- Volume 9 Issue 1
One of the obstacles preventing the Zigbee protocol from being widely used is the excessive power consumption of Zigbee devices in low bandwidth and low power requirement applications. This paper proposes a protocol that resolves the power efficiency problem. The proposed protocol reduces the power consumption of Zigbee devices in beacon-enabled networks without increasing the time taken by Zigbee peripherals to communicate with their coordinator. The proposed protocol utilizes a beacon control mechanism called a "sleep pattern," which is updated based on the previous event statistics. It determines exactly when Zigbee peripherals wake up or sleep. A simulation of the proposed protocol using realistic parameters and an experiment using commercial products yielded similar results, demonstrating that the protocol may be a solution to reduce the power consumption of Zigbee devices.
Zigbee;Low Power Protocol;Beacon;Power Consumption
- "IEEE Standard for Information Technology-Part 15.4: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (LR-WPANs)", Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2003.
- Wei Ye, "Medium Access Control With Coordinated Adaptive Sleeping for Wireless Sensor Networks", IEEE/ACM transactions on networking, Vol.12, No.3, Junuary, 2004, pp.493-506. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2004.828953
- Wei Ye, John Heidemann, Deborah Estrin, "An Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks", INFOCOM 2002, New York, Vol.3, Junuary, 2002, pp.1567-1576.
- T. V. Dam and K. Langendoen, "An Adaptive Energy-Efficient MAC Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks", SenSys'03, Los Angeles, Noverbem, 2003, pp.171-180.
- Tao Zheng, Sridhar Radhakrishnan and Venkatesh Sarangan, "PMAC: An adaptive energy-efficient MAC protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks", IEEE WMAN 05, April, 2005.
- Peng Lin, Chunming Qiao and Xin Wang, "Medium Access Control With A Dynamic Duty Cycle For Sensor Networks" , WCNC 2004 - IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, No.1, March, 2004, pp.1522-1527.
- ZigBee Alliance, www.zigbee.org
- Ashit Talukder, Rajankumar Bhatt, Tanwir Sheikh, Rishi Pidva, L Chandramouli , S. Monacos, "Dynamic Control and Power Management Algorithm For Continuous Wireless Monitoring in Sensor Networks", Proceedings of the 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN'04), Vol.00, November, 2004, pp.498-505.
- Ilker Demirkol, Cem Ersoy, and Fatih Alagoz, "MAC Protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks", IEEE Communications Magazine, (IN PRESS), 2005.
- Peng Lin, Chunming Qiao and Xin Wang, "Medium Access Control With A Dynamic Duty Cycle For Sensor Networks", Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, 2004, Vol.3, March, 2004, pp.1534-1539.
- Wendi Rabiner Heinzelman, Anantha Chandrakasan, and Hari Balakrishnan, "Energy-efficient communication protocols for wireless microsensor networks", Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (HICSS), January, 2000.
- Alec Woo and David Culler, "A transmission control scheme for media access in sensor networks", Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Rome, Italy, July, 2001, pp.221-235.
- Poole, I, "What exactly is ... ZigBee?", Communication Engineer, IEEE Communications Engineer, Vol.2, No.4, August-September, 2004, pp.44-45.
- G. Lu, B. Krishnamachari, C.S. Raghavendra, "An adaptive energy efficient and low-latency MAC for data gathering in wireless sensor networks", Proceedings of 18th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, April, 2004, pp.224.
- 1. Design of Programmable LED Controller with a Variable Current Source for 3D Image Display vol.5, pp.4, 2014, doi:10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.1.041
- 3. Mobile middleware platform for secure vessel traffic system in IoT service environment vol.9, pp.6, 2016, doi:10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.1.041
- 4. A power-efficient vertical handover with MIH-based network scanning through consistency check vol.69, pp.3, 2014, doi:10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.1.041
- 5. NTB branch predictor: dynamic branch predictor for high-performance embedded processors vol.72, pp.5, 2016, doi:10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.1.041
- 6. A Study On Design of ZigBee Chip Communication Module for Remote Radiation Measurement vol.18, pp.4, 2014, doi:10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.1.041
- 7. Whitelists Based Multiple Filtering Techniques in SCADA Sensor Networks vol.2014, 2014, doi:10.3745/JIPS.2013.9.1.041