert R, Rochette A, Doubois M. F, "Impact of motor, cognitive, and perceptual disorders on ability to perform activities of daily living after stroke," Stroke, Vol.32, No.11, pp2602-2608, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/hs1101.098154 https://doi.org/10.1161/hs1101.098154
- S. R. Lee, "A study on relationship between activities of daily living and cognitive score in stroke patients," Daegu University, 2003
- H. R. Yang, "Effects of neurofeedback self-regulated training on recall and recognition," Busan university, 2009.
- Chariter, D, Chariter, L, "QEEG Assessment of Traumatic brain injury and stroke patients," J Neurotherapy, Vol.7, No.1, pp113-134, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1300/J184v07n01_11
- Bearden T. S, Cassisi J. E, Pineda M, "Neurofeedback training for a patient with thalamic and cortical infarctions," Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback, Vol.28, No.3, pp241-53, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1024689315563 https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024689315563
- Klimesch W, Doppelmayr M, Hanslmayr S, "Upper alpha ERD and absolute power: their meaning for memory performance," Prog Brain Res, Vol.159, pp151-165, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6123(06)59010-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6123(06)59010-7
- Vernon D, Egner T, Cooper N, Compton T, Neilands C, Sheri A, Gruzelier J, "The effect of training distinct neurofeedback protocols on aspects of cognitive performance," J Psychophysiol, Vol.47, No.1, pp75-85, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8760(02)00091-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8760(02)00091-0
- Byers, A. P, "Neurofeedback therapy for a mild head injury," J Neurotherapy, Vol.1, No.1, pp22-37, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J184v01n01_04 https://doi.org/10.1300/J184v01n01_04
- J. M. Sim, H. H. Kim, Y. S Lee, "Effects of Computerized Neurocognitive Function Program Induced Memory and Attention for Patients with Stroke," J Korean Soc Phys Ther, Vol. 19, No 4, pp25-32, 2009..
- S. A. Lee, M. S. Cheong, K. J. Chai, "The Effects of the Computer-Assisted Cognitive Rehabilitation on Cognition, Perception, Activities of Daily Living on Traumatic Head Injury Patients," The Korea society occupational of therapy, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp123-132. 2001.
- S. H. Shin, M. H. Ko, Y. H. Kim, "Effect of Computer-Assisted Cognitive Rehabilitation Program for Patients with Brain Injury," Ann Rehabil Med. Vol. 26, pp1-8, 2002.
- Y. H. Kim, "Cognitive Rehabilitation for the Patients with Vascular Dementia," Korean J Stroke, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp154-157, 2000.
- Thornton K.E, Carmody D. P, "Efficacy of traumatic brain injury rehabilitation: interventions of QEEG-guided biofeedback, computers, strategies, and medications," Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback.. Vol.3, No.2, pp101-24. 2008 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10484-008-9056-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s10484-008-9056-z
- Wing, K, "Effect of neurofeedback on motor recovery of a patient with brain injury: a case study and its implications for stroke rehabilitation," Top Stroke Rehabil, Vol.8, No.3, pp45-53, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1310/4G2F-5PLV-RNM9-BGGN https://doi.org/10.1310/4G2F-5PLV-RNM9-BGGN
- Sterman, M. B, Egner, T, "Foundation and practice of neurofeedback for the treatment of epilepsy," Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback, Vol.31, No.1, pp21-35, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10484-006-9002-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s10484-006-9002-x
- K. van der Hiele, Vein A. A, Reijntjes R. H, Westendorp R. G, Bollen E. L, van Buchem M. A, van Dijk J. G, Middelkoop H. A, "EEG correlates in the spectrum of cognitive decline," Clin Neurophysiol, Vol.11.8, No.9, pp1931-1939, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clinph.2007.05.070 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinph.2007.05.070
- Vernon, D. J, "Can Neurofeedback training enhance performance? An evaluation of the evidence with implications for future Research with implication," Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback, Vol.30, No.4, pp347-364, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10484-005-8421-4 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10484-005-8421-4
- Putmen, J. A, "EEG Biofeedback on a female stroke patient with depression: A case study," J Neurotherapy, Vol.5, No.3, pp27-38, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J184v05n03_04 https://doi.org/10.1300/J184v05n03_04
- Benedikt Zoefel, Rene J. Huster, Christoph S. Herrmann, "Neurofeedback traning of the upper alpha frequency band in EEG improves cognitive performance. Neuroimage," Vol.54, No.2, pp1427-1431, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.08.078 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.08.078
- Reddy R. P, Rajan J, Bagavathula I, Kandavel T, "Neurofeedback training to Enhance Learning and Memory in Patient with Traumatic Brain Injury: A Single Case Study," J Psychos Reh, Vol.14, No.1, pp21-28, 2009.
- Y. K. Park, "The effect of neurofeedback on cognitive function in stroke patients by Beta-SMR training," Inje University, 2012.
- Michael Droppelmayr, Herwig Nosko, Thomas Pecherstorfer, Alexander Fink, "An attempt to increase Cognitive Performance after stroke with Neurofeedback," Biofeedback, Vol.35, No.4, pp.126-130, 2007.
- Shumway-cook, A, Woolacott. M. H, Motor control: Translating research into clinical practice 3rd edition, Philadelphia, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006.
- Linden T, Skoog I, Fagerberg B, Steen B, Blomstrand C, "Cognitive impairment and dementia 20 months after stroke," Neuroepidemiology, Vol.23, No.1-2, pp.45-52, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000073974 https://doi.org/10.1159/000073974
- Pendleton, H. M, Schultz-Krohn, W, Pedretti's Occupational Therapy 6th edit. SanJose : Mosby, 2006.
- Campbell A, J, Borrie M. J, Spears G. F, Jackson S. L, Brown J. S, Fitzgerald J. L, "Circumstance phases and consequences of falls experienced by a community population 70 years and over during a prospective study," Age Ageing, Vol.19, No.5, pp345-346, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ageing/19.5.345 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/19.5.345
- J. H. Jung, "The Effects of Neurofeedback training and Computer Assisted Cognitive Rehabilitation Training on Brainwave, Cognition, and ADL in PostStroke.," Sahmyook University, 2011.
- O' Shea S, Morris ME, Iansek R, "Dual task interference during gait in people with Parkinson disease: effects of motor versus cognitive secondary tasks," Phys Ther, Vol.82, No.9, pp888-897, 2002.
- H. J. Kim, S. J. Lee, K. Y. Kam, "A review of computer-assisted cognitive rehabilitation(CACR)," Society of Occupational Therapy for the Aged and Dementia, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp-46, 2008.
- H. H. Kim, The Effects of Evidence-Based Cognitive Training Program on the Attention and Memory of Patients With Stroke, Inje University," 2009.
- The Review for Studies of Neurofeedback Training vol.25, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2014.25.3.271