- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Development of a Drug Dosage Calculation Learning Smartphone Application
약물용량계산 학습 스마트폰 어플리케이션 개발
- Kim, Myoung-Soo (Department of Nursing, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, Jung-Ha (Department of Nursing, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2013.02.04
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
The objective of this study was to develop and evaluate learning smartphone application for improving drug dosage calculation ability of nursing students. We evaluated the contents based on the sufficient teaching materials and developed the process for implementation of the educational system. The participants were 37 nursing students. After implementation during 4 weeks, data was analyzed with the SPSS WIN 18.0. There were significant differences of achievement of learning objectives(
Smartphone application development;Drug dosage calculation
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Brooks, Deborah., "Smart phone applications reviews". Nephrology Nursing Journal, 39(2), pp. 147-149, 2012.
- Nursing Midwifery Council., "Guidelines for the Administration of Medication", NMC, London, 2004.
- Grandell-Niemi, H., Hupli, M., Leino-Kilpi, H., & Puukka, P., "Medication calculation skills of nurses in Finland", Journal of Clinical Nursing, 12, pp. 519-528, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00742.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00742.x
- McMullan, M., Jones, R., & Lea, S., "Patient safety: numerical skills and drug calculation abilities of nursing students and Registered Nurses", Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66, pp. 891-899, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05258.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05258.x
- Brown, D., "Can you do the math? Mathematic competencies of baccalaureate degree nursing students", Nurse Educator, 31(3), pp. 198-100, 2006.
- Wright, K., "An investigation to find strategies to improve student nurses' maths skills", British Journal of Nursing, 13(21), pp. 1280-1284, 2004. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2004.13.21.17114
- Kelly, L. & Colby, N.,"Teaching medication calculation for conceptual understanding", Journal of Nursing Education, 42, pp. 431-432, 2003.
- Kinney, S. & Henderson, D., "Comparison of low fidelity simulation learning strategy with traditional lecture", Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 4(2), pp. 15-18, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2008.06.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2008.06.005
- McMullan, M., Jones, R., & Lea, S., "The effect of an interactive e-drug calculations package on nursing students' drug calculation ability and self-efficacy", International Journal of Medical Informatics, 80, pp. 421-430, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2010.10.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2010.10.021
- Walsh, K. A., "The relationship among mathematics anxiety, beliefs about mathematics, mathematics self-efficacy, and mathematics performance in associate degree nursing students", Nursing Education Perspectives, 29, pp. 226-229, 2008.
- Kim, J. H., Kim, K. W., Kim, K. S., Kim, I. O., Kim. J. H., Park, K. H. et al., "Introduction to clinical pharmacology", Kyonggi: Jungmoongak, 2008.
- Andrew, S., Salamonson, Y., & Halcomb, E. J. "Nursing students' confidence in medication calculations predicts math exam performance," Nurse Education Today, 29, pp. 217-223, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.08.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2008.08.005
- Shockley, J. S., McGurn, W. C., Gunning, C., Graveley, E., & Tillotson, D., "Effects of calculator use on arithmetic and conceptual skills of nursing students", Journal of Nursing Education, 28, pp. 402-405, 1989.
- Calliari, D., "The relationship between a calculation test given in nursing orientation and medication errors", Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 26, pp. 11-14, 1995.
- Kim, M. J., & Hwang, J. H., "Study on the Edutainment Contents of Mobile-focused on domestic and foreign cases-", Journal of Korea Society of Design Forum, 15, pp. 79-87, 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3938/jkps.50.79 https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.50.79
- Lee, S. H., "Smartphone and engineering education : Smartphone and university education : 2.0", Korean Society for Engineering Education, 17(2), pp. 10-13. 2010.
- Pyo, M. Y., Kim, J. Y., Sohn, J. O., Lee, E. S., Kim, H. S., Kim, K. O. et al., "The effects of an advanced cardiac life support training via smartphone's simulation application on nurses' knowledge and learning satisfaction", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 18(2), pp. 228-238, 2012.
- Kirkpatric, D. L., & Kirkpatric, J. D., "Evaluating training program", Berrett-Koehler, 1998.
- Nguyen, T. D., Attkison, C. C., & Stegner, B. L. "Assessment of patient satisfaction: Development and refinement of a service evaluation questionnaire," Evaluation and Program Planning, 6, pp. 299-314, 1983. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0149-7189(83)90010-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/0149-7189(83)90010-1
- Sherer, M., Maddux, J. E., Mercandante, B., Prentice-Dunn, S., Jacobs, B., & Rogers, R. W., "The self-efficacy scale: construction and validation", Psychological Reports, 51, pp. 663-671, 1982. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.2063 https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.113
- Jung, T. H., "Analysis of the effects of commitment and motivational factors of class time learning", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Korea university, Seoul, 1987.
- Hanna, D., Shevlin, M., & Dempster, M., "The structure of the statistics anxiety rating scale: A confirmatory factor analysis using UK psychology students". Personality and Individual Di.fferences, 45, pp. 68-74, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.02.021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2008.02.021
- Kim, M. S., Kim, Y. H., Kim. J. S., Park, K. Y., & Park. J. H., "Application of clinical medicine", Kyonggi: Soomoonsa, 2012.
- Wright K., "Resources to help solve drug calculation problems". British Journal of Nursing. 18(14), pp. 878-880, 2009. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2009.18.14.43357
- Franko, O. I, & Tirrell, T. F., "Smartphone app use among medical providers in ACGME training programs". Journal of Medical Systems, 36, pp. 3135- 3139, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10916-011-9798-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-011-9798-7
- Black, R. L., "Pharmacology instruction: A game approach for student". Nurse Educator, 17(2), pp. 7-8, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006223-199203000-00006 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006223-199203000-00006
- Kim. S. J., & Kim. K. S., "Design and implementation learning English words smart-phone application for elementary school students on android platform by focus on form", Korea Association of Information education. 16(2), pp. 223-231, 2012.
- Lee, C. J., "A study on the smart phone user : focused on acceptance factors and usage pattern," Unpublished master's thesis Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul, 2011.
- Lee, S. S. "Effects of a smart phone based English study program on the student's satisfaction," Unpublished master's thesis Korea University, Seoul, 2011.
- Choi, H. J,. "Design and implementation of smart learning system to improve arithmetical operations for low achievers," Unpublished master's thesis Seoul National University of Education, Seoul, 2012.
- Bandura, A., "Self-efficacy : toward a unifying theory of behavioral change," Advances in Behavioral Research and Therapy," 1, pp. 139-161, 1978. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0146-6402(78)90002-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/0146-6402(78)90002-4
- Kim, B. M. "Analysis of mathematical learning based the ICT-environment", Research Institute of Curriculum Instruction, 16, pp. 657-687, 2012. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2012.16.3.657
- Bayne, T., & Bindler, R.,. "Medication calculation skills of registered nurses", The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 19, pp. 258-262, 1988.
- Factors Influencing Intention to Use Smart-based Continuing Nurse Education* vol.23, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.1.51