- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Rhodobacter capsulatus KCTC-2583 on Cholesterol Metabolism, Egg Production and Quality Parameters during the Late Laying Periods in Hens
- Lokhandea, Anushka (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Ingale, S.L. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, S.H. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, J.S. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lohakare, J.D. (Department of Animal Biotechnology, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chae, B.J. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kwon, I.K. (Department of Animal Products and Food Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2012.10.09
- Accepted : 2013.01.25
- Published : 2013.06.01
An experiment was conducted to investigate the effects of dietary supplementation of Rhodobacter capsulatus KCTC-2583 on egg-yolk and serum cholesterol, egg production and quality parameters during the late laying periods in hens. A total of 160 Hy-Line Brown layers (54 wk-old) were randomly allotted to 4 treatment groups on the basis of laying performance. Each treatment had 4 replicates with 10 birds each (40 birds per treatment). Two hens were confined individually with cage size
Cholesterol;Egg Quality;Laying Hens;Performance;Rhodobacter capsulatus KCTC-2583
- Phonpanichrasamee, C., P. Komaratat and P. Wilairat. 1990. Hypocholesterolemic effect of vitamin E on cholesterol-fed rabbit. Int. J. Vitam. Nutr. Res. 60:240-244.
- Salma, U., A. G. Miah, K. M. A. Tareq, T. Maki and H. Tsujii. 2007a. Effect of dietary Rhodobacter capsulatus on egg-yolk cholesterol and laying hen performance. Poult. Sci. 86:714-719. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.4.714
- Salma, U., A. G. Miah, T. Maki, M. Nishimura and H. Tsujii. 2007b. Effect of dietary Rhodobacter capsulatus on cholesterol concentration and fatty acid composition in broiler meat. Poult. Sci. 86:1920-1926. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.9.1920
- Salyers, A. A., A. Gupta and Y. Wang. 2004. Human intestinal bacteria as reservoirs for antibiotic resistance genes. Trends Microbiol. 12:412-416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tim.2004.07.004
- Sen Sinol, S. L. Ingale, Y. W. Kim, J. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, J. D. Lohakare, E. K. Kim, H. S. Kim, M. H. Ryu, I. K. Kwon and B. J. Chae. 2012. Effect of supplementation of Bacillus subtilis LS 1-2 to broiler diets on growth performance, nutrient retention, caecal microbiology and small intestinal morphology. Res. Vet. Sci. 93:264-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2011.05.021
- Sen Sinol, S. L. Ingale, J. S. Kim, K. H. Kim, Y. W. Kim, C. Khong, J. D. Lohakare, E. K. Kim, H. S. Kim, I. K. Kwon and B. J. Chae. 2011. Effect of supplementation of Bacillus subtilis LS 1-2 grown on citrus-juice waste and corn-soybean meal substrate on growth performance, nutrient retention, caecal microbiology and small intestinal morphology of broilers. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 24:1120-1127.
- Shim, K. S., G. H. Park, C. J. Choi and C. S. Na. 2004. Decreased triglyceride and cholesterol levels in serum, liver and breast muscle in broiler by the supplementation of dietary Codonopsis lanceolata root. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 17:511-513. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.511
- Tsujii, H., M. Nishioka, U. Salma, A. G. Miah, T. Maki, and M. G. Lee. 2007. Comparative study on hypocholesterolemic effect of Rhodopseudomonas palustris and Rhodobacter capsulatus on rats fed a high-cholesterol diet. Anim. Sci. J. 78:535-540. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00473.x
- USDA. 1991. Nutrient content of foods. Dairy and Egg Products Handbook 8-1. USDA, Washington, DC, USA.
- Uyanik, F., S. Kaya, A. H. Kolsuz, M. Eren and N. Sahin. 2002. The effect of chromium supplementation on egg production, egg quality and some serum parameters in laying hens. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 26:379-387.
- Vahouny, G. V., W. Chalcarz, S. Satchithanandam, I. Adamson, D. Klurfeld and D. Kritchevsky. 1984. Effect of soy protein and casein intake on intestinal absorption and lymphatic transport of cholesterol and oleic acid. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 40:1156-1164.
- Yeum, K. J. and R. M. Russell. 2002. Carotenoid bioavailability and bioconversion. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 22:483-504. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nutr.22.010402.102834
- Chowdhury, S. R., D. K. Sarker, S. D. Chowdhury, T. K. Smith, P. K. Roy and M. A. Wahid. 2005. Effects of dietary tamarind on cholesterol metabolism in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 84:56-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.1.56
- Chowdhury, S. R., S. D. Chowdhury and T. K. Smith. 2002. Effects of garlic on cholesterol metabolism in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 81:1856-1862. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.12.1856
- Elkin, R. G. and J. C. Rogler. 1990. Reduction of the cholesterol content of eggs by the oral administration of lovastatin to laying hens. J. Agric. Food Chem. 38:1635-1641. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00098a003
- Fuller, R. 1989. Probiotics in man and animals. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 66:365-378. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1989.tb05105.x
- Hargis, P. S. 1988. Modifying egg yolk cholesterol in domestic fowl-A review. World's Poult. Sci. J. 44:17-29. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19880002
- Hollands, K. G., A. A. Grunder and C. J. Williams. 1980. Response to five generations of selection for blood cholesterol levels in White Leghorns. Poult. Sci. 59:1316-1323. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0591316
- Jin, L. Z., H. W. Ho, N. Abdullah and S. Jalaludin. 1997. Probiotics in poultry: Modes of action. World's Poult. Sci. J. 53:351-368. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19970028
- Karadas, F., E. Grammenidis, P. F. Surai, T. Acamovic and N. H. Sparks. 2006. Effects of carotenoids from lucerne, marigold and tomato on egg yolk pigmentation and carotenoid composition. Br. Poult. Sci. 47:561-666. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660600962976
- Kim, J. S., S. L. Ingale, Y. W. Kim, K. H. Kim, Sinol Sen, M. H. Ryu, J. D. Lohakare, I. K. Kwon and B. J. Chae. 2012. Effect of supplementation of multi-microbe probiotic product on growth performance, apparent digestibility, cecal microbiota and small intestinal morphology of broilers. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 96:618-626. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2011.01187.x
- Kobayashi, M. and S. Kurata. 1978. The mass culture and cell utilization of photosynthetic bacteria. Process Biochem. 9:27-29.
- Lee, M. G., M. Kobayashi and K. Yasumoto. 1990. Hypocholesterolemic effect of phototropic bacterial cells in rats. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 36:475-483. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.36.475
- Lewis, N. M., S. Seburg, and N. L. Flanagan. 2000. Enriched eggs as a source of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids for humans. Poult. Sci. 79:971-974. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.7.971
- Mathur, S. and R. Singh. 2005. Antibiotic resistance in food lactic acid bacteria- a review. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 105:281-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2005.03.008
- Mottaghitalab, M. and Z. Taraz. 2002. Effects of garlic powder (Allium sativum) on egg yolk and blood serum cholesterol in Aryan breed laying hens. Br. Poult. Sci. 43:S42-S43. https://doi.org/10.1080/000716602762388608
- Noble, R. C. 1987. Egg lipids. Pages 159-177 in Egg quality current problems and recent advances. R. G. Wells and C. G. Belyavin, ed. Butterworths, London, UK.
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient Requirement of Poultry. 9th Edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Ouchi, Y., R. E. Tabata, K. Stergiopoulos, F. Sato, A. Hattori and H. Orimo. 1990. Effect of dietary magnesium on development of atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits. Arteriosclerosis 10:732-737. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.10.5.732
- Afrose, S., M. S. Hossain, T. Maki and H. Tsujii. 2010. Effects of karaya saponin and Rhodobacter capsulatus on yolk cholesterol in laying hens. Br. Poult. Sci. 51:409-418. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2010.495469
- Amen, R. J. and P. A. Lachance. 1974. The effect of betacarotene and canthaxanthin on serum cholesterol levels in the rat. Nutr. Rep. Int. 10:269-276.
- Ansah, G. A., C. W. Chan, S. P. Touchburn and R. B. Buckland. 1985. Selection for low yolk cholesterol in Leghorn-type chickens. Poult. Sci. 64:1-5. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0640001
- AOAC International. 2007. Official methods of analysis of AOAC International. 18th ed. AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD.
- Bakalli, R. I., G. M. Pesti, W. L. Ragland and V. Konjufca. 1995. Dietary copper in excess of nutritional requirement reduces plasma and breast muscle cholesterol of chicken. Poult. Sci. 74:360-365. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0740360
- Balevi, R. and B. Coskun. 2004. Effects of dietary copper on production and egg cholesterol content in laying hens. Br. Poult. Sci. 45:530-534. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660412331286253
- Choi, J. Y., J. S. Kim, S. L. Ingale, K. H. Kim, P. L. Shinde, I. K. Kwon and B. J. Chae. 2011. Effect of potential multi-microbe probiotic product processed by high drying temperature and antibiotic on performance of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 89:1795-1804. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2794
- Choi, J. Y., P. L. Shinde, S. L. Ingale, J. S. Kim, Y. W. Kim, K. H. Kim, I. K. Kwon and B. J. Chae. 2011. Evaluation of multi-microbe probiotics prepared by submerged liquid or solid substrate fermentation and antibiotics in weaning pigs. Livest. Sci. 138:144-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.12.015
- Laying Performance of Korean Native Breeder Ducks for Producing Korean Native Commercial Ducks vol.41, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2014.41.1.69
- (Merr.) on egg yolk cholesterol, excreta microflora and laying hen performance vol.55, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2014.938020