- Volume 4 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Modified complex mode superposition design response spectrum method and parameters optimization for linear seismic base-isolation structures
- Huang, Dong-Mei (School of Civil Engineering, Central South University) ;
- Ren, Wei-Xin (School of Civil Engineering, Central South University) ;
- Mao, Yun (Department of Civil Engineering, Hubei University of Technology)
- Received : 2012.03.12
- Accepted : 2012.07.11
- Published : 2013.04.25
Earthquake response calculation, parametric analysis and seismic parameter optimization of base-isolated structures are some critical issues for seismic design of base-isolated structures. To calculate the earthquake responses for such non-symmetric and non-classical damping linear systems and to implement the earthquake resistant design codes, a modified complex mode superposition design response spectrum method is put forward. Furthermore, to do parameter optimization for base-isolation structures, a graphical approach is proposed by analyzing the relationship between the base shear ratio of a seismic base-isolation floor to non-seismic base-isolation one and frequency ratio-damping ratio, as well as the relationship between the seismic base-isolation floor displacement and frequency ratio-damping ratio. In addition, the influences of mode number and site classification on the seismic base-isolation structure and corresponding optimum parameters are investigated. It is demonstrated that the modified complex mode superposition design response spectrum method is more precise and more convenient to engineering applications for utilizing the damping reduction factors and the design response spectrum, and the proposed graphical approach for parameter optimization of seismic base-isolation structures is compendious and feasible.
- Alessandro, B. and Ileana, C. (2004), "Optimal design of base-isolators in multi-storey buildings", Comput. Struct., 82(23-26), 2199-2209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.03.061
- Balling, R.J., Pister, K.S. and Ciampi, V. (1983), "Optimal seismic-resistant design of a planar steel frame", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 11(4), 541-556. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110407
- Buckle, I.G. and Mayes, R.L. (1990), "Seismic isolation: History, application, and performance-a world view", Earthq. Spectra, 6(2), 161-201. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585564
- Cenk, A. and Henri, G. (2004), "A parametric study of linear and non-linear passively damped seismic isolation systems for buildings", Eng. Struct., 26(4), 485-497. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.11.004
- Constantinou, M.C. and Tadjbakhsh, I.G. (1983), "Probabilistic optimum base isolation of structures", J. Struct. Div.- ASCE, 109(3), 676-689. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1983)109:3(676)
- Constantinou, M.C. and Tadjbakhsh, I.G. (1984), "The optimum design of a base isolation system with frictional elements", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 12(2), 203-214. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290120205
- Elishakaff, I. and Lyon, R.H. (1986), Random vibration-status recent developments, Elsvier.
- Eurocode. (2004), Design of structures for earthquake resistance, European committee for standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- Fan, F.G., Ahmadi, G., Mostaghel, N. and Tadjbakhsh, I.G. (1991), "Performance analysis of aseismic base-isolation systems for a multi-story building", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 10(3), 152-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/0267-7261(91)90029-Y
- Fawzy, I. and Bishop, R.E.D. (1976), "On the dynamics of linear no conservative systems", Proc. Roy. Soc, London, Ser.A, 325-352.
- GB50011 (2010), Code for seismic design of buildings, National Standard of the People's Republic of China.
- Gupta, A.K. and Jaw, J.W. (1986), "Response spectrum method for nonclassically damped systems", Nucl. Eng. Des., 91(2), 161-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(86)90203-7
- Heaton, T.H., Hall, J.F., Wald, D.J. and Halling, M.W. (1995), "Response of high rise and base-isolated buildings to a hypothetical Mw 7.0 blind trust earthquake", Sci., 267, 206-211. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.267.5195.206
- Hong, W.K. and Kim, H.C. (2004), "Performance of a multi-story structure with a resilient-friction base-isolation system", Comput. Struct., 82(27), 2271-2283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.06.002
- Horisberger, H.P. and Belanger, P.R. (1974), "Solution of the optimal output feedback problem by conjugate gradients", IEEE T. Automat. Contr., 19(4), 434-435. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.1974.1100585
- Igusa, T., Der Kiureghian, A. and Sackman, J.L. (1984), "Modal decomposition method for stationary response of non-classically damped systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 12(1), 121-136. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290120109
- Jangid, R.S. and Datta, T.K. (1995), "Performance of base isolation systems for asymmetric building subject to random excitation", Eng. Struct., 17(6), 443-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(95)00054-B
- Kim, H.S. and Roschke, P.N. (2007), "GA-fuzzy control of smart base isolated benchmark building using supervisory control technique", Adv. Eng. Softw., 38(7), 453-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2006.10.004
- Komodromos, P. (2000), Seismic isolation for earthquake resistant structures, Southampton: WIT Press.
- Lin, Y.Y. and Chang, K.C. (2003), "Study on damping reduction factor for buildings under earthquake ground motions", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 129(2), 206-214. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:2(206)
- Matsagar, V.A. and Jangid, R.S. (2004), "Influence of isolator characteristics on the response of base-isolated structures", Eng. Struct., 26(12), 1735-1749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.06.011
- Mahendra, P.S. and Barbara, E.M. (1986), "Mode acceleration-based response spectrum approach for nonclassically damped structures", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 5(4), 226-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/0267-7261(86)90008-4
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of seismic isolated structures-from theory to practice, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Skinner, R.I., Robinson, W.H. and McVerry, G.H. (1993), An introduction to seismic isolation, Chichester: Wiley.
- Takewaki, I. (2005), "Uncertain-parameter sensitivity of earthquake input energy to base-isolated structure", Struct. Eng. Mech., 20(3), 347-362. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.20.3.347
- Takewaki, I. (2008), "Robustness of base-isolated high-rise buildings under code-specified ground motions", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 17(2), 257-271. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.350
- Takewaki, I. and Fujita, K. (2009), "Earthquake input energy to tall and base-isolated buildings in time and frequency dual domains", J. Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 18(6), 589-606. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.497
- Yang, J.N., Sarkani, S. and Long, F.X. (1990), "A response spectrum approach for seismic analysis of nonclassically damped structures", Eng. Struct., 12, 173-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(90)90004-C
- Yoshi, S., Shin'ichiro, T., Hiroaki, M. and Noriaki, S. (1999), "An optimal design of the base-isolated device by using genetic algorithm-a proposal of a method and some examples of its application", Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Aid Optimal Design of Structures, Computational Mechanics Publications. Orlando, Florida, USA, 225-234.
- Zhou, X.Y. and Han, M. (1996), "Optimum design of reuben-friction-slide base isolation system for low cost buildings", Proc. 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Acapulco Mexico, 24-29.
- Zhou, X.Y., Yu, R.F. and Dong, L. (2004), "The complex-complete-qua-draft- combination (CCQC) method for seismic responses of non-classically damped linear MDOF system", Proc. 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 848, Vancouver, Canada, 1-6.
- Completeness Verification of Complex Response Spectrum Method for Underdamped and Overdamped Multiple-Support Systems Regarding the Decoupled Damping as Mathematical Parameter without Physical Meaning vol.20, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1138165
- Algorithm design of an hybrid system embedding influence of soil for dynamic vibration control vol.74, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2015.03.011
- An Efficient Approach for Seismic Analysis of Multi-Support Structures Equipped with Coupled Dampers using Spectral Moments Instead of Cross-Correlation Coefficients vol.21, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1185053