- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The influence of model surface roughness on wind loads of the RC chimney by comparing the full-scale measurements and wind tunnel simulations
- Chen, Chern-Hwa (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Kaohsiung) ;
- Chang, Cheng-Hsin (Department of Civil Engineering, Tamkang University) ;
- Lin, Yuh-Yi (Department of Civil Engineering, Tamkang University)
- Received : 2009.08.11
- Accepted : 2011.11.23
- Published : 2013.02.25
A wind tunnel test of a scaled-down model and field measurement were effective methods for elucidating the aerodynamic behavior of a chimney under a wind load. Therefore, the relationship between the results of the wind tunnel test and the field measurement had to be determined. Accordingly, the set-up and testing method in the wind tunnel had to be modified from the field measurement to simulate the real behavior of a chimney under the wind flow with a larger Reynolds number. It enabled the results of the wind tunnel tests to be correlated with the field measurement. The model surface roughness and different turbulence intensity flows were added to the test. The simulated results of the wind tunnel test agreed with the full-scale measurements in the mean surface pressure distribution behavior.
- Achenbach, E. (1970), "Influence of surface roughness on the cross-flow around a circular cylinder", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod.., 64(2), 321-335.
- Arunachalam, S., Govindaraju, S.P., Lakshmanan, N. and Appa Rao, T.V.S.R. (2001), "Across-wind aerodynamic parameters of tall chimneys with circular," Eng. Struct., 23, 502-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00060-2
- Batham, J.P. (1973), "Pressure distributions on circular cylinders at critical Reynolds number", J. Fluid Mech., 57(2), 209-228. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112073001114
- Chen, C.H., Huang, C.S. and Huang, C.T. (2001), "Modal identification of chimney using subspace approach", J. Struct. Eng., Taipei, Taiwan, 16(4), 99-117. (in Chinese)
- Chen, C.H. (2004), "Seismic assessment of a retrofitted chimney by FEM analysis and field testing", Int. J. Struct. Stability Dynam., 4(3), 337-359. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219455404001264
- Chen, C.H. (2005), "Simulation of high Reynolds number of wind tunnel test of RC chimney", Proceedings of the 6thAsia-Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, APCWE6, September 2-4, Seoul, Korea.
- Cheng, C.M. and Kareem, A. (1992), "Across wind response of reinforced concrete chimneys", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 41-44, 2141-2152.
- Ciesielski, R., Flaga, A. and Kawecki, J. (1996), "Aerodynamic effects on a non-typical steel chimney 120 m high", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 65(1-3), 77-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00024-X
- Ciesielski, R. and Oruba, R. (1996), "Low-speed wind gusts used for experimental evaluation of eigenfrequencies of tall reinforced concrete chimneys", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 65(1-3), 97-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00026-3
- D'Asdia, P. and Noe, S. (1998), "Vortex induced vibration of reinforced concrete chimneys: in situ experimentation and numerical previsions", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74-76, 765-776. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00069-5
- Fischer, O. (1993), "Some comments to wind induced vibrations of slender structures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 48(2-3), 135-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(93)90132-8
- Galemann, T. and Ruscheweyh, H. (1992), "Measurements of wind induced vibrations of a full-scale steel chimney", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 41-44, 241-252.
- Kaweckia, J. and Żurański, J.A. (2007), "Cross-wind vibrations of steel chimneys - A new case history", J. Wind Eng. and Ind. Aerod., 95(9-11), 1166-1175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.02.001
- Kessler, H. (1989), "Wind forces and strains of reinforced concrete chimneys", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 32, 181-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(89)90028-7
- Ruscheweyh, H. and Galemann, T. (1996), "Full-scale measurements of wind-induced oscillations of chimneys", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 65(1-3), 55-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00022-6
- Ruscheweyh, H., Langer, W. and Verwiebe, C. (1998), "Long-term full-scale measurements of wind-induced vibrations of steel stacks", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74-76, 777-783. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00070-1
- Sanada, S., Suzuki, M. and Matsumoto, H. (1992), "Full-scale measurements of wind force acting on a 200m concrete chimney, and chimney' response", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 41-44, 2165-2176.
- Uematsu Y. and Yamada M. (1995), "Effect of aspect ratio and surface roughness on the time-averaged aerodynamic forces on cantilevered circular cylinders at high Reynolds number", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 301-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00049-J
- Van Koten, H. and Pritchard, B.N. (1986) "Predicting crosswind movements of chimneys", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 23, 477-485. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(86)90064-4
- Waldeck, J.L. (1992), "The measured and predicted response of a 300 m concrete chimney", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 41-44, 229-240.
- The slenderness effect on wind response of industrial reinforced concrete chimneys vol.18, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2014.18.3.281
- Full-scale measurements of wind effects and modal parameter identification of Yingxian wooden tower vol.17, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.17.6.609