- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Relationships between the Empowerment, ursing Performance, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention of Long-term Care Hospital Nurses
노인요양병원 간호사의 임파워먼트와 간호업무성과, 직무만족 및 이직의도와의 관련성
- Song, Myung-Sook (College of Nursing, Catholic University of Pusan)
- 송명숙 (부산가톨릭대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2013.02.08
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
The purpose of this study is to explore the relationships between the empowerment, nursing performance, job satisfaction and turnover intention of long-term care hospital nurses. The subjects were 258 nurses at a long-term care hospital in B and U city. The data were collected from November 23, 2012 to January 21, 2013. Data were analyzed by SPSS win 20.0 program. The mean score of empowerment was 3.22, nursing performance was 3.78, job satisfaction was 3.25 and turnover intention was 2.87. Empowerment was correlated with nursing performance and job satisfaction positively, but correlated with turnover intention negatively. As a result of multiple regression, empowerment has 50.3% of the explanatory power on job satisfaction, 13.4% on nursing performance, and 21.9% on turnover intention. The significant predictive factors of nursing performance and job satisfaction were information and support in empowerment. In addition, turnover intention was resources in empowerment. These results suggest that empowerment improvement programs should be focused on developments to improve the quality of nursing.
Empowerment;Job Satisfaction;Long-term Care Hospital Nurses;Nursing Performance;Turnover Intention
Supported by : 부산가톨릭대학교
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. "National Health Insurance Statistical Yearbook for 2012", www.nhic.or.kr/portal, June 2012.
- Kang, S.Y., "A Study on the Professional Self-Concept of Nurses Working on the Geriatric Hospitals", Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, Asan, 2009.
- Kim, E.S., "A Study on the Attitude of Long-Term Care Hospital Nurses to Elderly People and Job Satisfaction", Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu Haany University KyoungBuk, Daegu, 2009.
- Choi, M.Y., "Factors to be Affect in Leaving their Position for the Care Givers in Elder Care Unit", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, 2009.
- Jun, Y.J., Kim, I.A., Han, K.S., Lim, G.Y., "The Effects of Empowerment on Job Satisfaction-Focusing on Fallowership Style-", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 11, No.1, pp.23-31, 2005.
- Kim, M.R., "Influential Factors on Turnover Intention of Nurses : The Affect of Nurse's Organizational Commitment and Career Commitment to Turnover Intention", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.335-344, 2007.
- Conger, J. A., & Kanungo, R. N., "The Empowering Process: Integrating Theory and Practice". Academy of Management Review, Vol. 13, pp.471-482, 1988. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/258093 https://doi.org/10.2307/258093
- Suominen, T., Leino-Kilpi, H., Merja, M., Irvine Doran, K., & Puukka, P., "Staff Empowerment In finnish Intensive Care Units". Intensive Critical Care Nursing, Vol. 17, pp.341-347, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1054/iccn.2001.1606 https://doi.org/10.1054/iccn.2001.1606
- Koh, M.S., "A Study on the Influence of Empowerment on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment of Clinical Nurses", Korean journal of hospital management, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.23-45, 2004.
- Madden, M.A., "Empowering Nurses at the BedSide: What is the Benefit?", Australian Critical Care, Vol. 20, pp.49-52, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.aucc.2007.02.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aucc.2007.02.002
- Yang, K.M., "Analysis of the Relationship between the Empowerment, the Job-Related Individual Characteristics and the Work Performance of Nurses", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, 1999.
- Kim, H.K., "The Effect of Empowerment of Job Satisfaction on Operating Room Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, 2002.
- Park, J.Y., "Study on Empowerment Level, Job Stress and Nursing Work Performance". Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, 2003.
- Yom, K.H., Choi, K.S., " The Effect of Psychological Empowerment and Transformational Leadership on Organizational Commitment among Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.315-322, 2005.
- Yoo, S.O., Lee S.Y., Han, S.O., Chang N.S., Kim, Y.O., Hur, J.Y., Yom, Y.H., "Empowerment, Performance and Job Satisfaction Perceived by Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp.406-414, 2006.
- Oh, E.H, Chung, B.Y., "The Effect of Empowerment on Nursing Performance, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention in Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.391-401, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.391
- Hauck, A. Quinn Griffin, M.T. & Fitzpatrick, J.J., "Structural Empowerment and Anticipated Turnover among Critical Care Nurses", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 19, pp.269-276, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01205.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01205.x
- Chunfeng Cai, Zongkui Zhou, "Structural Empowerment, Job satisfaction, and Turnover Intention of Chinese Clinical Nurses", Nursing and Health Sciences, Vol. 11, pp.397-403, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2009.00470.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2009.00470.x
- Jung, S.M., "The Relationship with the Knowledge, Attitude and Nursing Practice of the Nurses-towards the Elderly in Geriatric Hospitals", Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Daegu, Daegu, 2009.
- Kim, J.R., Kim, K.H., "A Study on Job Stress and the Turnover Intention of Long-term Care Hospital Nurses". Journal of korean academy of nursing, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.1-11, 2010.
- Lee, J.S., "A Phenomenological Study on the Burnout Experience for Nurses in Geriatric Hospital". Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan, Busan, 2010.
- Park, Y.O., Lee, K.J., Cho, E.H., Park, H.J., "Factors affecting Turnover Intention of Nurses in Long-Term Care Facilities for Elderly People", Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.81-89, June 2009.
- Tourangeau, A., Cranley, L., Laschinger, H.K.S. & Pachis, J., "Relationships among Leadership Practices, Work Environments, Staff Communication and Outcomes in Long-term Care", Journal of Nursing Management, Vol. 18, pp.1060-1072, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01125.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01125.x
- Caspar, S. & O'Rourke, N., "The Influence of Care Provider Access to Structural Empowerment on Individualized Care in Long-Term-Care Facilities". Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, Vol. 63B, No. 4, pp255-265, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronb/63.4.S255 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otc.2004.06.006
- Kanter, R. M.. Change masters, New York: Simon & Schuter, 1983.
- Chandler, G. E., "The relationship of Nursing Work Environment to Empowerment and Powerlessness", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, 1987.
- Park, S.A., "An Exploratory Study on the Relationship between Leadership Style and Performance in Korean Nursing Units". Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, 1989.
- Locke, E., "The Nature and Causes of Job Satisfaction", Handbook of industrial and organizational Psychology, Chicago: Rand Mcnally, 1976.
- Slavitts, D.B. & Stamps P.L. & Piedmont, E.B. & Hasse, A.M., "Measurement of Work Satisfaction among Health Professionals". Medical Care, Vol. 16, No.4, pp.337-350, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197804000-00006 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197804000-00006
- Lee, S.S., "Comparison Study on the Level of Job Satisfaction of Operating Room and Recovery Room Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 1996.
- Lawer, E.E., "Satisfaction and Behavior". New York: McGrow Hill, 1983.
- Kim, Y.R., "A Study on the Turnover Intention of the Oncology Nurse", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 2007.
- Park, J.S. & Park, B.N., "The Influence of Empowerment on Job Satisfaction, Task Performance and Turnover Intention by Hospital Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.150-158, 2008.
- Song, H.S., "A study on the Empowerment and Job Satisfaction, Job Performance in Hospital Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Woosuk University, Seoul, 2012.
- Koo, O.H., "Clinical Nurses's Perception of Empowerment Structural Model in Nursing Organization", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chungnam National University, Taejon, 2000.
- Kim S.H., "Ethical Dilemma, Empowerment and Job Satisfaction of Home Health Care Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University, Suwon, 2011.
- Kim, H.S., "The Relationship between the Empowerment and the Job Satisfaction of Recovery Room Nurses". Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2008.
- Park, H.H., "The Effect of Clinical Nurses' Power and Empowerment on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment", Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, 2005.
- Oh, J., " The Relationship between the Empowerment and the Job Satisfaction of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanuang University, Seoul, 2007.
- Hur, Y.J., "Relationship between Empowerment, Job Stress and Burnout of Nurses in Hemodialysis Units", Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University. Daegu, 2009.
- Sim, M.R., Kim, K.H., " Job Satisfaction, Self-Esteem, and Nursing Task Performance among Registered Nurses and Nurse Assistants in Long-Term Care Hospitals", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 16, No, 4, pp.446-454, 2010. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.446
- Lee, U.H., "A study on Job Stress and Job Satisfaction of Nurses in Long-Term Care Hospital", Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University. Seoul, 2010.
- Choi, Y.J., "A study on the Related Factors of Organizational Commitment in Hospital Nurses", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2009.
- Jui-Chu Ma, Pi-Hsia Lee, Yuh-Cheng Yang, Wen-Yin Chang, "Predicting Factors Related to Nurses' Intention to Leave, Job Satisfaction, and Perception of Quality of Care in Acute Care Hospitals", Nursing Economics, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp.178-202, 2009.
- Hodgin, R.F., Chandra, A. & Weaver, C., "Correlates to Long-Term Care Nurse Turnover: Survey Results from the State of West Virginia", Hospital Topics, Vol. 88, No. 4, pp.91-97, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00185868.2010.528258 https://doi.org/10.1080/00185868.2010.528258
- Laschinger HKs, Finegan J, Shamian J., "The Impact of Workplace Empowerment, Organizational Trust on Staff Nurses' Work Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment", Health Care Manage. Rev. Vol. 26, pp.7-23, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00004010-200107000-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00004010-200107000-00002
- Armstrong K.J., Laschinger H., "Structural Empowerment, Magnet Hospital Characteristics, and Patient Safety Culture: Making the Link". Journal of Nursing Care Quality, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp.124-132, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00001786-200604000-00007 https://doi.org/10.1097/00001786-200604000-00007
- Jun, J.K. & Lee, C.W., "The Effects of Empowerment on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions in the Hotel Industry", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Hospitality Administration, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp169-184, 2001.
- Yoon, S.S., "A Study on the Empowerment, Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intention of Hotel Culinary Employees". Unpublished master's thesis, Hansung University, Seoul, 2010.
- Perception and practice of hospital infection control in nurses of geriatric hospital : for convergent approach vol.13, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.461
- The effects of emotional labor and nursing organizational culture on the empowerment among psychological nurses vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.3.2038
- The Effects of Emotional Labor and Job Involvement on Turnover Intention of Nurses in Long-term Care Hospitals vol.24, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.4.290
- Evidence-Based Practice and Job Satisfaction of Nurses in Long-Term Care vol.06, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojn.2016.612094
- Factors Influencing Nurse Turnover Intention of Senior Convalescence Hospitals in the Metropolitan Area vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2016.25.3.156
- Relationships of Nursing Professionalism, Self-Leadership and Empowerment of Nursing Students vol.4, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15205/kschs.2016.4.1.532
- Effect of Head Nurses' Authentic Leadership on Nurses' Job Satisfaction and Nursing Performance: Focusing on the Mediating Effects of Empowerment vol.25, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2019.25.1.25