- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Feeding Levels of Starter on Weaning Age, Performance, Nutrient Digestibility and Health Parameters in Holstein Dairy Calves
- Nejad, J. Ghassemi (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hosseindoust, A. (Department of Animal Science, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources) ;
- Shoae, A. (Department of Zoology, University of Otago) ;
- Ghorbani, B. (Department of Animal Science, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources) ;
- Lee, B.H. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Oskoueian, E. (Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, University Putra Malaysia) ;
- Hajilari, D. (Department of Animal Science, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources) ;
- Amouzmehr, A. (Department of Animal Science, Gorgan University of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources) ;
- Lohakare, J.D. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Sung, K.I. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2012.12.19
- Accepted : 2013.02.24
- Published : 2013.06.01
To evaluate the effects of feeding four different levels of starter in male Holstein dairy calves, a completely randomized study was conducted, using 28 calves with initial body weight of
Holstein Dairy Calves;Levels of Starter;Health;Performance
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 1990. 13th edition. Pubic. By AOAC, P.O.B. Box 54, Washington, DC, USA.
- Coverdale, J. A., H. D. Tyler, J. D. Quigley and J. A. Brumm. 2004. Effect of various levels of forage and form of diet on rumen development and growth in calves. J. Dairy Sci. 87:2554-2562. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(04)73380-9
- Davis, C. L. and J. K. Drackley. 1998. Development, nutrition and management of the young calf. First ed. USA: Iowa state university press.
- Franklin, T., D. M. Amaral-Phillips, J. A. Jackson, and A. A. Campbell. 2003. Health and performance of Holstein calves that suckled or were hand-fed colostrum and were fed one of three physical forms of starter. J. Dairy Sci. 86:2145-2153. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73804-1
- Greenwood, R. H., J. L. Morrill and E. C. Titgemeyer. 1997. Using dry feed intake as a percentage of initial body weight as a weaning criterion. J. Dairy Sci. 80:2542-2546. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76208-8
- Huber, J. T., A. G. Silva, O. F. Campos and C. M. Mathieu. 1984. Influence of feeding different amounts of milk on performance, health, and absorption capability of baby calves. J. Dairy Sci. 67:2957-2963. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(84)81659-8
- Larson, L. L., F. G. Owen, J. L. Albright, R. D. Appelman, R. C. Lamb and L. D. Muller. 1977. Guidelines toward more uniformity in measuring and reporting calf experimental data. J. Dairy Sci. 60:989-991 https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(77)83975-1
- Leaver, J. D. and N. H. Yarrow. 1972. Rearing of dairy cattle 2. Weaning calves according to their concentrate intake. Anim. Prod. 14:161-165. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100010837
- Luchini, N. D., S. F. Lane and D. K. Combs. 1991. Evaluation of starter diet crude protein level and feeding regimen for calves weaned at 26 d of age. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3949-3955. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78589-5
- Morrill, J. L. 1995. The calf: birth to 12 weeks. 1992. "Large Dairy Herd Management". (Ed. H. H. Van Horn and C. J. Wilcox). American Dairy Science Association, Savoy. 401-410.
- Quigley, J. D., K. R. Martin, D. A. Bemis, L. N. D. Potgieter, C. R. Reinemeyer, B. W. Rohrbach, H. H. Dowlen and K. C. Lamar. 1995. Effects of housing and colostrums feeding on serum immunoglobulins, growth, and fecal scores of Jersey calves. J. Dairy Sci. 78:893-901. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76703-0
- SAS: 1989-1996, SAS Institute Incorporation, Cary, NC, USA.
- Abdelgadir, I. E. O., J. L. Morrill and J. J. Higgins. 1996. Effect of roasted soybeans and corn on performance and ruminal and blood metabolites of dairy calves. J. Dairy Sci. 79:465-474. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(96)76387-7
- Anderson, K. L., T. G. Nagaraja and J. L. Morrill. 1987. Ruminal metabolic development in calves weaned conventionally or early. J. Dairy Sci. 70:1000-1005. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80105-4
- Appleman, R. D. and F. G. Owen. 1975. Breeding, housing, and feeding management. J. Dairy Sci. 58:447-464. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(75)84588-7
- Arrayet, J. L., A. M. Oberbauer, T. R. Famula, I. Garnett, J. W. Oltjen, J. Imhoof, M. E. Kehrli, Jr. and T. W. Graham. 2002. Growth of Holstein calves from birth to 90 days: The influence of dietary zinc and BLAD status. J. Anim. Sci. 80:545-552.
- Fatty acid profile of meat, diurnal changes in volatile fatty acids, rumen fluid parameters, and growth performance in Korean native (Hanwoo) steers fed high- and low-forage diets supplemented with chromium-methionine vol.45, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000800009
- Behavioral and physiological changes during heat stress in Corriedale ewes exposed to water deprivation vol.59, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-017-0140-x
- Effects of forage ensiling and ration fermentation on total mixed ration pH, ruminal fermentation and performance of growing Holstein-Zebu cross steers vol.88, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12797
- Blood hormone profiles, physiological variables, and behavioral criteria in Corriedale ewes fed different TMR moisture levels during thermal–humidity exposure pp.1744-4179, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09291016.2017.1362095