- Volume 4 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Updating of FE models of an instrumented G+9 RC building using measured data from strong motion and ambient vibration survey
- Singh, J.P. (Technical Specialist, Petrofac Intl. Ltd.) ;
- Agarwal, Pankaj (Faculty of Engineering, Dept. of Earthquake Eng.) ;
- Kumar, Ashok (Faculty of Engineering, Dept. of Earthquake Eng.) ;
- Thakkar, S.K. (Faculty of Engineering, Dept. of Earthquake Eng.)
- Received : 2011.02.21
- Accepted : 2012.09.02
- Published : 2013.03.25
A number of structural and modal parameters are derived from the strong motion records of an instrumented G + 9 storeyed RC building during Bhuj earthquake, 26 Jan. 2001 in India. Some of the extracted parameters are peak floor accelerations, storey drift and modal characteristics. Modal parameters of the building are also compared with the values obtained from ambient vibration survey of the instrumented building after the occurrence of earthquake. These parameters are further used for calibrating the accuracy of fixed-base Finite Element (FE) models considering structural and non-structural elements. Some conclusions are drawn based on theoretical and experimental results obtained from strong motion records and time history analysis of FE models. An important outcome of the study is that strong motion peak acceleration profile in two horizontal directions is close to FE model in which masonry infill walls are modeled.
instrumentation;strong motion record;ambient vibration testing;fixed base FE models;dynamic time history analysis
- ANSYS Inc. (2006), "General finite element analysis program", Version 10.0 ANSYS, Inc. Canonsburg, Pa.
- Brincker, R., Zhang, L. and Andersen, P. (2000), "Modal identification from ambient responses using frequency domain decomposition", Proc. of the 18th International Modal Analysis conference (IMAC), San Antonio, Texas.
- EERI (2002), "Bhuj, India earthquake of January 26, 2001 reconnaissance report", Earthq. Spectra, 18.
- Garevski, M., Hristovski, V., Talaganov, K. and Stojmanovska, M. (2004), "Experimental investigations of 1/3-Scale R/C Frame with infill walls building structures", 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 772.
- Gupta, S., Penzien, J., Lin, T.W. and Yeh, C.S. (1982), "Three dimensional hybrid modeling of soilstructure interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 10(1), 69-87. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290100106
- Humar, J.L. and Rahgozar, M.A. (2000), "Application of uniform hazard spectra in seismic design of multistorey buildings", Can. J. Civil Eng., 27(3), 563-580. https://doi.org/10.1139/l99-045
- IS: 456 - 2000 (2000), Plain and reinforced concrete: Code of practice, Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 1893 - 2002 (2002), Indian standard criteria for earthquake resistant design of structures, Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 13920 - 1993 (1993), Ductile detailing in reinforced concrete structures subjected to seismic forces, Bureau of Indian Standards, Manak Bhawan, 9 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi, India.
- Kojic, S., Trifunac, M.D. and Anderson, J.C. (1984), "A post earthquake response analysis of the imperial county services building", Report No. 84-02, Dept. of Civil Engrg., Univ. of Southern California.
- Lu, X., Li, P., Chen, B. and Chen, Y. (2005), "Computer simulation of the dynamic layered soil-pilestructure interaction system", Can. Geotech. J., 42(3), 742-751. https://doi.org/10.1139/t05-016
- Ottaviani, M. (1975), "Three-dimensional finite element analysis of vertically loaded pile groups", Geotech., 25(2), 159-174. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.19188.8.131.52
- Singh, J.P. (2008), Seismic response of an instrumented building including soil-structure interaction, Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Earthquake Engineering, IIT Roorkee, India.
- Structural Vibration Solution ApS (2004), ARTeMIS Extractor, Release 3.43, User's Manual, Denmark.
- Takewaki, I. (2005), "Frequency-domain analysis of earthquake input energy to structure-pile systems", Eng. Struct., 27(4), 549-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.11.014
- Ventura, C.E. and Horyna, T. (2000), "Measured and calculated modal characteristics of HCT building", Proc. Of the XVIII IMAC, San Antonio, Texas.
- Identification of Modal Parameters of a Multistoried RC Building Using Ambient Vibration and Strong Vibration Records of Bhuj Earthquake, 2001 vol.18, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2013.856823
- Ambient vibration testing of existing buildings: Experimental, numerical and code provisions vol.10, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814018772718