- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Molecular Authentication and Phylogenetic Analysis of Plant Species for Breeae and Cirsii Herba based on DNA barcodes
DNA 바코드 분석을 통한 소계(小薊) 및 대계(大薊) 기원식물 감별과 종간 유연관계 분석
- Moon, Byeong Cheol (Herbal Medicine Resources Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Lee, Young Mi (Herbal Medicine Resources Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Ji, Yunui (Herbal Medicine Resources Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Choi, Goya (Herbal Medicine Resources Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Chun, Jin Mi (Herbal Medicine Resources Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine) ;
- Kim, Ho Kyoung (Herbal Medicine Resources Group, Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine)
- 문병철 (한국한의학연구원 한약자원그룹) ;
- 이영미 (한국한의학연구원 한약자원그룹) ;
- 지윤의 (한국한의학연구원 한약자원그룹) ;
- 최고야 (한국한의학연구원 한약자원그룹) ;
- 천진미 (한국한의학연구원 한약자원그룹) ;
- 김호경 (한국한의학연구원 한약자원그룹)
- Published : 2013.05.30
Objectives : The origin of Breeae Herba (So-gye) and Cirsii Herba (Dae-gye) is differently prescribed in Korean and Chinese modern pharmacopoeia. Since the similar morphological characteristics and chaotic plant names, moreover, the aerial part of Carduus crispus have been used as the Cirsii Herba. To develop a reliable method for correct identification of these herbal medicines and to evaluate the genetic relationship of these closely related plant species, we analyzed sequences of DNA barcode regions. Methods : Thirty-one samples of 6 medicinal plants (B. segeta, B. setosa, C. japonicum var. maackii, C. setidens, C. chanroenicum, and C. crispus) were collected from different habitate and nucleotide sequences of DNA barcode regions (rDNA-ITS, matK, and rbcL) were analyzed after amplification using appropriate primers reported in previous studies. The nucleotides of species-specific authentic marker and phylogenetic relations were estimated based on the entire sequences of DNA barcodes by the analysis of ClastalW and UPGMA, respectively. Results : In comparative analysis of DNA barcode sequences, we obtained specific nucleotides to discriminate the medicinal plant of Breeae/Cirsii Herba in species level and evaluated the phylogenetic relationship of these species. Futhermore, we identified distinct marker nucleotides enough to authenticate respective species. These sequence differences at corresponding positions were avaliable genetic markers to determine the botanical origins of Breeae Herbal as well as Cirsii Herba. Conclusions : These marker nucleotides would be useful to identify the official herbal medicines by providing of definitive information that can identify each plant species and distinguish from unauthentic adulterants and substitutes.
Supported by : 한국한의학연구원
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Missouri Botanical Garden. The Plant List Retrieved Feb. 26, 2013, from http://www.theplantlist.org
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. Notification of revised Korean Herbal Pharmacopoeia. Issued on December 28, 2012 : 85, 220.
- Park HK, Yoon SY, Choi JH, Ko HS, Suh YW, Lee YS, Kim CH, Chung MS, Cheong JH. The antidepressant effects of Cirsium japonicum in ICR mice. Yakhak Hoeji. 2006 ; 50(6) : 429-35.
- Herbology Editorial Committee of Korean Medicine Schools. Herbology[Boncho-hak]. Seoul : Younglim Press. 2004 : 435-7.
- China Pharmacopoeia Committee. Pharmacopoeia of the People's Republic of China. Beijing : China Medical Science Press. 2010 : 23-4, 45-6.
- Song MJ, Kim H. Taxonomic identities of Cirsium setidens, C. chanroenicum and C. toraiense. Korean J Pl Taxon. 2005 ; 35(4) : 227-45.
- Song MJ, Kim H. Taxonomic Study on Cirsium Miller (Asteracrae) in Korea-based on external morphology. Korean J Pl Taxon. 2007 ; 37(1) : 17-40.
- Smith WA, Lauren DR, Burgess EJ, Perry NB, Martin RJ. A silychristin isomer and variation of flavonolignan levels in milk thistle (Silybum marianum) fruits. Planta Med. 2005 ; 71(9) : 877-80. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2005-864187
- Thao NTP, Cuong TD, Hung TM, Lee JH, Na MK, Son JK, Jung HJ, Fang Z, Woo MH, Choi JS, Min BS. Simultaneous determination of bioactive flavonoids in some selected Korean thistles by high-performance liquid chromatography. Arch. Pharm. Res. 2011 ; 34(3) : 455-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-011-0314-x
- Kim EM. Comparison of physiochemical composition and antioxidative activity of Korean and Chinese Cirsuim japonicum. Korean J Culinary Research. 2009 ; 15(3) : 284-93.
- Barcode of Life. Identifying Species with DNA barcoding Retrieved Feb. 26, 2013, from http://www.barcodeoflife.org
- Barcode of Life. The Barcode of Life Database Retriveved Feb. 26. 2013, from http://www.boldsystems.org
- Hollingsworth PM, Graham SW, Little DP. Choosing and using a plant DNA barcode. PLoS ONE. 2011 ; 6(5) : e19254. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0019254
- Zhang W, Fan X, Zhu S, Zhao H, Fu L. Species-specific identification from incomplete sampling: Applying DNA barcodes to monitoring invasive Solanum Plants. PLoS ONE. 2013 ; 8(2) : e55297. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0055297
- Shen YY, Chen X, Murphy RW. Assessing DNA barcoding as a tool for species identification and data quality control. PLoS ONE. 2013 ; 8(2) : e57125. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057125
- Foster PG, Bergo ES, Bourke BP, Oliveira TMP, Nagaki SS, Snatana DC, Sallum MAM. Phylogenetic analysis and DNA-based species confirmation in Anopheles (Nyssorhynchus). PLoS ONE. 2013 ; 8(2) : e54063. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0054063
- Veves SS, Watson MK. Phylogenetic relationship in Bupleurum (Apiaceae) based on nuclear ribosomal DNA ITS sequence data. Ann Bot. 2004 ; 93(4) : 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/aob/mch033
- Moon BC, Choo BK, Ji Y, Yoon T, Lee AY, Cheon MS, Kim BB, Kim HK. Molecular authentication and phylogenetic relationship of Bupleurum species by the rDNA-ITS sequences. Kor J Herbology. 2009 ; 24(3) : 59-68.
- Yang DY, Fushimi H, Cai SQ, Komatsu K. Molecular analysis of Rheum species used as Rhei Rhizoma based on the chloroplast matK gene sequence and its application for identification. Biol Pharm Bull. 2004 ; 27(3) : 375-83. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.27.375
- Zhao ZL, Leng CH, Wang ZT. Identification of Dryopteris crassirhizoma and the adulterant species based on cpDNA rbcL and translated amino acid sequences. Planta Med. 2007 ; 73(11) : 1230-3. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-981588
- Jigden B, Wang H, Kim YJ, Samdan N, In JG, Yang DC. Molecular identification of oriental medicinal plant Schizonepeta tenuifolia bunge (Hyung-Gae) by multiplex PCR. Plant Biotechnol Rep. 2010 ; 4(3) : 223-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11816-010-0142-3
- Sucher NJ, Carles MC. Genome-based approaches to the authentication of medicinal plants. Planta Med. 2008 ; 74(6) : 603-23. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1074517
- Kim YD, Park CW, Sun BY, Kim KJ, Lee EJ, Kim SH. ITS sequence variations in common ragweed and giant ragweed. Korean J Pl Taxon. 2005 ; 35(4) : 273-85.
- Song MJ, Kim H. Numerical taxonomy of Cirsium japonicum complex (Asteraceae) in Korea. Korean J Pl Taxon. 2006 ; 36(4) : 279-92.
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Tayler J. Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. PCR protocol: A guide to method and applications. New York. Academic press. 1990 ; 315-22.
- Ooi K, Endo Y, Yokoyama J, Murakami N. Useful primer designs to amplify DNA fragment of the plastid gene matK from angiosperm plants. J Jap Bot. 1995 ; 70(6) : 328-33.
- Olmstead RG, Michaels HJ, Scott KM, Palmer JD. Monophyly of the Asteridae and identification of their major lineages inferred from DNA sequences of rbcL. Ann Mo Bot Gard. 1992 ; 79(2) : 249-65. https://doi.org/10.2307/2399768
- Yan P, Pang QH, Jiao XW, Zhao X, Shen YJ, Zhao SJ. Genetic variation and identification of cultivated Fallopia multiflora and its wild relatives by using chloroplast matK and 18S rRNA gene sequences. Planta Med. 2008 ; 74(12) : 1504-9. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2008-1081330
- Moon BC, Ji Y, Seo HS, Lee AY, Chun JM, Kim HK. Molecular authentication of Schisandrae Fructus and analysis of phylogenetic relationship based on nrDNA-ITS sequences. Kor J Herbology. 2010 ; 25(4) : 47-54.
- De Feo V, Bruno M, Tahiri B, Napolitano F, Senatore F. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of essential oils from Thymus spinulosus Ten. (Lamiaceae). J Agric Food Chem. 2003 ; 51(13) : 3849-53. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf021232f
- Song IG, An BR, Seo BI, Park SJ. Molecular marker to identify and Origin of Cnidii Rhizoma from Korea and China. Kor J Herbology. 2009 ; 24(4) : 1-8.
- Guo X, Wang X, Su W, Zhang G, Zhou R. DNA barcodes for discriminating the medicinal plant Scutellaria baicalensis (Lamiaceae) and its adulterants. Biol Pharm Bull. 2011 ; 34(8) : 1198-203. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.34.1198