- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Nitrogen-corrected True Metabolizable Energy and Amino Acid Digestibility of Chinese Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles in Adult Cecectomized Roosters
- Li, F. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University) ;
- Liu, Y. (Shenzhen Kondarl Gaoling Feed Co. Ltd.) ;
- Yin, R.Q. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University) ;
- Yang, X.J. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University) ;
- Yao, J.H. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University) ;
- Sun, F.F. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University) ;
- Li, G.J. (College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A&F University) ;
- Liu, Y.R. (Shenzhen Kondarl Gaoling Feed Co. Ltd.) ;
- Sun, Y.J. (Shenzhen Kondarl Gaoling Feed Co. Ltd.)
- Received : 2012.10.25
- Accepted : 2012.12.31
- Published : 2013.06.01
This study was conducted to evaluate chemical composition, nitrogen-corrected true metabolizable energy (TMEn) and true amino acids digestibility of corn distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) produced in China. Twenty five sources of corn DDGS was collected from 8 provinces of China. A precision-fed rooster assay was used to determine TMEn and amino acids digestibility with 35 adult cecectomized roosters, in which each DDGS sample was tube fed (30 g). The average content of ash, crude protein, total amino acid, ether extract, crude fiber and neutral detergent fiber were 4.81, 27.91, 22.51, 15.22, 6.35 and 37.58%, respectively. TMEn of DDGS ranged from 1,779 to 3,071 kcal/kg and averaged 2,517 kcal/kg. Coefficient of variation for non-amino acid crude protein, ether extract, crude fiber and TMEn were 55.0, 15.7, 15.9 and 17.1%, respectively. The average true amino acid digestibility was 77.32%. Stepwise regression analysis obtained the following equation: TMEn, kcal/kg = -2,995.6+0.88
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th rev, ed. Nalt. Acad. Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Noll, S. L., J. Brannon and C. M. Parsons. 2007. Nutritional value of corn distiller dried grains with solubles (DDGs): Influence of solubles addition. Poult. Sci. 86(Suppl 1):68(Abstr.).
- Noll, S. L., C. M. Parsons and B. Walters. 2006. What's new since September 2005 in feeding distillers co-products to poultry. Proc. Proceedings from the 67th Minnesota Nutrition Conference, University of Minnesota. pp. 149-154.
- Pahm, A. A., C. S. Scherer, J. E. Pettigrew, D. H. Baker, C. M. Parsons and H. H. Stein. 2009. Standardized amino acid digestibility in cecectomized roosters and lysine bioavailability in chicks fed distillers dried grains with solubles. Poult. Sci. 88:571-578. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00184
- Parsons, C. M. 1985. Influence of caecectomy on digestibility of amino acids by roosters fed distillers' dried grains with solubles. J. Agric. Sci. 104:469-472. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600044178
- Parsons, C. M., C. Martinez, V. Singh, S. Radhadkrishman and S. Noll. 2006. Nutritional value of conventional and modified DDGS for poultry. Proc. Multi-State Poultry Nutrition and Feeding Conference.
- Pedersen, C., M. G. Boersma and H. H. Stein. 2007. Digestibility of energy and phosphorus in ten samples of distillers dried grains with solubles fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1168-1176. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-252
- Rochell, S. M., B. J. Kerr and W. A. Dozier. 2011. Energy determination of corn co-products fed to broiler chicks from 15 to 24 days of age, and use of composition analysis to predict nitrogen-corrected apparent metabolizable energy. Poult. Sci. 90:1999-2007. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2011-01468
- SAS Institute. 2003. Statistical Analysis Guide: Statistics. Ver. 8.1 ed. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shim, M. Y., G. M. Pesti, R. I. Bakalli, P. B. Tillman and R. L. Payne. 2011. Evaluation of corn distillers dried grains with solubles as an alternative ingredient for broilers. Poult. Sci. 90:369-376. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00727
- Spiehs, M. J., M. H. Whitney and G. C. Shurson. 2002. Nutrient database for distiller's dried grains with solubles produced from new ethanol plants in Minnesota and South Dakota. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2639-2645.
- Stein, H. H., M. L. Gibson, C. Pedersen and M. G. Boersma. 2006. Amino acid and energy digestibility in ten samples of distillers dried grain with solubles fed to growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:853-860.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Waldroup, P. W., Z. Wang, C. Coto, S. Cerrate and F. Yan. 2007. Development of a standardized nutrient matrix for corn distillers dried grains with solubles. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 6:478-483. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2007.478.483
- AOAC International. 2006. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 18th ed. AOAC Int., Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Babcock, B. A., D. J. Hayes and J. D. Lawrence. 2008. Using distillers grains in the U.S. and international livestock and poultry industries. Midwest Agribusiness Trade Research and Information Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA.
- Batal, A. B. and N. M. Dale. 2006. True metabolizable energy and amino acid digestibility of distillers dried grains with solubles. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 15:89-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/15.1.89
- Belyea, R. L., K. D. Rausch and M. E. Tumbleson. 2004. Composition of corn and distillers dried grains with solubles from dry grind ethanol processing. Bioresour. Technol. 94:293-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.01.001
- Cozannet, P., M. Lessire, C. Gady, J. P. Metayer, Y. Primot, F. Skiba and J. Noblet. 2010. Energy value of wheat dried distillers grains with solubles in roosters, broilers, layers, and turkeys. Poult. Sci. 89:2230-2241. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2010-00833
- Cromwell, G. L., K. L. Herkelman and T. S. Stahly. 1993. Physical, chemical, and nutritional characteristics of distillers dried grains with solubles for chicks and pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:679-686.
- Ergul, T., C. M. Amezcua, C. Parsons, B. Walters, J. Brannon and S. Noll. 2003. Amino acid digestibility in corn distillers dried grains with solubles. Poult. Sci. 82(Suppl.1):70. (Abstr.)
- Farhat, A., L. Normand, E. R. Chavez and S. P. Touchburn. 1998. Nutrient digestibility in food waste ingredients for Pekin and Muscovy ducks. Poult. Sci. 77:1371-1376. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.9.1371
- Fastinger, N. D., J. D. Latshaw and D. C. Mahan. 2006. Amino acid availability and true metabolizable energy content of corn distillers dried grains with solubles in adult cecectomized roosters. Poult. Sci. 85:1212-1216. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.7.1212
- Fiene, S. P., T. W. York and C. Shasteen. 2006. Correlation of DDGS IDEATM digestibility assay for poultry with cockerel true amino acid digestibility. Proc. 4th Mid-Atlantic Nutr. Conf., Univ. Maryland, College Park. pp. 82-89.
- Kim, E. J., C. M. Parsons, R. Srinivasan and V. Singh. 2010. Nutritional composition, nitrogen-corrected true metabolizable energy, and amino acid digestibilities of new corn distillers dried grains with solubles produced by new fractionation processes. Poult. Sci. 89:44-51. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00196
- Leeson, S. and J. D. Summers. 2009. Commercial poultry nutrition. 3rd ed. Nottingham University Press, Thrumpton, Nottingham.
- Influence of the in vivo method and basal dietary ingredients employed in the determination of the amino acid digestibility of wheat distillers dried grains with solubles in broilers vol.93, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03578