- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Field studies of wind induced internal pressure in a warehouse with a dominant opening
- Guha, T.K. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Auckland) ;
- Sharma, R.N. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Auckland) ;
- Richards, P.J. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Auckland)
- Received : 2011.09.24
- Accepted : 2012.03.12
- Published : 2013.01.25
A field study of wind-induced internal pressures in a flexible and porous industrial warehouse with a single dominant opening, of various sizes for a range of moderate wind speeds and directions, is reported in this paper. Comparatively weak resonance of internal pressure for oblique windward opening situations, and hardly discernible at other wind directions, is attributed to the inherent leakage and flexibility in the envelope of the building in addition to the moderate wind speeds encountered during the tests. The measured internal pressures agree well with the theoretical predictions obtained by numerically simulating the analytical model of internal pressure for a porous and flexible building with a dominant opening. Ratios of the RMS and peak internal to opening external pressures obtained in the study are presented in a non-dimensional format along with other published full scale measurements and compared with the non-dimensional design equation proposed in recent literature.
- Chaplin, G.C., Randall, J.R. and Baker, C.J. (2000), "The turbulent ventilation of a single opening enclosure", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 85(2), 145-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00136-1
- Fahrtash, M. and Liu, H. (1990), "Internal pressure of low-rise building - field measurements", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 36(2), 1191-1200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(90)90116-T
- Ginger, J.D., Mehta, K.C. and Yeatts, B.B. (1997), "Internal pressures in a low-rise full-scale building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 72, 163-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00241-9
- Ginger, J.D., Holmes, J.D. and Kopp, G.A. (2008), "Effect of building volume and opening size on fluctuating internal pressure", Wind Struct., 11(5), 361-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2008.11.5.361
- Ginger, J.D., Holmes, J.D. and Kim, P.Y. (2010), "Variation of internal pressure with varying sizes of dominant openings and volumes", J. Struct. Eng.- ASCE, 136(10), 1319-1326. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000225
- Guha, T. K., Sharma, R.N. and Richards, P.J. (2011), "On the internal pressure dynamics of a leaky and f lexible building with a dominant opening", Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Amsterdam, Holland.
- Irwin, H.P.A.H., Cooper, K.R. and Girard, R. (1979), "Correction of distortion effects caused by tubing systems in measurements of fluctuating pressures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 5(1-2), 93-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(79)90026-6
- Holmes, J.D. (1979), "Mean and fluctuating internal pressure induced by wind", Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Wind Engineering, Colorado State University, USA.
- Holmes, J.D. and Ginger, J.D. (2009), "Codification of internal pressures for building design", Proceedings of the 7th Asia-Pacific Conference on Wind Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Kwok, K.C.S. and Hitchcock, P.A. (2009), "Characterisation of and wind induced-induced pressures in a compartmentalised building during a typhoon", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 6, 30-41.
- Liu, H. and Saathoff, P.J. (1982), "Internal pressure and building safety", J. Struct. Div., 108(10), 2223-2234.
- Oh, H.J., Kopp, G.A. and Inculet, D.R. (2007), "The UWO contribution to the NIST aerodynamic database for wind loads on low buildings: Part 3. Internal pressures", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(8), 755-779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.01.007
- Rowan, W. and Davies, I. (1993), Review of internal pressures on low-rise buildings, Report to Canadian Sheet Steel Institute, RWDI Report 93-270.
- Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand (2002), Australian/New Zealand Standard Structural design actions, Part2: Wind Actions - AS/NZS 1170.2:2002, Standards Australia International Ltd., Sydney, AS and Standards New Zealand, Wellington, NZ.
- Sharma, R.N. and Richards, P.J. (1997), "Computational modelling of the transient response of building internal pressure to a sudden opening", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 72, 149-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00244-4
- Sharma, R.N. and Richards, P.J. (2003), "The influence of Helmholtz resonance on internal pressures in a low-rise building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(6), 807-828. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(03)00005-9
- Vickery, B.J. and Bloxham, C. (1992), "Internal pressure dynamics with a dominant opening", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 41(1-3), 193-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90409-4
- Vickery, B.J. (1994), "Internal pressures and interactions with the building envelope", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 53(1-2), 125-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)90022-1