- Volume 4 Issue 4
In earthquake engineering area, the critical excitation method is an approach to find the most severe earthquake subjected to the structure. However, given some earthquake constraints, such as intensity and power, the critical excitations have spectral density functions that often resonate with the first modes of the structure. This paper presents a non-stationary critical excitation that is capable of exciting the main modes of the structure using a non-uniform power spectral density (PSD) that is similar to natural earthquakes. Thus, this paper proposes a new method to estimate the power and intensity of earthquakes. Finally, a new method for the linear seismic design of structures using a modified non-stationary critical excitation is proposed.
random vibration;critical excitation;spectral density function;non-stationary input
- Abbas, A.M. and Manohar, C.S. (2002), "Investigation into critical earthquake load models within deterministic frameworks", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 31(3), 813-832. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.124
- Ahmadi, G. (1979), "On the application of the critical excitation method to a seismic design", J. Struct. Mech., 7, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/03601217908905312
- Ashtari, P. (2006), "Seismic design and evaluation of structures using critical excitation method", Doctoral dissertation, Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- Ashtari, P. and Ghasemi, S.H. (2010a), "Continuous combinatorial critical excitation for S.D.O.F structures", Proceeding of 10th International Conference on Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management PSAM10, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Ashtari, P. and Ghasemi, S.H. (2010b), "Real critical excitation of M.D.O.F structures having continuous PSD function", Proceeding of 10th International Conference on Recent Advance Structural DynamicRASD10, Southampton, England, UK.
- Ben-Haim, Y. and Elishakoff, I. (1990), Convex models of uncertainty in applied mechanics, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J. (1975), Dynamic of structures, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Drenick, R.F. (1970), "Model-free design of a seismic structures", J. Eng. Mech. Div.-ASCE, 96(EM4), 483-493.
- Fujita, K., Moustafa, A. and Takewaki, I. (2010), "Optimal placement of viscoelastic dampers and members under variable critical excitation", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 43-67. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.1.043
- Ghodrati, G. and Ashtari, P. (2004), "Optimization technique for finding probabilistic critical excitation", Proceeding of 7th International Conference on Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management PSAM7, Berlin.
- Ghodrati, G., Ashtari, P. and Rahami, H. (2006), "New development of artificial record generation by wavelet theory", Int. J. Struct. Eng. Mech., 22(2), 185-195. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2006.22.2.185
- Hong, H.P. and Wang, S.S. (2002), "Probabilistic analysis of peak response of MDOF systems with uncertain PSD function", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 31(9), 1719-1733. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.187
- Iyengar, R.N. (1972), "Worst inputs and a bound on the highest peak statistics of a class of non-linear systems", J. Sound Vib., 25(1), 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(72)90593-7
- Kanai, K. (1957), Semi-empirical formula for seismic characteristics of the ground, Bulletin Earthquake, Research Institute, University of Tokyo, 35, 309-325.
- Lai, S.P. (1982), "Statistical characterization of strong motions using power spectral density function", B. Seismol. Soc. Am., 72(1), 259-274.
- Manohar, C.S. and Sarkar, A. (1995), "Critical earthquake input power spectral density function models for engineering structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 24(12), 1549-1566. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290241202
- Moustafa, A. and Takewaki, I. (2009), "Use of probabilistic and deterministic measures to identify unfavorable earthquake records", Sci. A, 10(5), 619-634.
- Moustafa, A., Ueno, K. and Takewaki, I. (2010), "Critical earthquake loads for S.D.O.F inelastic structures considering evolution of seismic waves", Earthq. Struct., 1(2), 147-162. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.2.147
- Pantelides, C.P. and Tzan, S.R. (1996), "Convex model for seismic design of structures: I analysis", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25(9), 927-944. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199609)25:9<927::AID-EQE594>3.0.CO;2-H
- Papoulis, A. (1967), "Limits on band limited signals", P. IEEE, 55(10), 1677-1686. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1967.5960
- Sarkar, A. and Manohar, C.S. (1998), "Critical seismic vector random excitations for multiply supported structures", J. Sound Vib., 212(3), 525-546. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1997.1460
- Shinozuka, M. (1970), "Maximum structural response to seismic excitations", J. Eng. Mech. Div.-ASCE, 96(EM5), 729-738.
- Standard No. 2800, (2005), Iranian code of practice for seismic resistant design of buildings, Third Revision, Building and Housing Research Center, Iran.
- Tajimi, H. (1960), "A statistical method of determining the maximum response of a building structure during an earthquake", Proceedings of the Second World Conference on Earthquake engineering, 2, Tokyo, Japan, 782-796.
- Takewaki, I. (2001a), "A new method for nonstationary random critical excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 30(4), 519-535. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.21
- Takewaki, I. (2001b), "Non-stationary random critical excitation for acceleration response", ASCE, 127(6), 544-556.
- Takewaki, I. (2002), "Robust building stiffness design for variable critical excitations", J. Struct. Eng., 128(12), 1565-1574. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:12(1565)
- Takewaki, I. (2007), Critical excitation methods in earthquake engineering, Elsevier, Ltd.
- Takewaki, I. and Tsujimoto, H. (2011), "Scaling of design earthquake ground motions for tall buildings based on drift and input energy demands", Earthq. Struct., 2(2), 171-187. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.2.171
- Takewaki, I., Moustafa, A. and Fujita, K. (2012), Improving the earthquake resilience of buildings: The worst case approach, Springer (London).
- An eﬃcient response identification strategy for nonlinear structures subject to nonstationary generated seismic excitations vol.45, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/15397734.2017.1317269
- Seismic response distribution estimation for isolated structures using stochastic response database vol.9, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.5.937
- State-of-the-Art Model to Evaluate Space Headway Based on Reliability Analysis vol.142, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000851
- A direct method for determining floor response spectra at the ITER Tokamak Complex vol.323, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2017.01.030
- Evaluating the safety risk of roadside features for rural two-lane roads using reliability analysis vol.93, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2016.04.021
- SH-wave propagation in a heterogeneous layer over an inhomogeneous isotropic elastic half-space vol.9, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.9.2.305
- Optimal design of tuned mass dampers subjected to continuous stationary critical excitation 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40435-017-0386-7