- Volume 11 Issue 1
There is an abundance of research on the strengthening of reinforced concrete (RC) structural elements such as beams, columns and slabs with fibre reinforced polymer (FRP) composites. Less research by comparison has been conducted on the strengthening of RC beam-column connections and the majority of such research has been predominantly experimental to date. Few existing experimental studies have reported extensive instrumentation of test specimens which in turn makes understanding the behavior of the connections and especially the contributions made by the FRP difficult to ascertain. In addition, there has been even more limited research on the analytical and numerical modelling of FRP-strengthened connections. In this paper, detailed descriptions of key strategies to model FRP-strengthened RC connections with finite elements are provided. An extensively instrumented and comprehensively documented set of experiments on FRP-strengthened connections is firstly presented and finite element models are then constructed using ANSYS. The study shows that the finite element approach is able to capture the overall behavior of the test specimens including the failure mode as well as the behavior of the FRP which will most importantly lead to a detailed understanding of the FRP and the future development of rational analytical models. The finite element models are, however, unable to model the stiffness of the connections with accuracy in the ultimate load range of response.
concrete;connections;fibre reinforced polymers;finite elements;joints;strengthening
- ACI (2007), Report on fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) reinforcement for concrete structures, ACI 440R-07, American Concrete Institute (ACI) Committee 440, Michigan, U.S.A.
- ANSYS (2007), Release 11.0 documentation for ANSYS, ANSYS Inc., USA.
- Antonopoulos, C.P. and Triantafillou, C. (2003), "Experimental investigation of FRP-strengthened RC beam-column joints", J. Compos. Constr.-ASCE, 7(1), 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2003)7:1(39)
- AS3600 (2001), Concrete structures, Standards Australia, Homebush, Australia.
- Chen, J.F. and Teng, J.G. (2001), "Anchorage strength models for FRP and steel plates bonded to concrete", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 125(7), 784-791.
- Chen, J.F. and Teng, J.G. (2003), "Shear capacity of FRP-strengthened RC beams: FRP rupture", J. Struct. Eng., 129(5), 615-625. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:5(615)
- Desayi, P. and Krishnan, S. (1964), "Equation for the stress-strain curve of concrete", ACI J., 61(3), 345-350.
- El-Amoury, T. and Ghobarah, A. (2002), "Seismic rehabilitation of beam-column joint using GFRP sheets", Eng. Struct., 24(11), 1397-1407. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00081-0
- Engindeniz, M., Kahn, L.F. and Zureick, A.H. (2005), "Repair and strengthening of reinforced concrete beam-column joints: state of the art", ACI Struct. J., 102(2), 1-14.
- FIB (2000), Bond of reinforcement in concrete, Bulletin 10, International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib), Luasanne, Switzerland.
- Gilbert, R.I. and Warner, R.F. (1977), Nonlinear analysis of reinforced concrete slabs with tension stiffening, UNICIV Report No. R-167, School of Civil Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Granata, P.J. and Parvin, A. (2001), "An experimental study on Kevlar strengthening of beam-column connections", Compos. Part B-Eng., 53(2), 163-171.
- Hollaway, L.C. and Teng, J.G. (2008), Strengthening and rehabilitation of civil infrastructures using fibrereinforced polymer (FRP) composites, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
- Kachlakev, D., Miller, T., Yim, S. and Potisuk, T. (2001), Finite element modelling of reinforced concrete structures strengthened with FRP laminates, Oregon Department of Transportation Research Group, Salem and Federal Highway Administration, Washington, USA.
- Mahini, S.S. and Ronagh, H.R. (2011a), "Web-bonded FRPs for relocation of plastic hinges away from the column face in exterior RC joints", Compos. Struct., 93(10), 2460-2472. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2011.04.002
- Mahini, S.S. and Ronagh, H.R. (2011b), "Numerical modelling for monitoring the hysteretic behaviour of CFRP-retrofitted RC exterior beam-column joints", Struct. Eng. Mech., 38(1), 27-37. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.38.1.027
- Mostofinejad, D. and Taleitaba, S.B. (2006), "Finite element modelling of RC connections strengthened with FRP laminates", Iran. J. Sci. Tech. Trans. B Eng., 30(B1), 21-30.
- Parvin, A. and Granata, P. (2000), "Investigation on the effects of fiber composites at concrete joints", Compos. Part B-Eng., 31(6-7), 499-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-8368(99)00046-3
- Parvin, A. and Wu, S. (2004), "Evaluation of wrap thickness on CFRP-strengthened concrete T-joints", Proceedings, Second International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, CICE 2004, Adelaide, Australia, 643-646.
- Shrestha, R. (2009), Behaviour of RC beam-column connections retrofitted with FRP strips, School and Civil and Environmental Engineering, Faculty and Engineering and Information Technology, University of Technology Sydney, Australia.
- Shrestha, R., Smith, S.T. and Samali, B. (2009), "Strengthening of RC beam-column connections with FRP strips", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Structures and Buildings, Special Issue on Advanced Composites (Part II), 162(SB5), 323-334.
- Shrestha, R., Smith, S.T. and Samali, B. (2011), "The effectiveness of FRP strips in repairing moderately and severely damaged RC beam-column connections", Mag. Concrete Res., 63(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.2011.63.1.1
- Smith, S.T. and Shrestha, R. (2006), "A review of FRP-strengthened RC beam-column connections", Proceedings, Third International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, CICE 2006, Miami, USA, 661-664.
- Teng, J.G., Chen, J.F., Smith, S.T. and Lam, L. (2003), "Behaviour and strength of FRP-strengthened RC structures: A state-of-the-art review", Proc. Inst. Civil Eng. Struct. Build., 156(1), 51-62. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2003.156.1.51
- Wang, L.M. and Wu, Y.F. (2008), "Effect of corner radius on the performance of CFRP-confined square concrete columns: Test", Eng. Struct., 30(2), 493-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.04.016
- Interaction of internal forces of interior beam-column joints of reinforced concrete frames under seismic action vol.52, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.2.427
- On the FE Modeling of FRP-Retrofitted Beam–Column Subassemblies vol.8, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-013-0047-y
- Seismic behavior evaluation of exterior beam-column joints with headed or hooked bars using nonlinear finite element analysis vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.861
- Experimental and numerical study of reinforced concrete interior wide beam-column joints subjected to lateral load pp.1208-6029, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2018-0049
Supported by : Australian Research Council (ARC)