- Volume 4 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Damping identification procedure for linear systems: mixed numerical-experimental approach
- El-Anwar, Hazem Hossam (Dept. of Structural Engineering, Cairo University) ;
- Serror, Mohammed Hassanien (Dept. of Structural Engineering, Cairo University) ;
- Sayed, Hesham Sobhy (Dept. of Structural Engineering, Cairo University)
- Received : 2012.01.12
- Accepted : 2012.03.29
- Published : 2013.02.25
In recent decades, it has been realized that increasing the lateral stiffness of structure subjected to lateral loads is not the only parameter enhancing safety or reducing damage. Factors such as ductility and damping govern the structural response due to lateral loads. Despite the significant contribution of damping in resisting lateral loads, especially at resonance, there is no accurate mathematical representation for it. The main objective of this study is to develop a damping identification procedure for linear systems based on a mixed numerical-experimental approach, assuming viscous damping. The proposed procedure has been applied to a laboratory experiment associated with a numerical model, where a hollow rectangular steel cantilever column, having three lumped masses, has been fixed on a shaking table subjected to different exciting waves. The modal damping ratio has been identified; in addition, the effect of adding filling material to the hollow specimen has been studied in relation to damping enhancement. The results have revealed that the numerically computed response based on the identified damping is in a good fitting with the measured response. Moreover, the filling material has a significant effect in increasing the modal damping.
damping identification;linear system;shaking table;steel tube;filling material
- Adams, D. (2007), "Health monitoring of structural materials and components: Methods with applications", John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Curadelli, R.O., Riera, J.D., Ambrosini, D. and Amani, M.G. (2008), "Damage detection by means of structural damping identification", Eng. Struct., 30(12), 3497-3504. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.05.024
- Gawronski, W.K. (2004), "Advanced structural dynamics and active control of structures", Springer, Berlin.
- George, A.P. and Dimitri, E.B. (2009), "On a modal damping identification model for non-classically damped linear building structures subjected to earthquakes", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 29(3), 583-589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2008.10.005
- Hann, C.E., Singh-Levett, I., Deam, B.L., Mander, J.B. and Chase, J.G. (2009), "Real-time system identification of a nonlinear four-story steel frame structure-Application to structural health monitoring", IEEE Sens. J., 9(11), 1339-1346. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2009.2022434
- Inman, D. (1989), "Vibration: With control, measurement, and stability", Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Karunarathne, N. (2001-2002), "Damping of frame structures: An educational shake table test", Student Research Accomplishments, Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER).
- Kinemetrics (2011), http://www.kinemetrics.com/p-163-Home.aspx.
- Marco, M., Thomas, G., Joël, C. and Alain, S. (2009), "Numerical-experimental identification of the elastic and damping properties in composite plates", Compos. Struct., 90(2),180-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2009.03.001
- Moustafa, A. (2011), "Damage-based design earthquake loads for single-degree-of-freedom inelastic structures", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 137(3), 456-467. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000074
- MTS. (2011), http://www.mts.com/.
- Nilson, B., Paulo, R.N. and Renato, B. (2004), "Experimental identification of damping", Int. J. Solids Struct., 41(13), 3585-3594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2004.02.006
- PEER. (2012), Kobe record: http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/data/ath/KOBE/KJM-UP.AT2, Loma Prieta record: http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/data/ath/SANFRAN/GGP-UP.AT2.
- Rajab, M. and Okabayashi, T. (2011), "System identification of highway bridges from ambient vibration using subspace stochastic realization theories", Earthq. Struct., 2(2), 189-206. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.2.189
- Sayed, H.S. (1998), "Modal damping identification for multi degrees of freedom dynamic systems", J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 45, 345-359.
- Sayed, H.S. (2002), "Frequency domain modal damping identification for continuous systems: formulation and applications", Civil Eng. Res. Mag., 24.
- Takewaki, I. and Nakamura, M. (2000), "Stiffness-damping simultaneous identification using limited earthquake records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 29(8), 1219-1238. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200008)29:8<1219::AID-EQE968>3.0.CO;2-X
- Takewaki, I. (2009), "Building control with passive dampers: Optimal performance-based design for earthquakes", John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 320.
- Takewaki, I., Nakamura, M. and Yoshitomi, S. (2011), "System identification for structural health monitoring", WIT Press, 272.
- Tu, Y. and Wang, G. (2010), "Damping parameter identification and study of metal foam filled steel tube", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 22(4), 397-402. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000036
- Uhl, T. (2007), "The inverse identification problem and its technical application", Arch. Appl. Mech., 77(5), 325-337. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00419-006-0086-9