- Volume 45 Issue 2
Current methods of analysis of trusses depend on matrix formulations based on equilibrium equations which are in fact derived from energy principles, and compatibility conditions. Recently it has been shown that the minimum energy principle, by itself, in its pure and unmodified form, can well be exploited to analyze structures when coupled with an optimization algorithm, specifically with a meta-heuristic algorithm. The resulting technique that can be called Total Potential Optimization using Meta-heuristic Algorithms (TPO/MA) has already been applied to analyses of linear and nonlinear plane trusses successfully as coupled with simulated annealing and local search algorithms. In this study the technique is applied to both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional trusses emphasizing robustness, reliability and accuracy. The trials have shown that the technique is robust in two senses: all runs result in answers, and all answers are acceptable as to the reliability and accuracy within the prescribed limits. It has also been shown that Harmony Search presents itself as an appropriate algorithm for the purpose.
meta-heuristics;harmony search;total potential optimization method;truss;nonlinearity;robustness
- Bekdaş, G. and Nigdeli, S.M. (2011), "Estimating optimum parameters of tuned mass dampers using harmony search", Engineering Structures, 33, 2716-2723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.05.024
- Buchholt, H.A. (1985), An Introduction to Cable Roof Structures, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York.
- Degertekin, S.O. (2008), "Optimum design of steel frames using harmony search algorithm", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 36(4), 393-401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-007-0177-4
- Das, S., Mukhopadhyay, A., Roy, A., Abraham, A. and Panigrahi, B.K. (2011), "Exploratory Power of the Harmony Search Algorithm: Analysis and Improvements for Global Numerical Optimization", IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics Part B: Cybernetics, 41(1), 89-106. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2010.2046035
- Erdal, F. and Saka, M.P. (2009), "Harmony search based algorithm for the optimum design of grillage systems to LRFD-AISC", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 38, 25-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-008-0263-2
- Geem, Z.W., Kim, J.H. and Loganathan, G.V. (2001), "A new heuristic optimization algorithm: harmony search". Simulation, 76, 60-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/003754970107600201
- Geem, Z.W. and Sim, K-B. (2010), "Parameter-Setting-Free Harmony Search Algorithm", Applied Mathematics and Computation, 217(8), 3881-3889. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2010.09.049
- Greco, M., Menin, R.C.G., Ferreira, I.P. and Barros, F.B. (2012), "Comparison between two geometrical nonlinear methods for truss analyses", Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 41(6), 735-750. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.41.6.735
- Hasancebi, O., Erdal, F. and Saka, M.P. (2010), "Adaptive Harmony Search Method for Structural Optimization", ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 136(4), 419-431. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000128
- Lee, K.S. and Geem, Z.W. (2004), "A new structural optimization method based on the harmony search algorithm", Computers and Structures, 82, 781-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.01.002
- Lee, K.S. and Geem, Z.W. (2005), "A new meta-heuristic algorithm for continuous engineering optimization: Harmony search theory and practice", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 194, 3902-3933. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2004.09.007
- Lee, K.S., Geem, Z.W., Lee, S.H. and Bae, K.W. (2005), "The harmony search heuristic algorithm for discrete structural optimization", Engineering Optimization, 37, 663-684. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052150500211895
- Mahdavi, M., Fesanghary, M. and Damangir, E. (2007), "An improved harmony search algorithm for solving optimization problems", Applied Mathematics and Computation, 188, 1567-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2006.11.033
- Oden, J.T. (1967), Mechanics of elastic structures. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Omran, M. and Mahdavi, M. (2008), "Global-best harmony search", Applied Mathematics and Computation, 198, 643-656. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2007.09.004
- Rezaiee-Pajand, M. and Naghavi, A.R. (2011), "Accurate Solutions for Geometric Nonlinear Analysis of Eight Trusses", Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines, 39(1), 46-82. https://doi.org/10.1080/15397734.2010.515297
- Saffari, H, Fadaee, M.J., Tabatabaei, R. (2008), "Nonlinear analysis of space trusses using modified normal flow algorithm", ASCE J Structural Engineering, 134(6), 998-1005. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:6(998)
- Saka, M.P. (2009), "Optimum design of steel sway frames to BS5950 using harmony search algorithm", Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 65, 36-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.005
- Statnikov, R., Bordetsky, A. and Statnikov, A. (2009), "Management of constraints in optimization problems", Nonlinear Analysis, 71, e967-e971. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.na.2009.01.170
- Sufian, F.M.A. and Templeman, A.B. (1992), "On the nonlinear analysis of pretensioned cable net structures", Structural Engineering Review, 4, 147-158.
- Sufian, F.M.A. and Templeman, A.B. (1993), "Analysis and design of cable net structures through optimization techniques", Eds: Hernandez, S. and Brebbia, C.A., Optimization of Structural Systems and Applications, Computational Mechanics Publications and Elsevier Applied Science, 491-508.
- Timoshenko, S.P. and Gere, J.M. (1961), Theory of Elastic Stability, second ed., McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Toklu, Y.C. (2004), "Nonlinear analysis of trusses through energy minimization", Computers and Structures, 82, 1581-1589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2004.05.008
- Venkayya, V.B. (1971), "Design of optimum structures", Computers and Structures, 1, 265-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(71)90013-7
- Analysis of Tensegric Structures by Total Potential Optimization Using Metaheuristic Algorithms vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000571
- Sizing, geometry and topology optimization of trusses using force method and supervised charged system search vol.50, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.50.3.365
- Optimum tuned mass damper approaches for adjacent structures vol.7, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.6.1071
- Metaheuristic based optimization of tuned mass dampers under earthquake excitation by considering soil-structure interaction vol.92, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2016.10.019
- An improved algorithm in railway truss bridge optimization under stress, displacement and buckling constraints imposed on moving load vol.46, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.4.571
- Using residual areas for geometrically nonlinear structural analysis vol.105, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2015.06.043
- Computation of Nonunique Solutions for Trusses Undergoing Large Deflections vol.12, pp.03, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1142/S021987621550022X