- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Ductility demand of partially self-centering structures under seismic loading: SDOF systems
- Hu, Xiaobin (School of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Wuhan University) ;
- Zhang, Yunfeng (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland)
- Received : 2011.03.23
- Accepted : 2012.07.30
- Published : 2013.04.25
In this paper, a numerical simulation study was conducted on the seismic behavior and ductility demand of single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) systems with partially self-centering hysteresis. Unlike fully self-centering systems, partially self-centering systems display noticeable residual displacement after unloading is completed. Such partially self-centering behavior has been observed in a number of recently researched self-centering structural systems with energy dissipation devices. It is thus of interest to examine the seismic performance such as ductility demand of partially self-centering systems. In this study, a modified flag-shaped hysteresis model with residual displacement is proposed to represent the hysteretic behavior of partially self-centering structural systems. A parametric study considering the effect of variations in post-yield stiffness ratio, energy dissipation coefficient, and residual displacement ratio on the displacement ductility demand of partially self-centering systems was conducted using a suite of 192 scaled ground motions. The results of this parametric study reveal that increasing the post-yield stiffness, energy dissipation coefficient or residual displacement ratio of the partially self-centering systems generally leads to reduced ductility demand, especially for systems with lower yield strength.
- Adam, C., Ibarra, L.F. and Krawinkler, H. (2004), "Evaluation of p-delta effects in non-deteriorating MDOF structures from equivalent SDOF systems", Proc. 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Cardone, D., Di Cesare, A., Ponzo, F.C. and Blonna, B. (2008), "Evaluation of behavior factor for flag-shaped hysteretic model", Proc. International Conference on Engineering Optimization, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Christopoulos, C., Filiatrault, A. and Folz, B. (2002a), "Seismic response of self-centering hysteretic SDOF systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 31, 1131-1150. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.152
- Christopoulos, C., Filiatrault, A., Folz, B. and Uang, C.M. (2002b), "Post-tensioned energy dissipating connections for moment-resisting steel frames", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 128(9), 1111-1120. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:9(1111)
- Christopoulos, C. and Pampanin, S. (2004), "Towards performance-based seismic design of MDOF structures with explicit consideration of residual deformations", ISET J. Earthq. Technol., 41(1), 53-73.
- Desroches, R. and Smith, B. (2004), "Shape memory alloys in seismic resistant design and retrofit: a critical review of their potential and limitations", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(3), 415-429.
- Dolce, M., Cardone, D. and Marnetto, R. (2000), "Implementation and testing of passive control devices based on shape memory alloys", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 29(7), 945-968. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200007)29:7<945::AID-EQE958>3.0.CO;2-#
- Dolce, M., Cardone, D., Ponzo, F.C. and Valente, C. (2005), "Shaking table tests on reinforced concrete frames without and with passive control systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 34(14), 1687-1717. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.501
- Kurama, Y., Sause, R., Pessiki, S. and Lu, L.W. (1999), "Lateral load behavior and seismic design of unbonded post-tensioned precast concrete walls", ACI Struct. J., 96(4), 622-632.
- Kam, W.Y., Pampanin, S., Palermo, A. and Carr, A.J. (2010), "Self-centering structural systems with combination of hysteretic and viscous energy dissipations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 39(10), 1083-1108.
- Kurama, Y.C. (2001), "Simplified seismic design approach for friction-damped unbonded post-tensioned precast concrete walls", ACI Struct. J., 98(5), 705-716.
- Mahin, S., Sakai, J. and Jeong, H. (2006), "Use of partially prestressed reinforced concrete columns to reduce post-earthquake residual displacements of bridges", Proc., 5th National Seismic Conf. on Bridges & Highways, San Francisco.
- Miller, D.J., Fahnestock, L.A. and Eartherton, M.R. (2011), "Self-centering buckling-restrained braces for advanced seismic performance", ASCE Struct. Congress, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Pampanin, S., Christopoulos, C. and Priestley, M.J.N. (2003), "Performance-based seismic response of frame structures including residual deformations. Part II: multi-degree of freedom systems", J. Earthq. Eng., 7(1), 119-147.
- Ricles, J.M., Sause, R., Garlock, M.M. and Zhao, C. (2001), "Posttensioned seismicresistant connections for steel frames", J. Struct. Eng., 127(2), 113-121. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:2(113)
- Rodgers, G.W., Chase, J.G., Mander, J.B., Dhakal, R.P. and Solberg, K.M. (2007), "DAD post-tensioned concrete connections with lead dampers: analytical models and experimental validation", Proc. 8th Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering (8PCEE).
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Miranda, E. (2006a), "Evaluation of residual drift demands in regular multi-storey frames for performance-based seismic assessment", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35(13), 1609-1629. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.593
- Ruiz-Garcia, J. and Miranda, E. (2006b), "Residual displacement ratios for assessment of existing structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35(3), 315-336. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.523
- Seo, C.Y. and Sause, R. (2005), "Ductility demands on self-centering systems under earthquake loading", ACI Struct. J., 102(2), 275-285.
- Somerville, P. and Collins, N. (2002), Ground motion time histories for the Van Nuys building, URS Corporation.
- Song, G., Ma, N. and Li, H.N. (2006), "Applications of shape memory alloys in civil structures", Eng. Struct., 28(9), 1266-1274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.12.010
- Tremblay, R., Christopoulos, C., Erochko, J. and Kim, H. (2010), "Experimental validations and design of self-centering energy dissipative (SCED) bracing systems", Proc. 9th U.S. National and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Toronto, Canada.
- Veletsos, A.S. and Newmark, N.M. (1960), "Effect of inelastic behavior on the response of simple systems to earthquake motions", Proceedings of the Second World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 2, 895-912.
- Wolski, M., Ricles, J.M. and Sause, R. (2009), "Experimental study of a self-centering beam-column connection with bottom flange friction device", J. Struct. Eng., 135(5), 479-448. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000006
- Zhu, S. and Zhang, Y. (2008), "Seismic analysis of concentrically braced frame systems with self-centering friction damping braces", ASCE J. Struct. Eng., 134(1), 121-131. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:1(121)
- Demands and distribution of hysteretic energy in moment resistant self-centering steel frames vol.20, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.5.1155