- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Performance Development of Coolant Core for Range Extender Engine Using CFD Simulation
전산유체해석을 통한 RE엔진 냉각수 코어의 성능 개발
- Kim, Chang-Su (Mechanical Engineering Dept., Graduate School, Kongju National University) ;
- Park, Sung-Young (Institute of Green-Car Technology, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2013.02.22
- Accepted : 2013.05.09
- Published : 2013.05.31
A Coolant core for Range Extender engine has been developed using CFD technique. Coolant by-pass has been added to the improved model to reduce temperature near and between exhaust valve. Due to the increased coolant flow-rate both around the second cylinder block and between exhaust valves, improved model shows no significant stagnant flow compared with base model. Finally, the improved model shows improved heat transfer coefficients near exhaust valves, and 5% reduced pressure-drop through the coolant core. Reduced pressure-drop may increase the fuel efficiency by reducing the load of a coolant pump.
Range Extender;Coolant core;Exhaust port;Heat transfer;Pressure-drop
- C. H. Shin, S. H. Lee, W. G. Park, G. L. Jang, "The Study about the Performance-Analysis of a Automotive Engine Cooling System", Transactions of KSAE, Vol .14, No. 2, pp.39-48, 2006.
- S. W. Wei, Y. D. Min, J. T. Lee, "Coolant Flow Characteristics and Cooling Effects in the Cylinder Head with Coolant Flow System and Local Water Passage," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 32-41, 2003.
- D. K. Lee, K. S. Lee, J. H. Lee, "Numerical Analysis of 3-D Flow Field in the Engine Block Coolant Passage", Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 134-152, 2003.
- K. W. Baek, S. H. Lee, N. H. Cho, "Numerical Optimization of the Coolant Flow Rates through Cylinder Head Gasket Holes by applying CFD Techniques," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 121-128, 2000.
- C. S. Oh, J. H. Lee, T. Y. Ryu, S. Y. Shin, W. T. Kim, "An Experimental Study on Improved Fuel Economy and Lower Exhaust Emissions of New Automotive Engine Adopting Split Cooling System," KSAE 2002 Spring Conference Proceedings, pp. 118-123, 2002.
- S. S. Kim, "Characteristics of HC Emissions by Starting Conditions in an SI Engine," Transactions of KSAE, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 1-9, 2004
- K. U. Baek, B. H. Lee, S. H. Lee, N. H. Cho, "CFD Simulation of Coolant Flow in a Large Diesel Engine", Transactions of KSAE, pp.270-274, 1999.
- S. I. Lee, S. Y. Park, "Computational Approach to Improve Coolant Flow Characteristics for the SI Engine", KAIS, Vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 3553-3558, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.12.3553 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.12.3553
- Shoji Adachi, Kimihide Horio, Yoshikatsu Nakamura, Kazuo Nakano and Akihito Tanke, "Development of Toyota 1ZZ-FE Engine", SAE-981087, 1998. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/981087 https://doi.org/10.4271/981087
- CD-adapco, "Star-CCM+ V5 User's Manual", 2010.