- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance of Lambs Fed Diet Supplemented with Rice Bran Oil as Such or as Calcium Soap
- Bhatt, R.S. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Karim, S.A. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Sahoo, A. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Shinde, A.K. (Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.11.07
- Accepted : 2012.12.20
- Published : 2013.06.01
Forty two Malpura lambs (21 d old) were divided into three groups of 14 each consisting of 8 females and 6 males. Lambs were allowed to suckle their respective dams twice daily up to weaning (13 wks) and offered free choice concentrate and roughage in a cafeteria system. The lambs in control group were fed conventional concentrate mixture, in RBO group concentrate mixture fortified with 4% industrial grade rice bran oil and in Ca-soap rice bran oil (as in RBO group) was supplemented in the form of calcium soap. The concentrate intake decreased(
Rice Bran Oil;Ca-soap;Total Volatile Fatty Acid;Growth;Carcass Trait;Digestibility
- Trinder, P. 1969. Determination of blood glucose using an oxidase-peroxidase system with a non carcinogenic chromogen. J. Clin. Pathol. 22:158-161. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.22.2.158
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. Symposium: carbohydrate methodology, metabolism and nutritional implications in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wanapat, M., A. Petlum and S. Chanthai. 2005. Effects of level of urea and coconut oil on rumen ecology, milk yield and composition in lactating dairy cows fed on urea- treated rice straw. Workshop on"Making better use of local feed resources, 23-25 May, 2005. Thailand. http://www.mekarn.org/proctu/wana 13.htm.
- Wu, Z., O. A. Ohajuruka and D. L. Palmquist. 1991. Ruminal synthesis, bio-hydrogenation and digestibility of fatty acids by dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3025-3034. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78488-9
- Wybenga, D. R., V. J. Pilegg, P. H. Dirstine and J. Di Giorgio. 1970. Direct manual determination of serum total cholesterol with a single stable reagent. Clin. Chem. 16:980-984.
- Yusuf, A. M., O. A. Olafadehan, C. O. Obun, M. Inuma, M. H. Garba and S. M. Shagwa. 2009. Nutritional evaluation of sheabutter fat in fattening of Yankasa sheep. Pakistan J. Nutr. 8:1062-1067. https://doi.org/10.3923/pjn.2009.1062.1067
- SPSS 2005. Statistical package for social sciences, SPSS 14.0 for Windows. Statistical package for social sciences. SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Sutton, J. D., R. Knight, A. B. McAllan and R. H. Smith. 1983. Digestion and synthesis in the rumen of sheep given diets supplemented with free and protected oils. Br. J. Nutr. 49:419-432. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19830051
- Lourenco, A. L. G., A. A. Dias-da-Silva, A. J. M. Fonseca and J. T. Azevedo. 2000. Effects of live weight, maturity and genotype of sheep fed a hay based diet on intake, digestion and live weight gain. Livest. Prod. Sci. 63:291-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00134-7
- Machmuller, A., D. A. Ossowski and M. Kreuzer. 2000. Comparative evaluation of the effects of coconut oil, oilseeds and crystalline fat on methane release, digestion and energy balance in lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 85:41-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00126-7
- Machmüller, A. and M. Kreuzer. 1999. Methane suppression by coconut oil and associated effects on nutrient and energy balance in sheep. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 79:65-72. https://doi.org/10.4141/A98-079
- Manso, T., T. Castro, A. R. Mantecon and V. Jimeno. 2006. Effects of palm oil and calcium soaps of palm oil fatty acids in fattening diets on digestibility, performance and chemical body composition of lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 127:175-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.08.013
- Naik, P. K., S. Saijpaul and Rani Neelam. 2007. Evaluation of rumen protected fat prepared by fusion method. Anim. Nutr. Feed Technol. 7:95-101.
- Nestel, P. J., A. Poyser, R. L. Hood, S. C. Mills, M. R. Willis, L. J. Cook and T. W. Scott. 1978. The effect of dietary fat supplements on cholesterol metabolism in ruminants. J. Lipid Res. 19:899-909.
- Nigdi, M. E., S. C. Loerch, F. L. Fluharty and D. L. Palmiquist. 1990. Effect of calcium soaps of long chain fatty acids on feedlot performance, carcass characteristics and ruminal metabolism of steers. J. Anim. Sci. 68:2555-2565.
- Perez, J. M., G. Bories, A. Aumaitre, B. Barrier-Guillet, A. Delaveau, L. Gueguen, M. Larbier and D. Sauvant. 2002. Consequences en elevage et pour le consommateur du remplacement des farines et des graisses animals. INRA Prod. Anim. 15:87-96.
- Reddy, R. Y., N. Krishna, E. Raghava Rao and T. Janardgana Reddy. 2003. Influence of dietary protected lipids on intake and digestibility of straw based diets in deccani sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 106:29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(03)00064-6
- Sahoo, A., Neeta Agarwal, D. N. Kamra, L. C. Chaudhary and N. N. Pathak. 1999. Influence of the level of molasses in de-oiled rice bran based concentrate mixture on rumen fermentation pattern in crossbred calves. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 80:83-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(99)00055-3
- Santra, A. and S. A. Karim. 2002. Growth performance of faunated and defaunated Malpura weaner lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 86:251-260.
- Santra, A., S. A. Karim and V. K. Singh. 2007. Defaunation for improving mutton and wool production in sheep. Central sheep and wool research institute, Avikanagar-304 501, Rajasthan, India.
- Shipe, W. F., G. F. Senyk and K. B. Fountain. 1980. Modified copper soap solvent extraction method for measuring free fatty acids in milk. J. Dairy Sci. 63:193-198. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82913-4
- Sklan, D., Lily Nagar and A. Arieli. 1990. Effect of feeding different levels of fatty acids or calcium soaps of fatty acids on digestion and metabolizable energy in sheep. Anim. Prod. 50:93-98. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100004499
- Cheng, K. J., J. P. Fay, R. E. Howarth and J. W. Costerton. 1980. Sequence of events in the digestion of fresh legume leaves by rumen bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 40:613-625.
- Clinquart, A., D. Micol, C. Brundseaux, I. Dufrasne and L. Istasse. 1995. Utilisation des matierres grasses chez les bovines avec a I'engraissement. INRA Prod. Anim. 8:29-42.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Febel, H., F. Husveth, T. Veresegyhazy, E. Andrasofszky, I. Varheqyi and S. Huszar. 2002. Effect of different fat sources on in vitro degradation of nutrients and certain blood parameters in sheep. Acta Vet. Hung. 50:217-229. https://doi.org/10.1556/AVet.50.2002.2.11
- Finlay, B. J., G. Estaben, K. J. Clarke, A. G. Williams, T. M. Embley, R. P. Hirt. 1994. Some rumen ciliates have endosymbiotic methanogens. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 117:157-161. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1994.tb06758.x
- Haddad, S. G. and H. M. Younis. 2004. The effect of addind ruminally protected fat in fattening diets on nutrient intake, digestibility and growth performance of Awassi lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 113:61-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2003.10.015
- Hightshoe, R. B., R. C. Cochran, L. R. Corah, D. L. Harmon and E. S. Vanzant. 1991. Influence of source and level of ruminal escape lipid in supplements on forage intake, digestibility, digesta flow and fermentation characteristics in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 69:4974-4982.
- ISI, 1963. Indian standard specifications for mutton and goat flesh. Fresh, chilled and frozen. IS 2536, Bureau of Indian Standard Institution, New Delhi, India.
- Jenkins, T. C. and D. L. Palmquist. 1984. Effect of fatty acids or calcium soaps on rumen and total nutrient digestibility of dairy rations. J. Dairy Sci. 67:978-986. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(84)81396-X
- Karim, S. A. and R. S. Bhatt. 2012. Small ruminant production in India: issues and approaches. In: Trends in small ruminant production: perspectives and prospects (Ed. A. Sahoo, S. K. Sankhyan, C. P. Swarnkar, A. K. Shinde and S. A. Karim). SSPH Delhi, India pp. 1-11.
- Khorasani, G. R., G. de Boer, P. H. Robinson and J. J. Kennelly. 1992. Effect of canola fat on ruminal and total tract digestion, plasma hormones and metabolites in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:492-501. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77786-8
- Khorasani, G. R. and J. J. Kennelly. 1998. Effect of added dietary fat on performance, rumen characteristics, and plasma metabolites of mid lactation dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2459-2468. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)70137-7
- Kronfield, D. A. and S. Donoghue. 1980. Digestibility and associative effects of protected tallow. J. Dairy Sci. 63:642-645. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82985-7
- Leon, A. E., M. C. Olmos, E. Cruz and R. Garcia. 1999. Accumulation of body fat in Cuban Pelibuey lambs according to age and feeding level. Arch. Zootech. 48:219-222.
- Leng, R. A. 1989. Dynamics of protozoa in the rumen. In: The role of protozoa and fungi in ruminant digestion, proceeding of an international seminar held at the university of New England (Ed. J. V. Nolan, R. A. Leng and D. I. Demeyer). Armidale, NSW, Australia, pp. 51-57.
- Alexander, G.., Z. Prabhakara Rao and J. Rama Prasad. 2002. Effect of supplementing sheep with sunflower acid oil or its calcium soap on nutrient utilization. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1288-1293. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.1288
- Allen, M. S., B. J. Bradford and M. Oba. 2009. The hepatic oxidation theory of the control of feed intake and its application to ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 87:3317-3334. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-1779
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis of the AOAC International. 17th ed.Vol. 1 and 2. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Agricultural Research Council. 1990. The nutrient requirement of ruminant livestock. Supplement 1. Agricultural Research Council. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. Farham Royal, UK, pp. 78-80.
- Bhatt, R. S., M. K. Tripathi, D. L. Verma and S. A. Karim. 2009. Effect of different feeding regimes on pre weaning growth, rumen fermentation and its influence on post weaning performance of lambs. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 93:568-576. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2008.00845.x
- Bhatt, R. S., N. M. Soren, M. K. Tripathi and S. A. Karim. 2011. Effects of different levels of coconut oil supplementation on performance, digestibility, rumen fermentation and carcass traits of Malpura lambs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 164:29-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2010.11.021
- Bhatt, R. S., A. Sahoo, A. K. Shinde and S. A. Karim. 2012. Effect of supplementing calcium soap of fatty acids on biochemical profile, rumen fermentation, pre- and post-weaning growth and carcass traits of Malpura lambs. Anim. Prod. Sci. (Accepted)
- Bindel, D. J., J. S. Drouillard, E. C. Titgemeyer, R. H. Wessels and C. A. Loest. 2000. Effects of ruminally protected choline and dietary fat on performance and blood metabolites of finishing heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2497-2503.
- Butterfield, R. M. 1988. New concepts of sheep growth, University of Sidney, Sidney, NSW, Australia.
- -tocopherol acetate in lamb diets on performance, digestibility, ruminal parameters and meat quality vol.100, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12370
- Performance and carcass characteristics of Australian purebred and crossbred lambs supplemented with Rice Bran vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-015-0069-x
- The influence of protected kapok seed oil supplementation on in vitro ruminal fermentability and linoleic acid status with Etawah crossbred goat rumen fluid and elephant grass as feed vol.11, pp.14, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/AJAR2014.9247
- Effect of Protected Fat as Ca-Soap and Formaldehyde-Treated Full-Fat Soybean in the Finisher Diet of Lambs on Growth Performance, Carcass Traits and Fatty Acid Profile vol.6, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40003-017-0273-7
- Omega–3 Long-Chain Fatty Acids in the Heart, Kidney, Liver and Plasma Metabolite Profiles of Australian Prime Lambs Supplemented with Pelleted Canola and Flaxseed Oils vol.9, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9080893