- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Self-Esteem, Ego-Resilience, Social Support on Nursing student's Adjustment to College
간호대학생의 자존감, 자아탄력성, 사회적지지가 대학생활적응에 미치는 영향
- Kwag, Youn-Kyoung (Department of Nursing, Youngnam College of Science & Technology)
- 곽윤경 (영남이공대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2013.03.11
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate level of Self-Esteem, Ego-Resilience, Social Support and School Adjustment and to explore the factors that contribute to the school adjustment of nursing students. Subjects were 437 nursing students of three different college which are located in Taegu city. The survey was conducted from October 9th to November 27th. 2011. The result indicated that the higher Self-Esteem, the higher Ego-Resilience and the higher Social Support are the better School Adjustment to nursing student. And it was found that the effects of Self-Esteem, Ego-Resilience and Social Support on School Adjustment was 40.4% and Self-Esteem had the greatest influences on their school adjustment in nursing students. According to the results of this study, we need to consider student's self-esteem in nursing curriculum and prepare to develop programs for advancement of self-esteem to help nursing students' School Adjustment.
- S. M. .Kim, Y. J. Noh, J. I. Kim, & J. S. Park. "A plan for Expansion of Jobs and Improvement of Quality of Labor in Health care department", Economics & Social Development Commission Report. 2010.
- R. H. Hwang,, "A study on eating disorder, body image and self-esteem of female university students". Korean Journal Women Health Nursing, 15(4), pp. 328-335, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.328 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.328
- S. Y. Min, "Adjustment experience of students in nursing education", Journal Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, 15(4), pp.409-419, 2006.
- M. S. Song, H. J. An, & Y. H. Chung, "Self-esteem Interpersonal Relation and Communication in Nursing Students", Korean Academy on communication in Healthcare, 5(1), pp. 40-48, 2010.
- H. I. Lee, "Correlations among Self-Esteem, Depression and Academic Achievement in Nursing College Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Public Health Nursing, 22(1), pp. 97-107, 2008.
- M. J. Jung, & J. Y. Kim, "Mediating Effect of Emotion Regulation in the Relationship between Self-Esteem and Mental Health of Nursing Student", Korean Journal Stress Research, 19(3), pp. 253-260, 2011.
- W. J. Park, "The influence of Ego-Resilience on critical thinking dispositions, Learning styles, and academic adjustment in nursing Students", Journal Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, 18(3), pp. 240-250, 2009.
- J. W. Park, "(A) Study to development a scale of social support", Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul, 1985.
- O. H. Lee, "The Influence of Life Stress, Ego-Resilience and Social Support on Psychological Well-Being among College Students", Korean Journal of youth studies, 19(1), pp. 29-57, 2012.
- Halanmandaris, K. F., & Power, K. G. "Individual differences, social support and coping with the examination stress". Personality and Individual Differences, 26, pp. 665-685, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(98)00172-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(98)00172-X
- E. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, & K. J. Oh, "The effects of self-perception, perceived social support and coping behavior on adjustment of university students." Paper presented at the meeting of the Korean Psychological Association, 1992.
- M. Rosenberg, Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. 1965.
- H. J. Lee, & H. T. Won, "(An) Exploratory Study on the Relationships among Paranoia, Self-Concept and Self-Consciousness", Paper presented at the meeting of the Korean Psychological Association, Seoul, South Korea. 1995.
- C. J. Jew, K. E. Green, & J. Kroger, "Development and validation of a measure of resilience", Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 32, pp. 75-89, 1991.
- J. D. Kim, "Resilience of Adolescent Children with Problemed Drinking Parents", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 2003.
- R. W. Baker, & B. Siryk, "Measuring academic adjustment to college". Journal of Counseling Psychology, 31, pp. 179-189, 1984. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-022.214.171.124
- B. N. Park, J. S. Park, & J. R. Lee, "Factors affecting adaptation to school Life among nursing Junior college freshmen", The Korean Society of Health Information and Health Statistics, 34(2), pp. 153-164, 2012.
- K. H. Yang, J. R. Lee, & Park, B. N. "Factors Affecting Adaptation to School Life of Freshmen Enrolled in Nursing at a Junior College", Journal of Korean Academic Society Of Nursing Education, 18(1), pp. 5-13, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.005 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.005
- H. S. Park, Y. J. Bae, & S. Y. Jung, "A Study on Self-esteem, Self-efficacy, Coping Methods, and the Academic and Job-seeking Stress of Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 11(4), pp. 709-724, 2002.
- B. O. Choi, "Effect of the college students' resilience belief on adjustment to college life and the students' daily hassles", Unpublished Master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2006.
- H. J. Kim, "Attachment, Separationindividuation and Anxiety-the interaction effect of Social support-, Unpublished Master's thesis, Ewha Women University, Seoul, 2009.
- H. J. Cho & H. I. Chung, "Effects of Self-esteem, Emotional Intelligence and Social Support on College Adjustment in First Year Nursing College Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 21(3), pp. 188-196, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.3.188
- J. Y. Park, "Stress, Stress reponse and influencing factors on Resilience among Nursing students", Unpublished Master's thesis, Seonam University, Jeonlabukdo, 2011.
- H. R. Hwang, H. H. Suh, & J. Y. Kim, "The Relationship between Spiritual Well-being and Psychological Well-being among University Students", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 16(4), pp. 709-724, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2011.16.4.005
- O. K. Jung, "The Influence of Family-Environment upon Psycho-Social Maturity in College Students", Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, Incheon, 2006.
- J. L. Deborah, C. Gustavo, & Scott C. Roesch, "Pathways to Self-Esteem in Late Adolescence: The Role of Parent and Peer Attachment, Empathy, and Social Behaviors", Journal of Adolescence, 27(6), pp. 703-716, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2004.05.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2004.05.005
- B. N. Park, J. S. Park, & J. R. Lee, "Factors affecting adaptation to school Life among nursing Junior college freshmen", Journal of the Korean Society of Health Statistics, 34(2), pp.153-164, 2009.
- Ego Resilience, Communication Ability and Problem-Solving Ability in Nursing Students vol.19, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571
- Influence of Ego-resilience and Spiritual well-being on College adjustment in major of Nursing Student vol.12, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.395
- The structural relationship that self-elasticity of student in dental hygienic influences study satisfaction and life adaptation of college vol.12, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.335
- Influential factors for stress and self esteem of dental hygiene students vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.49
- Influence from the academic stress by the achievement pressure of their parents and adjustment effect of self-differentiation vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.11.6756
- Factors Affecting Nursing Students' Adjustment to College Life vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.7.4459
- Influence of Stress and Resilience on Student Adjustment to College Life in Senior Nursing Students vol.30, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.06.30.3.1075