- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Positive impact of integrated amrita meditation technique on heart rate, respiratory rate and IgA on young healthy adults
- Vandana, Balakrishnan (Department of Physiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Saraswathy, Lakshmiammal (Department of Physiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Suseeladevi, Gowrikutty K. (Department of Physiology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sundaram, Karimassery Ramaiyer (Department of Biostatistics, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kumar, Harish (Department of Endocrinology, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences)
- Received : 2012.10.16
- Accepted : 2013.05.14
- Published : 2013.05.31
The objective of the current study was to find out the effect of Integrated Amrita Meditation Technique (IAM) on blood pressure (BP), heart rate (HR), respiratory rate (RR) and IgA. One hundred and fifty subjects were randomized into three groups IAM, Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) and Control. Baseline values were collected before giving the training for all the subjects and the IAM and PMR groups were given training in the respective techniques. BP, HR, RR and IgA were recorded manually at 0 h, 48 h, 2 months and 8 months after the first visit. HR was found to be reduced in the IAM group 48 h onwards and the fall sustained till 8 months (p < 0.05). IAM group showed significant drop when compared to the PMR group and control group in all the subsequent visits (p < 0.05). RR decreased significantly in the IAM group in the third and fourth visits (p < 0.05). RR of IAM showed significant decrease when compared to PMR and control from the third visit onwards. IgA showed significant increase in comparison with PMR and control in the third and fourth visits. BP did not show any difference in any of the visits. There was subject dropout from randomization to completion of the study, in all the three groups. The significant decrease in HR and RR and increase in IgA in the IAM group when compared to the PMR and control group shows the efficacy of the technique in reducing the physiological stress indicators for up to 8 months.
- Alexander CN, Rainforth MV, Gelderloos P. Transcendental Meditation, self-actualization, and psychological health: A conceptual overview and statistical meta-analysis. J Soc Behav Pers. 1991;6:189-247.
- Alexander CN, Robinson P, Orme-Johnson. The effects of Transcendental Meditation compared to other methods of relaxation in reducing risk factors, morbidity, and mortality. Homeostasis. 1994;35:243-263.
- Arias AJ, Steinberg K, Banga A, Trestman RL. Systematic review of the efficacy of meditation Techniques as treatments for medical illness. J Altern Complement Med. 2006;12:817-832. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2006.12.817
- Brown HF, Difrancesco D, Noble SJ. How does adrenaline accelerate the heart? Nature. 1979;280:235-236. https://doi.org/10.1038/280235a0
- Cannon WB. Stresses and strains of homeostasis. Am J Med Sci. 1935;189:13-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000441-193501000-00001
- Cohen S, Rabin BS. Psychologic Stress, Immunity, and Cancer. J Nat Can Ins.1998;90:3-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/90.1.3
- Orme-Johnson DW. Autonomic stability and Transcendental Meditation. Psychosom Med. 1973;35:341-349. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197307000-00008
- Dougherty L, Lister S. The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures: Nurse Education in Practice. Student Edition, Chichester :Wiley- Blackwell. 2008;9:e4.
- Eisenhofer G, Lambie DG, Johnson RH. Beta Adreno receptor responsiveness and plasmacatecholamines as determinants of cardiovascular reactivity to mental stress. Clin Sci. 1985;69:483-492. https://doi.org/10.1042/cs0690483
- Ganong WF. Review of Medical Physiology. Lange Basic Science. 22nd ed. (New York, USA: McGraw-Hill Medical), p. 371, 2007.
- Harte J. Psychoneuroendocrine concomitants of the emotional experience associated with running and meditation. Edited by Alan J Husband. Behavior and immunity. Florida: CRC Press: 1992:43-57.
- Henningsen GM, Hurrell JJ, Baker F, Douglas C, MacKenzie BA, Robertson SK, Phipps FC. Measurement of salivary immunoglobulin A as an immunologic biomarker of job stress. Scand J Work Environ Health. 1992;18:133-136. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.1599
- Jacobson E. The Technic of Progressive Relaxation. J Nerv Ment Dis. 1924;60:568-578. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005053-192412000-00002
- Jin P. Changes in Heart rate, Noradrenaline, Cortisol and mood during Tai Chi. J Psychosom Res. 1989;33:197-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(89)90047-0
- John FB, BS, Herbert Benson. A simple psychologic technique which elicits the hypometabolic changes of the relaxation pesponse. Psychosom Med. 1974;36:115-120. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197403000-00003
- Labrador MP, Polk D, Dwyer JH, Velasquez I, Nidich S, Rainforth M, Schneider R, Merz CN. Effects of a randomized controlled trial of Transcendental Meditation on components of the metabolic syndrome in subjects with coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1218-1224. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.166.11.1218
- Lazarus RS, Folkman S. Stress, appraisal, and coping. (NewYork, USA: Spingerlink publishing company), p. 2, 1984.
- Lee MS, Kim BG, Jeong H, Lee HS, Chung HT. Effect of Qi-Training on blood pressure, heart rate and respiratory rate. Clin Physiol. 2008;20:173-176.
- Newberg AB. The neural basis of the complex mental task of meditation: neurotransmitter and neurochemical considerations. Med Hypotheses. 2003;61:282-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-9877(03)00175-0
- Ospina MB, Bond K, Karkhaneh M, Tjosvold L, Vandermeer B, Liang Y, Bialy L, Hooton N, Buscemi N, Dryden DM, et al. Meditation practices for health: state of the research. Evid Rep Technol Assess. 2007,155:1-263.
- Rainforth MV, Schneider RH, Nidich SI, Gaylord-King C, Salerno JW, Anderson JW. Stress reduction programs in patients with elevated blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2007;9:520-528. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11906-007-0094-3
- Schell FJ, Allolio B, Schoncke OW. Physiological and psychological effects of Hatha Yoga exercise in healthy women. Int J Psychosom.1994;41:46-52.
- Schneider RH, Nidich SI, Salerno JW, Sharma MH, Robinson CE, Nidich RJ, Alexander CN. Lower lipid Peroxide levels in practitioners of the Transendental meditation programme. Psychosom Med. 1998;60:38-41. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-199801000-00008
- Schneider RH, Staggers F, Alxander CN, Sheppard W, Rainforth M, Kondwani K, Smith S, King CG. A randomized controlled trial of stress reduction for hypertension in older African Americans. Hypertension. 1995;26:820-827. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.HYP.26.5.820
- Selye H. A syndrome produced by diverse nocuous agents. Nature. 1936;138:32.
- Selye H. Forty years of stress research: principal remaining problems and misconceptions. Can Med Assoc J. 1976;115:53-56.
- Solberg EE, Halvorsen R, Holen A. Effect of meditation on immune cells. Stress Med. 2000;16:185-190. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1700(200004)16:3<185::AID-SMI852>3.0.CO;2-C
- Sudsuang R, Chentanez V, Veluvan K. Effect of Buddhist meditation on serum cortisol and total protein levels, Blood Pressure, Pulse rate, Lung volume and Reaction time. Physiol Behav. 1991;50:543-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(91)90543-W
- TangY, Ma Y, Wang J, Fan Y, Feng S, Lu Q, Yu Q, Sui D, Rothbart MK, Fan M, et al. Short-term meditation training improves attention and self-regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 200;104:17152-17156. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0707678104
- Taniguchi T, Hirokawa K, Tsuchiya M, Kawakami N. The immediate effects of 10-minute relaxation training on salivary immunoglobulin A (s-IgA) and mood state for Japanese female medical co-workers. Acta Med Okayama. 2007;61:139-45.
- Taylor A L. Corticotropin releasing hormone. New Eng J Med. 1988;319:213-222. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198807283190405
- Vyas R, Dikshit N. Effect of meditation on respiratory system, cardiovascular system and lipid profile. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2002;46:487-491.
- Wallace KR. Physiological effects of Transcendental Meditation. Science. 1970;167:1751-1754. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.167.3926.1751
- Whelan RF, Young IM. The effect of Adrenaline and Noradrenaline infusions on respiration in man. Br J Pharmacol Chemother. 1953;8:98-102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1953.tb00759.x
- An alternative method to reduce anaphylaxis by moxibustion vol.4, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5667/tang.2014.0011