- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Seismic behavior of reinforced concrete interior beam-column joints with beams of different depths
- Xing, G.H. (School of Civil Engineering, Chang'an University) ;
- Wu, T. (School of Civil Engineering, Chang'an University) ;
- Niu, D.T. (School of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Architecture & Technology) ;
- Liu, X. (School of Civil Engineering, Chang'an University)
- Received : 2011.07.02
- Accepted : 2012.10.29
- Published : 2013.04.25
Current Design Codes for Reinforced Concrete (RC) interior beam-column joints are based on limited experimental studies on the seismic behavior of eccentric joints. To supplement existing information, an experimental study was conducted that focused on the effect of eccentricity of the deeper beams with respect to the shallow beams. A total of eight one-third scale interior joints with beams of different depths were subjected to reverse cyclic loading. The primary variables in the test specimens were the amount of joint transverse reinforcement and the cross section of the shallow beams. The overall performance of each test assembly was found to be unsatisfactory in terms of joint shear strength, stiffness, energy dissipation and shear deformation. The results indicated that the vertical eccentricity of spandrel beams in this type of joint led to lower capacity in joint shear strength and severe damage of concrete in the joint core. Increasing the joint shear reinforcement was not effective to alter the failure mode from joint shear failure to beam yielding which is favorable for earthquake resistance design, whereas it was effective to reduce the crack width at the small loading stages. Based on the observed behavior, the shear stress of the joint core was suggested to be kept as low as possible for a safe and practical design of this type of joint.
- ACI Committee 318. (2008), Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI318-08) and commentary (318R-08), Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- Canbolat, B.B. and Wight, J.K. (2008), "Experimental investigation on seismic behavior of eccentric reinforced concrete beam-column-slab connections", ACI Struct. J., 105(2), 154-162.
- Chen, C.C. and Chen, G.K. (1999), "Cyclic behavior of reinforced concrete eccentric beam-column corner joints connecting spread-ended beams", ACI Struct. J., 96(3), 443-449.
- GB50010. (2010), Code for design of concrete and structures, China Architecture & Building Press, Peking.
- Hanson, N.W. and Connor, H.W. (1967), "Seismic resistance of reinforced concrete beam-column joints", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 93(5), 553-560.
- Joh, O., Goto, Y. and Shibata, T. (1991), "Behavior of reinforced concrete beam-column joints with eccentricity", Design of beam-column joints for seismic resistance (SP123-12), American Concrete Institute, Michigan, 317-357.
- Joint ACI-ASCE Committee 352. (2002), Recommendations for design of beam-column connections in monolithic reinforced concrete structures (ACI352R-02), Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- Lee, H.J. and Yu, S.Y. (2009), "Cyclic response of exterior beam-column joints with different anchorage methods", ACI Struct. J., 106(3), 329-339.
- Li, B., Pan, T.C. and Tran, C.T.N. (2009), "Effects of axial compression load and eccentricity on seismic behavior of nonseismically detailed interior beam-wide column joints", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 135(7), 774-784. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:7(774)
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic design of reinforced concrete and masonry buildings, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York.
- Paulay, T., Park, R. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1978), "Reinforced concrete beam-column joints under seismic actions", ACI Struct. J., 75(11), 585-593.
- Raffaelle, G.S. and Wight, J.K. (1995), "Reinforced concrete eccentric beam-column connections subjected to earthquake-type loading", ACI Struct. J., 92(1), 45-55.
- Shin, M. and Lafave, J.M. (2004), "Seismic performance of reinforced concrete eccentric beam-column connections with floor slabs", ACI Struct. J., 101(3), 403-412.
- Shiohara, H. (2001), "New models for shear failure of RC interior beam-column connections", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 127(2), 152-160. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:2(152)
- Teng, S. and Zhou, H. (2003), "Eccentric reinforced concrete beam-column joints subjected to cyclic loading", ACI Struct. J., 100(2), 139-148.
- Effective stiffness in regular R/C frames subjected to seismic loads vol.9, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.3.481
- Unified equivalent frame method for flat plate slab structures under combined gravity and lateral loads - Part 1: derivation vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.719
- Constitutive models of concrete structures subjected to seismic shear vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.627
- Seismic behavior evaluation of exterior beam-column joints with headed or hooked bars using nonlinear finite element analysis vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.861
- Effects of joint aspect ratio on required transverse reinforcement of exterior joints subjected to cyclic loading vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.705
- Experimental and numerical evaluation of rigid column to baseplate connection under cyclic loading pp.15417794, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1596