- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Efficient Establishment of Protected Areas in Pyoungchang County, Kangwon Province to Support Spatial Decision Making
강원도 평창지역의 보호지역 확대를 위한 공간의사결정 지원방안
- Mo, Yongwon (Graduate School, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Dong-Kun (Department of Landscape Architecture and Rural System Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Hogul (Graduate School, Seoul National University) ;
- Baek, Gyounghye (Graduate School, Seoul National University) ;
- Nam, Sangjun (HYUNWOOGREEN CO., Ltd.)
- Received : 2012.11.22
- Accepted : 2013.02.21
- Published : 2013.02.28
As the second-largest 1st degree of ecological zone in Kangwon Province, Pyeongchang County is expected to play an important role in expanding the protected areas of the Republic of Korea. However, Pyoungchang County is expected to experience an increase in demand for development due to the 2018 Winter Olympics. Problems related to various stakeholders and limited budget will arise regarding the issue of expanding the protected areas. In this study, in order to effectively control these problems, we designed expansion plans for the 1st degree ecological zoning map areas and the observed data of threatened species I and II in Pyoungchang County by using the MARXAN Software. As for the methods, we first set the planning units(PUs) for the spatial analysis. The PUs include boundary length, land cost, land status, etc. Then, we made the input data by controlling the conservation features, BLM(Boundary Length Modifier) and iteration numbers. There are two measures for the establishment of the protected areas, one of which only concerns with the ecological priority, and the other with combining the land cost on forest. The one illustrated shows that the larger patches that include the conservation feature was selected as a candidate of the protected areas. The other one presented shows that inexpensive land cost areas were selected. As this study produces visual results and enables an efficient application of various values in selecting protected areas, we believe that it will be useful to various stakeholders in spatial decision-making process.
Supported by : 환경부
- Ministry of Envrionment. 2006. Basic Plan for Conservation of Natural Environment(2006-2015).
- Andrea P.L. and Bette A.L. 2008. Preliminary Information on the Home Range and Movement Patterns of Sturnira lilium (Phyllostomidae) in a Naturally Fragmented Landcape in Bolivia. BIOTROPICA 40(5) : 630-635. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7429.2008.00422.x
- Ardron J.A., Possingham H.P. and Klein C.J.[eds].2010. Marxan Good Practices Handbook, Version 2. Pacific Marine Analysis and Research Association, Victoria, BC, Canada. 165pages. www.pacmara.org.
- CBD. 2010. Strategic Plan 2011-2020; Aichi Biodiversity Targets(Target 11). http://www.cbd.int/sp/targets/
- David P., Neil S. and Gregory W. 1988. Home Ranges of Sympatric Red Kangaroos Macropus rufus, and Western Grey Kangaroos M. fuliginosus, in Western New South Wales. Aust. Wilil. Res. 15 : 405-411. https://doi.org/10.1071/WR9880405
- Dudley N.[ed]. 2008. Guidelines for applying protected area management categories. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland.
- Game E.T. and H.S. Grantham. 2008. Marxan User Manual : For Marxan version 1.8.10. University of Queensland, St. Lucia, Queensland, Australia, and Pacific Marine Analysis and Research Association, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Geselbracht L., R. Torres, G.S. Cumming, D. Dorfman, M. Beck. 2005. Marine/Esturarine Site Assessment for Florida : A Framework for Site Prioritization. The Nature Conservancy. Accessed on May 9, 2006 at http://myfwc.com/wildlifelegacy/PDF/MarineSitePrioritizationFrameworkfinalrptPart1.pdf.
- Kim, Bohyun. 2012. Enhancing Management System of the Protected Areas in Korea. Doctoral Thesis. University of Seoul. (in Korean with English summary)
- Kown, Hyuk-Soo. 2011. Integrated Evaluation Model of Biodiversity for Conservation Planning : Focused on Mt. Jiri, Mt. Deokyu and Mt. Gaya regions. Doctoral Thesis, Seoul National University. (in Korean with English summary)
- Kwon, Yongwoo․Lee, Changsoo․Byun, Byunseol and Lee, Jae-Jun. Criteria of Land Purchases for Environmental Conservation of the Greenbelt. Journal of Korea Planners Association 41(2) : 79-92. (in Korean with English summary)
- Lee, Gwan-Gyu. 2006. Ecological Resource Assessment for Spatial Decision Support on Private land Policy Inside National Parks, Korea. J. Korean Env. Res & Reveg. Tech. 9(5) : 41-49. (in Korean with English summary)
- Ministry of Envrionment. 2005. Implementation of Comprehensive National Environmental Plan.
- Ministry of Envrionment. 2007. The notification of ecological and natural map(2007-67호).
- Ministry of Envrionment. 2010. The notification of ecological and natural map.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. Officially assessed land price(http://www.kreic.org/realtyprice).
- Naidoo R, Andre B, Pal J.F., Stephen P, Taylor H.R. and Mathieu R. 2006. Integrating economic costs into conservation planning. TRENDS in Ecology and Evolution 21(12) : 681-687. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2006.10.003
- Possingham H. P., J. R. Day, M. Goldfinch and F. Salzborn. 1993. The mathematics of designing a network of protected areas for conservation. In : D. J. Sutton, C. E. M. Pearce and E. A. Cousins (eds) Decision Sciences : Tools for Today. Proceedings of 12th National ASOR Conference. ASOR, Adelaide, pp. 536-545.
- Robert L.P., Matthew E.W., Thomas W.B. and Malcolm J.R. 2009. Spatial Conservation Prioritization. Chapter 16. pp. 211-234. Oxford University Press.
- Rodriguez A.S.L. and Brooks T.M. 2007. Shortcuts for Biodiversity Conservation Planning : The Effectiveness of Surrogates. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 38 : 717-737.
- Stewart R.R. and Possingham H.P. 2005. Efficiency, costs and trade-offs in marine reserve system design. Envrionmental Modeling and Assessment 10 : 203-213. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10666-005-9001-y
- Sung, Hye-Jung․Kwon, Hyuk-Soo․eo, Chang-Wan and Park, Chong-Hwa. 2011. A Study on the Spatial Decision Making Support Model for Protected Areas Boundary (re)Design - A Case of Jirisan National Park-. J. Korean Env. Res. Tech 14(3) : 101-113. (in Korean with English summary)