- Volume 38 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of Neutron Skyshine Evaluation Method for High Energy Electron Accelerator Using Monte Carlo Code
몬테카를로 코드를 이용한 고에너지 전자가속기의 중성자 skyshine 평가방법 개발
- Oh, Joo-Hee (Pohang Accelerator Laboratory) ;
- Jung, Nam-Suk (Pohang Accelerator Laboratory) ;
- Lee, Hee-Seock (Pohang Accelerator Laboratory) ;
- Ko, Seung-Kook (Department of Physics, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2013.02.25
- Accepted : 2013.03.18
- Published : 2013.03.30
The skyshine effect is an essential and important phenomenon in the shielding design of the high energy accelerator. In this study, a new estimation method of neutron skyshine was proposed and was verified by comparison with existing methods. The effective dose of secondary neutrons and photons at the locations that was far away from high-energy electron accelerator was calculated using FLUKA and PHITS Monte Carlo code. The transport paths of secondary radiations to reach a long distance were classified as skyshine, direct, groundshine and multiple-shine. The contribution of each classified component to the total effective dose was evaluated. The neutrons produced from the thick copper target irradiated by 10 GeV electron beam was applied as a source term of this transport. In order to evaluate a groundshine effect, the composition of soil on the PAL-XFEL site was considered. At a relatively short distance less than 50 m from the accelerator tunnel, the direct and groundshine components mostly contributed to the total effective dose. The skyshine component was important at a long distance. The evaluated dose of neutron skyshine agreed better with the results using Rindi's formula, which was based on the experimental results at high energy electron accelerator. That also agreed with the estimated dose using the simple evaluation code, SHINE3, within about 20%. The total effective dose, including all components, was 10 times larger than the estimated doses using other methods for this comparison. The influence of multiple-shine path in this evaluation of the estimation method was investigated to be bigger than one of pure skyshine path.
- Jenkins TM, Accelerator boundary doses and skyshine. Health phys. 1974;27(3):241.
- Stapleton GB, O'brien K, Thomas RH, Accelerator skyshine: tyger, tyger, burning bright. Particle Accelerators. 1994;44(1): 1-15.
- Rindi A, Thomas RH, Skyshine-a paper tiger. part Accel. 1975;7:23-39.
- Stevenson GR, Thomas RH, A simple procedure for the estimation of neutron skyshine from proton accelerators. Health Phys. 1984;42:115-122.
- Masukawa F, Abe T, Hayashi K, Handa H, Nakashima H, Development of SHINE3, simple code for high-energy neutron skyshine dose evaluation. JAEA. Data. Code. 2006:103P.
- Iwase H, Nitta K, Nakamura T, Development of general-purpose particle and heavy ion transport monte carlo code. J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 2002;39:1442.
- Harima Y, Hirayama H, Sakamoto Y, Shimizu A, A simplified method of gamma-ray skyshine calculations. Prc. of ICRS8. 1994:939.
- Ferrari A, Sala PR, Fasso A, Ranft J, FLUKA: a multi-particle transport code. CERN- 2005-10. CERN. 2005.
- Soil Survey of Site Report for 4th Generation Light Source Construction Design. PAL- XFEL. Pohang Accelerator Laboratory. 2011.
- Moe HJ, Advanced photon source: radiological design considerations. APS-LS-141. Argonne national laboratory. 1991.
- Nakagawa T, Shibata K, Chiba S, Fukahori T, Nakajima Y, Kikuchi Y, Kawano T, Kanda Y, Ohsawa T, Matsunobu H, Kawai M, Zukeran A, Watanabe T, Igarasi S, Kosako K, Asami T, Japanese evaluated nuclear data library, version 3 revision-2; JENDL-3.2. J. Nucl. Sci. Technol. 1995;32:1259. https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.1995.9731849
- Niita K, Chiba S, Maruyama T, Maruyama T, Takada H, Fukahori T, Nakahara Y, Iwamoto A, Analysis of the (N,xN') reactions by quantum molecular dynamics plus statistical decay model. Phys Rev. C. 1995;52:2620. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevC.52.2620
- Sakamoto Y, Dose conversion coefficients in the shielding design calculation for high energy proton accelerator facilities. JAERI- Tech. 2001;42.
- Pelliccioni M, Overview of fluence-to -effective dose and fluence-to-ambient dose equivalent conversion coefficients for high energy radiation calculated using the Fluka code. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2000;88:279-297. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.rpd.a033046
- Bathow G, Clausen V, Freytag E, Tesch K, Skyshine-Messungen und ihr Vergleich mit Abshatzungen, aus der diffsionstherorie. Nucleoni. 1967;9:14.
- Radiation shielding design of the PAL-XFEL vol.66, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.66.425