- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Stochastic Probability Model for Preventive Management of Armor Units of Rubble-Mound Breakwaters
경사제 피복재의 유지관리를 위한 추계학적 확률모형
- Received : 2012.10.17
- Accepted : 2013.04.05
- Published : 2013.05.30
A stochastic probability model based on the non-homogeneous Poisson process is represented that can correctly analyze the time-dependent linear and nonlinear behaviors of total damage over the occurrence process of loads. Introducing several types of damage intensity functions, the probability of failure and the total damage with respect to mean time to failure has been investigated in detail. Taking particularly the limit state to be the random variables followed with a distribution function, the uncertainty of that would be taken into consideration in this paper. In addition, the stochastic probability model has been straightforwardly applied to the rubble-mound breakwaters with the definition of damage level about the erosion of armor units. The probability of failure and the nonlinear total damage with respect to mean time to failure has been analyzed with the damage intensity functions for armor units estimated by fitting the expected total damage to the experimental datum. Based on the present results from the stochastic probability model, the preventive management for the armor units of the rubble-mound breakwaters would be suggested to make a decision on the repairing time and the minimum amounts repaired quantitatively.
Stochastic probability model;Total damage;Armor units of rubble-mound breakwaters;Probability of failure;Preventive management
- Ang, A. H-S., and Tang, W. H. (1975). Probability concepts in engineering planning and design, Vol. 1, John Wiley & Sons, N.Y.
- Lee, C-E. (2012). "Stochastic reliability analysis of armor units of rubble-mound breakwaters subject to multiple loads." Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 138- 148 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2012.24.2.138
- Li, C. Q., and Zhao, J. M. (2010). "Time-dependent risk assessment of combined overtopping and structural failure for reinforced concrete coastal structures." J. Waterway, Port, Coast., and Ocn. Eng., ASCE, Vol. 136, No. 2, pp. 97-103. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)WW.1943-5460.0000031
- Madsen, H. O., Krenk, S. and Lind, N. C. (1986). Methods of structural safety, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs.
- Melby, J. A. (1999). Damage progression on breakwaters, Ph.D. thesis, Dept. of Civ. Engrg., Univ. of Delware, USA.
- Melchers, R. E. (1999). Structural reliability analysis and prediction, Wiley, Chichester.
- Mori, Y., and Ellingwood, B. R.(1994) "Maintaining reliability of concrete structures. I. Role of inspection/repair." J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 824-845. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:3(824)
- Nakagawa, T. (1976). "On a replacement problem of cumulative model." Op. Res. Quart., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 895-900. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1976.178
- Rosenblueth, E. (1976). "Optimum design for infrequent disturbances." J. Struct. Div., ASCE, Vol. 102, No. ST9, pp. 1807-1825.
- Rosenblueth, E., and Mendoza, E. (1971). "Reliability optimization in isostatic structures." J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, Vol. 97, No. EM6, pp. 1625-1642.
- Sanchez-Silva, M., Klutke, G.-A., and Rosowsky, D. V. (2011). "Lifecycle performance of structures subject to multiple deterioration mechanisms." Struct. Saf., 33, pp. 206-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2011.03.003
- Speijker, L. J. P., van Noortwijk, J. M., Kok, M., and Cooke, R. M. (2000). "Optimal maintenance decisions for dikes." Prob. Eng. and Inf. Sc., Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 101-121.
- Taylor, H. M., and Karlin, S. (1984). An introduction to stochastic modeling, Academic Press, N.Y.
- van der Meer, J. W. (1988). "Deterministic and probabilistic design of breakwater armor layers." J. Waterway, Port, Coast., and Ocn. Eng., ASCE, Vol. 114, No. 1, pp. 66-80. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1988)114:1(66)
- van der Weide, J. A. M., and Pandey, M. D. (2011). "Stochastic analysis of shock process and modelling of condition-based maintenance." Rel. Eng. and Sys. Saf., 96, pp. 619-626. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ress.2010.12.012
- van der Weide, J. A. M., Suyono, and van Noortwijk, J. M. (2008). "Renewal theory with exponential and hyperbolic discounting." Prob. Eng. and Inf. Sc., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 53-74.
- van Noortwijk, J. M., and Gelder, P. H. (1996). "Optimal maintenance decisions for berm breakwaters." Struct. Saf., Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 293-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(96)00023-9
- van Noortwijk, J. M., and Klatter, H. E. (1999). "Optimal inspection decisions for the block mats of the Eastern-Scheldt barrier." Rel. Eng. and Sys. Saf., 65, pp. 203-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8320(98)00097-0
- Discounted Cost Model of Condition-Based Maintenance Regarding Cumulative Damage of Armor Units of Rubble-Mound Breakwaters as a Discrete-Time Stochastic Process vol.29, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2017.29.2.109
- Development of Stochastic Expected Cost Model for Preventive Optimal- Maintenance of Armor Units of Rubble-Mound Breakwaters vol.25, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.5.276