- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Longitudinal Case Study on the Dynamically Evolving Value Network of SK Telecom
SK텔레콤 가치네트워크의 역동적 진화에 관한 장기사례분석
- Chang, Yong Ho (School of Communication, Sogang University) ;
- Park, Bellnine (Institute for Media and Culture, Sogang University)
- Received : 2013.02.19
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
This study attempts to identify how the value network of mobile industry has evolved in the value creating process. The longitudinal case study on SK Telecom was conducted by measuring the SK Telecom's investment structure during from 1999 to 2008. Results show that the convergence services based on the advanced mobile networks changed the revenue structure, and enabled SK Telecom to reposition as a media company. For the value creation, SK Telecom's value network has flexibly adapted to convergence environment through dynamic asset reconfiguration.
Digital Convergence;Mobile Telecommunications Industry;Complementary Asset;Value Network
Supported by : 서강대학교
- F. Hacklin, C. Marxt, F. Fahrni, "Coevolutionary cycles of convergence: An extrapolation from the ICT industry", Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Vol.76, No.6, pp.723-736, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2009.03.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2009.03.003
- M. E. Porter, Competitive advantage: Creating and sustaining superior performance. New York, NY: Free Press, 1985.
- V. Allee, "Reconfiguring the value network", Journal of Business Strategy, Vol.21, No.4, pp.1-6, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/eb040103 https://doi.org/10.1108/eb040103
- P. Kothandaraman, D. T. Wilson, "The future of competition: Value-creating networks", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.30, No.4, pp.379-389, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(00)00152-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-8501(00)00152-8
- J. Peppard, A. Rylander, "From value chain to value network: Insights for mobile operators", European Management Journal, Vol.24, No.2-3, pp.128-141, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2006.03.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emj.2006.03.003
- O. D. Fjeldstad, C. Ketels, "Competitive advantage and the value network configuration: Making decisions at a swedish life insurance company", Long Range Planning, Vol.39, No.2, pp.109-131, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2006.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2006.05.001
- F. Li, J. Whalley, "Deconstruction of the telecommunications industry: From value chains to value networks", Telecommunications Policy, Vol.26, No.9-10, pp.451-472, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0308-5961(02)00056-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-5961(02)00056-3
- J. L. Funk, "The emerging value network in the mobile phone industry: The case of Japan and its implications for the rest of the world", Telecommunications Policy, Vol.33, No.1-2, pp.4-18, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2008.09.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2008.09.002
- P. Curwen, J. Whalley, "Mapping worldwide mobile networks: Some problems and indicative solutions", Telecommunications Policy, In press, 2012. Available From: www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308596112000808
- M, Al-Debei, E, Al-Lozi, G. Fiztgerald, "Engineering innovative mobile data services: Developing a model for value network analysis and design", Business Process Management Journal, Vol.19, No.2, 2013.
- SK Telecom, IR Report 2000-2008. Available From: www.sktelecom.com (accessed Sept., 15, 2012)
- SK Telecom, Business Report 1999-2008. Available From: http://dart.fss.or.kr (accessed Sept., 15, 2012)
- S. G. Chang, "Ecosystem dynamics and strategies for the convergence of broadcasting and telecommunications", Telecommunications Review, Vol.19, No.1, pp.79-91, 2009.
- D. Tilson, K. Lyytinen, "The 3 transition: Changes in the US wireless industry", Telecommunications Policy, Vol.30, No.10-11, pp.569-586, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2006.09.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2006.09.002
- J. Jung, "Fundamental issues and methodological approaches in media economics and media management studies", The Journal of Media Economics and Culture, Vol.6, No.3, pp.133-168, 2008.
- M. Porter, "The five competitive forces that shape strategy", Harvard Business Review, Vol.86, No.1, pp.78-93, 2008.
- M. Sastry, "Problems and paradoxes in a model of punctuated organizational change", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.42, No.2, pp.237-275, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2393920 https://doi.org/10.2307/2393920
- Analysis on value research trend and building the resource and competence based research framework for value creation vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.4.1923