- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Frequency of daily tooth brushing among Korean adolescents, 2008-2010: The Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey
청소년건강행태온라인조사 자료를 활용한 청소년의 잇솔질 횟수 분석
- Jin, Hye-Jung (Dept. of Preventive Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University)
- 진혜정 (경북대학교 치의학전문대학원 예방치과학교실)
- Received : 2013.02.22
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
The purpose of this study was to examine the frequency of daily toothbrushing among Korean adolescents. The Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey data were analysed. subject included 75,238 in 2008, 75,066 in 2009 and 73,238 in 2010, which included a nationally representative sample of middle and high school students. The frequency of daily toothbrushing was analysed according to socioeconomic status (gender, age, residential areas, type of school, parents' education and occupation). All survey data collected was processed using SPSS ver 19.0 for data analyses such as frequency analysis, t-test and Chi-square. The mean frequency of daily toothbrushing for 2008 was 3.92, 2009 was 3.96 and 2010 was 3.99. The appearance of toothbrushing after having lunch at school was indicated to be 34.5% in 2008, 38.0% in 2009 and 40.8% in 2010. This study has shown that need to systematic oral health promotion programmes for adolescent in Korea.
Adolescents;Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey;Tooth brushing
- Noh HJ, Choi CH, Sohn WS, "The relationship between oral health behavior and frequency of oral health education in adolescent", J of Korean Acad of Oral Health, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 203-213, 2008.
- Kim MS, Kang HS, Cho KJ. "Factors influencing health-promotion behavior in adolescents". J Korean Acad Child Health Nusr, Vol. 10, pp. 495-503, 2004.
- Kim JB, Choi YJ, Moon HS, Kim JB, Kim DK, Publuc Oral Health, 4th ed, Komoonsa, pp. 259-275, 2009.
- Kang BW, Kwak JS, Kwon SJ, Kwon HS, Public Health for Oral Care, Komoonsa, pp. 29-31, 2005.
- Kim JB, Back DI, Mun HS, Kim HD, Jin BH, Choe YJ, Bak YD, Sin SC, Jo JW, Ma DS, Song GB, Kim JB, Lee HS, Hong SJ, Choe CH, Kim DG, Clinical Preventive Dentistry, Komoonsa, pp. 77-94, 2005.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, 2010 Korean National Oral Health Survey, MOHW, pp. 151-265, 2010.
- Darby ML, Walsh MM, Dental hygiene Theory and Practice, 2nd, Saunders, pp. 348-353, 2003.
- Mun SJ, Chung WG, Kim NH, "Changes in daily toothbrushing frequency among Korean adults from 2000 to 2006", J of Korean Acad of Oral Health, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 183-191, 2009.
- Cho MS, Lee EK, Kang YJ, "A study on toothbrushing habits depending in some of middle school students", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 881-891, 2011.
- Jung SH, Jung HY, "A Study on the effectiveness of Tooth-brushing Habits and the Rolling method of the Dental Hygiene Students of A college", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 53-62, 2006.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Preventive, Reports in Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey, 2011, CDC, pp. 34-35, 187-188, 2011.
- Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R, Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood, J Dent Res, Vol. 85, No. 4, pp. 339-343, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411 https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, The Third Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES III), 2005-Activity Limitation and Health-Related Quality of Life, MOHW, pp. 62-103, 2006.
- Shin SJ, Ahn YS, Sung, SH, The relation between dental health behaviors and socioeconomic status among Korean adolescents, J of Korean Acad of Oral Health, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 223-230, 2008.
- Kim HY, Evaluation of effects of health behaviors and dental service use on the association between socioeconomic Status and unmet dental treatment needs, J of Korean Acad of Oral Health, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 85-94, 2006.
- Reisine ST, Psoter W, Socioeconomic status and selected behavioral determinants as risk factors for dental caries, J Dent Educ, Vol. 65, No. 10, pp. 1009-1016, 2001.
- Locker D, Deprivation and oral health: a review, Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 161-169, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.280301.x https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2000.280301.x
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Development of Action Plans for Improving Adolescents' Health, MEST, pp. 27, 2007.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Preventive, Reportsin Korea Youth Risk Behavior Web-based Survey, MOHW, pp. 187-188, 2007.
- Barrieshi-Nusair K, Alomari Q, Said K, Dental health attitudes and behaviour among dental students in Jordan, Community Dent Health, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 147-151, 2006.
- Kim AH, Han SY, Kim HG, Kwon HK, Kim BI, The characteristics of high caries risk group for 12-year old children in Korea, J of Korean Acad of Oral Health, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 302-309, 2010.
- Lee EK, Cho MS, Lim HJ, A Study on Factors Affecting the Oral Health Promotion Behavior of middle school students based on subjective oral health, J of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 5811-5818, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5811 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5811
- Shim YS, Hong MH, Jeong MA. A oral health care and oral care habits in high school students, J of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 4338-4345, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4338 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4338
- Jeong MA. A Study on Oral Health Behaviors Depending on Oral Examination of Students at S Boys' High School, J of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 2478-2484, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.9.2478 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.9.2478
- Factors associated with gingival bleeding by tooth brushing in college students vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.921
- Effect of health behavior on periodontal disease of adolescents vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.04.617
- Effects of Adolescent and Oral Health-Related Characteristics on Dental Caries vol.12, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2018.12.2.101