- Volume 4 Issue 3
This research was prompted by the paucity of specific code provisions regarding the design of short columns for shear. The purpose of this paper was to investigate whether the use of the normal shear design procedure of various codes may or may not be applied to reliably calculate the shear strength of short columns. Provisions of the codes American ACI 318M-08, Canadian CSA A23.3-04, Japanese AIJ Guidelines, New Zealand NZS 3101, European EN 1998 (EC8) parts 1 and 3, combined with EN 1992-1-1 (EC2), and draft fib Model Code 2010, as well as a strut-and-tie model are applied on short columns tested under cyclic loading that failed in shear. Actual shear resistances are compared to predictions, and the resulting shortcomings of the codes are identified. EN1998-3 appears to be the only code among those considered that may be reliably applied to estimate the shear resistance of short columns. Further, the proposed strut-and tie model can be a useful tool for the detailed design and assessment of short columns.
short column;shear resistance;codes;safety;confinement;strut-and-tie
- ACI 318M-08 (2008), "Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary", Am. Concrete Inst., Farmington Hills, Michigan, 473.
- Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ) (1994), "Structural design guidelines for reinforced concrete buildings".
- Bentz, E.C. (2011), "Comparison of draft new model code shear provisions to experimental results", fib Symposium, Prague, Session 1-3: New Model Code, 135-138.
- Bentz, E.C., Vecchio, F.J. and Collins, M.P. (2006), "The simplified MCFT for calculating the shear strength of reinforced concrete elements", ACI Strut. J., 103(4), 614-624.
- Building Research Institute (B.R.I.) (1978a), "A list of experimental results on deformation ability of reinforced concrete columns under large deflection (No.2)", Japan, 115.
- Building Research Institute (B.R.I.) (1978b), "A list of experimental results on deformation ability of reinforced concrete columns under large deflection (No.3)", Japan, 182.
- Collins, M.P., Bentz, E.C., Sherwood, E.G. and Liping, X. (2008), "An adequate theory for the shear strength of reinforced concrete structures", Mag. Concrete Res., 60(9), 635-650. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2008.60.9.635
- CEB (1993), "CEB-FIP Model code 1990", Commite Euro-Internationale du Beton (CEB), Thomas Thelford, London, UK.
- CSA Committee A23.3 (2004), "Design of concrete structures", Canadian Standards Association,Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, 214.
- Eleftheriadou, A.K. and Karabinis, A.I. (2012), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of buildings based on damage data after a near field earthquake (7 September 1999 Athens-Greece)", Earthq. Struct., 3(2),117-140. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.2.117
- European Committee for Standardization, CEN (2004), "Eurocode 2: Design of concrete structures. Part 1: General rules and rules for buildings", Brussels, EN 1992-1, 226.
- European Committee for Standardization, CEN (2004), "Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance. Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings", Brussels, EN 1998-1.
- European Committee for Standardization, CEN (2005), "Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance. Part 3: Assessment and retrofitting of buildings", Brussels, EN 1998-3.
- Galal, K., Arafa, A. and Ghobarah, A. (2005), "Retrofit of RC square short columns", Eng. Strut., 27(5), 801-813. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.01.003
- Hong, S.G., Hong, N.K. and Chun, S.C. (2011), "Failure mechanism based strut-and-tie models", fib Symposium, Prague, Session 1-5: New Model Code.
- Kim, W. and Jeong, J. (2011), "Decoupling of arch action in shear-critical reinforced concrete beams", ACI Strut. J., 108(4), 395-404.
- Kotsovos, M. (2007), "Concepts underlying reinforced concrete design: Time for reappraisal", ACI Struct. J., 104(6), 675-684.
- Kotsovos, M. (2008), "Ahthor's closure", ACI Struct. J., 105(5), 646-647.
- Kowalsky, M.J. and Priestley, N.M.J. (2000), "Improved analytical model for shear strength of circular reinforced concrete columns in seismic regions" ACI Struct. J., 97(3), 388-396.
- Minami, K. and Wakabayashi, M. (1981), "Rational analysis of shear in reinforced concrete columns", Final report, IABSE Colloquium on Advanced Mechanics of reinforced concrete, Delft, 603-614.
- Minami, K. and Wakabayashi, M. (1977), "Seismic resistance of reinforced concrete beam-and-column assemblages with emphasis on shear failure of column", Proceedings of the 6th WCEE, New Delhi, VIII, 3101-3106.
- Model Code 1990 (1990), First complete draft, fib Bulletins 55, 56, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Moretti, M.L. (2008), "Discussion concerning No.104-S63", ACI Struct. J., 105(5), 645-646.
- Moretti, M.L. and Tassios, T.P. (2007), "Behaviour of short columns subjected to cyclic shear displacements: Experimental results", Eng. Struct., 29(8), 2018-2029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.11.001
- Moretti, M.L. and Tassios, T.P. (2006), "Behavior and ductility of reinforced concrete short columns using global truss model", ACI Struct. J., 103(3), 319-327.
- NCHRP Report 549 (2005), "Simplified shear design of structural concrete members", Transport. Res. Board Nat. Academies, Washington, 54.
- NZS-3101 (2006), "New Zealand concrete structures standard", The Colour Guy.
- Papanikolaou, K., Tegos, J. and Penelis, G. (1992), "A comparative study on the seismic performance of conventionally and non-conventionally reinforced short members", Eur. Earth. Eng., 2, 45-53.
- Paulay, T. (1971), "Coupling beams of reinforced concrete shear walls", J. Struct. Div.-ASCE, 97(3), 843-862.
- Priestley, N.M.J., Verma, R. and Xiao, Y. (1994), "Seismic shear strength of reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Div.-ASCE, 120(8), 2310-2329. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:8(2310)
- Shohara, R. and Kato, B. (1981), "Ultimate strength of reinforced concrete members under combined loading", Final report, IABSE Colloquium on Advanced Mechanics of reinforced concrete, Delft, 701-716.
- Sullivan, T.J. (2010), "Capacity design considerations for RC frame-wall structures", Earthq. Struct., 1(4), 391-410. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.4.391
- Tassios, T.P., Moretti, M. and Bezas, A. (1996), "On the behavior and ductility of reinforced concrete coupling beams of shear walls", ACI Struct. J., 93(6), 711-720.
- Tegos, I. (1984), "Contribution to the study and improvement of earthquake resistant mechanical properties of low slenderness structural elements", PhD thesis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 1985 (in Greek).
- Tegos, I. and Penelis, G. (1988), "Seismic resistance of short columns and coupling beams reinforced with inclined bars", ACI Struct. J., 85(10), 82-88.
- Teran-Gilmore, A., Sanchez-Badillo, A. and Espinosa-Johnson, M. (2010), "Performance-based seismic design of reinforced concrete ductile buildings subjected to large energy demands", Earthq. Struct., 1(1), 61-91.
- Umehara, H. and Jirsa, J.O. (1982), "Shear strength and deterioration of short reinforced concrete columns under cyclic deformations", PMFSEL Report No.82-3, University of Austin, Texas, 256.
- Vecchio, F.J. and Collins, M.P. (1986), "The modified compression field theory for reinforced concrete elements subjected to shear", ACI Struct. J., 83(2), 219-231.
- Watanabe, F. and Kabeyasawa, T. (1999), "Shear strength of RC members with high strength concrete", ACI SP-176, High Strength concrete in seismic regions, 397-404.
- Yamada, M. and Furui S. (1968), "Shear resistance and explosive cleavage failure of reinforced concrete members subjected to axial load", Final Report, Proceedings of 8th Int. Congress IABSE, New York, 1091-1102.
- Constitutive models of concrete structures subjected to seismic shear vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.627