- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Relation between Motivations of Using Smartphone and Its Overuse in Health College Students
보건계열 대학생의 스마트폰 이용 동기와 과다사용 간의 관계
- Park, Dae-Sung (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Yu, Eun-Yeong (Department of Health Administration, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Lee, Byung-Hoon (Group of Industry-Academy Cooperation, Chunnam-Techno College)
- Received : 2013.02.25
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
This study was to examine the influential factors of smartphone overuse in health college students. The subjects of this study were randomly selected from the departments of Emergency Medical Technology, Physical Therapy and Health Administration at G College in G metropolitan city and 250 subjects were sampled. After explaining the purposes of the research from Oct. 22 to 25, 2012 and obtaining their consent to take part in the research, structured self-administered questionnaire was given and examined. Final 223 data were collected and used for analysis with SPSS 12.0 for Window. To sum up the results of the research, it was confirmed that the motives of using smartphone were highest in entertainment and leisure on withdrawal of overuse sub-factors, ostentation and trend on tolerance, entertainment and leisure on compulsion and obsession, ostentation and trend on life inconvenience and side-effects, and entertainment and leisure throughout its overuse motives. Therefore, development and application of preventive education programs on overuse smartphone use with health college students are urgently required and practical personal counseling and management for overuse smartphone users should be conducted.
Health College Students;Smartphone;Use Motive;Overuse
- Y. M. Park, "A study on adults' smart phone addiction and mental health", Unpublished master's thesis, Sangji University, 2011.
- H. J. Shaffer, "On the nature and meaning of addiction", National Forum, Vol.79, No.4, pp. 10-14, 1999.
- http://news.donga.com/3/all/20100210/26091640/1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ donga+%28donga%29
- J. L. Han, G. H. Hur, "Construction and validation of mobile phone addiction scale", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.48, No.6, pp. 138-165, 2004.
- S. K. Lee, J. H. Kim, "A study on the utilization of mobile phone contents, recognized risks, and mobile phone addiction", Korea Regional Communication Research Association, Vol.9 No.4, pp. 540-575, 2009.
- H. M. Cho, "Introduction of digital media and consequent new risk types-focus on the analysis of user risk perception and risk features of smart phones as convergence media", Korea Contents Society, Vol.11, No.8, pp. 353-364. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.8.353
- P. K. Smith, C. H. Hart, "Blackwell handbook of childhood social development", Blackwell Handbooks of Developmental Psychology, 2002.
- M. S. Lee, "Smartphone addiction and related social concerns", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2010.
- I. Y. Yang, S. Y. Lee, "Exploring smartphone early adopters categories on the basis of motivations", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 109-139, 2011.
- O. M. Sin, "The relationships between smartphone usage motivation and utilization degreeand smartphone overuse", Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, 2011.
- J. S. Park, M. H. Kang, "Relationship among the overuse of cellular phones, attachment in middle schoolers", Journal of Psychotherapy, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 1-15, 2007.
- H. J. Cheon, "A study on the factors affecting mobile phones addiction : focusing on usage pattern, personality, interpersonal characteristics", Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, 2008.
- M. O. Yu, "A study on high school students' cellular phone addiction, mental health and impulsiveness", Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon University, 2009.
- S. H. Sohn, Y. J. Choi, "Understanding acceptance of smartphone among early adopters using extended technology acceptance model", Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol.55, No.2, 2011.
- W. K. Park, "The Mobile Phone Addiction among Korean College Students", Korean journal of journalism &communication studies, Vol.47, No.2, pp. 250-281, 2003.
- Y. S. Kim, "A study on the relationship between the mobile phone addiction and psychological maturity of high school students", Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, 2004.
- E. J. Song, "Original articles : the relationship between the using mobile phone and mental health state of high school students", J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 325-333, 2006.
- J. S. Park, "The variables in influencing on smart phone addiction in adolescents and college students", Unpublished master's thesis, Dankook University, 2011.