- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Emergency Medical Technology Students' Awareness and Performance of Standard Precautions in Hospital Infection Control
응급구조과 학생의 병원감염 표준주의에 대한 인지도와 수행도
- Choi, Sung-Soo (Dept. of Health Science, Chosun University) ;
- Yun, Seong-Woo (Dept. of Health Science, Chosun University)
- Received : 2013.02.07
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
This study was to provide the basic data to raise the efficient practices that can reduce the Infection Prevention and Exposure by understanding the awareness, Performance degree of the Administrative Standard Guideline of Nosocomial Infection Control for Emergency Medical Technician students who are exposed to hospital infections while conducting clinical practice. After the study, the performance degree was lower than the awareness of the Performance degree of the Administrative Standard Guideline of Nosocomial Infection Control. And awareness and performance degree are have significant positive correlation, significant differences statistically(r=0.325, p=0.000). In the future, to improve the Performance degree of Nosocomial Infection Control for Emergency Medical Technician students, the continuing education programs and the curriculums should be performed in the practice agencies.
Awareness;EMT Students;Hospital Infection control;Performance
- CG. Mayhall, Hospital Epidemilolgy and Infection Control, pp. 1659-1702, 2004.
- Y. R. Park, "Knowledge, Attitude and Self-Confidence of Student Nurses Regarding Nosocomial Infection Control", The J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 429-436, November, 2007.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Nosocomial Infection Prevention Guidelines, 2005. 보건복지부(2005). 병원감염예방관리지침.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Preventing Transmission of Infections Agents in Healthcare Settings, 2007.
- Korean Society for NosoComial Infection Control, "Nosocomial Infection Control Guidelines", 2006.
- TT. Tessa, "Surveillance of Nosocomial Infections", Phil J Microbiol Infect Dis, Vol.26, No.2, pp.99-101, March, 1997.
- C. S. Lee, J. H. Hwang, S. Y. Seon, et al. "Exposure to blood and body fluids for medical students during clerkship", The Korean Journal of Medicine, Vol. 74, No. 5, pp. 500-505, January, 2008.
- S. Deisenhammer, K. Radon, D. Nowak, J. Reichert, "Needlestick injuries during medical training", J of Hospital infection, Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 263-267, May, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2006.01.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2006.01.019
- S. Y. Hong, Y. S. Kwon, H. O. Park, "Nursing Students Awareness and Performance on Standard Precautions of Infection Control in the Hospital", J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 293-302, August, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293
- G. L. Kim, E. S. Choi, "Recognition and Performance on Management for Nosocomial Infections among Nursing Students", Korean J Women Health Nurs, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 232-240, September, 2005.
- M. K. Allison, M. E. Alexis, J. F. Victoria, "Surjery of Knowledge, beliefs, and practices of neonatal intensive care unit healthcare workers regarding nosocomial infections, central venous catheter care, and hand hygiene", Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol, Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 747-752, July, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/502471 https://doi.org/10.1086/502471
- I. F. Angelillo, A. Mazziotta, G. Nicotera, "Nurses and hospital infection control: Knowledge, attitudes and behaviour of Italian operating theatre staff", J Hosp Infect, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 105-112, June, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/jhin.1998.0571 https://doi.org/10.1053/jhin.1998.0571
- A. D.Stein, T. P. Makarawo, M. F. Ahmad, "A survey of doctors and nurses Knowledge, attitudes and compliance with infection control guidelines in Birmingham teaching hospitals", J Hosp Infect, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 68-73, January, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0195-6701(03)00074-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0195-6701(03)00074-4
- K. L. Cho, "Influencing factors on the compliance about standard precautions among ICU and ER nurses", Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, 2007.
- Y. H. Suh, H. Y. Oh, "Knowledge, Preception, Safety Climate, and Compliance With Hospital Infection Standard Precautions among Hospital Nurses", J of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 61-70, April, 2010.
- K. H. Yang, "Awareness and Performance of the Nurses to Standard Precautions for Infection Control in a University Hospital, Unpublished master's thesis, Chonbuk National University, 2010.
- S. Y. Hee, H. K. Nam, "The Study of the Knowledge and Performance of Nursing Students for the Nosocomial Infection Control", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.15, No.1, pp.40-49, May, 2006.
- S. N. Park, E. Y. Lee, K. M. Kim, S. J. Han, "Knowledge, Compliance and Levels of Risk Factor Recognition for Needlstick Injuries in Students Nurses", J Korean Acad Funda Nurs, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 337-346, December, 2005.
- D. R. Smith, P. A. Leggat, "Needlestick and sharps injuries among nursing students", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 51, No. 5, pp. 449-455, August, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03526.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03526.x
- H. S. Kim, "Effect of Infection Control Education on Knowledge, Attitude and Self-Confidence of Student Nurses About Nosocomial Infection Control", The J of Korean Society for School Health Education, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 47-59, June, 2009.
- J. A. Park, "Level of Recognition and Performance of Nursing Students about the Management of Nosocomial Infection", Bulletin of Dongnam Health College, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 39-53, June, 2006.
- B. H. Cho, J. Y. Moon, M. K. Kang, et al., "A Study on the Awareness and the Performance of the Nursing Students toward the Infection Control", Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 59-72, August,
- H. Y. Shin, K. H. Kyung, K. S. Kim, "Study on the Pediatric Nurses Attitudes and Compliance With Hospital Infection Standard Precautions", J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 238-246, October, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.238 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2011.17.4.238
- H. M. Park, M. S. Hong, "A Study on the Level of Recognition and Performance of the Clinical Nurses about the Management of Nosocomial Infection", Chonnam Journal of Nursing Science, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 25-38, August, 2006.
- R. Chan, A. Molassiotis, E. Chan, V. Chan, B. Ho, C. Lai, et al. "Nurses' knowledge of and compliance with universal precautions in an acute care hospital", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 39, No. 2 pp. 157-163, February, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(01)00021-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(01)00021-9
- Ministry of Government Legislation, http://www.moleg.go.kr/ (accessed Nov., 11, 2012)