- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Experimental and theoretical research on mechanical behavior of innovative composite beams
- Zhu, Gang (College of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Arch. and Tech.) ;
- Yang, Yong (College of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Arch. and Tech.) ;
- Xue, Jianyang (College of Civil Engineering, Xi'an University of Arch. and Tech.) ;
- Nie, Jianguo (Department of Civil Engineering, Tsinghua University)
- Received : 2010.10.12
- Accepted : 2013.02.14
- Published : 2013.04.25
The web-encased steel-concrete composite (WESCC) beam is a new developed steel-concrete composite beam. Experiments of six simply supported WESCC beam specimens were conducted. The effects of the shear-span ratio and steel section type were all investigated on the static behaviors such as failure modes, failure mechanism and bearing capacity. The experimental results denoted that all specimens failed in bending mode and the degree of combination between the bottom armor plate of steel shape and concrete were very well without any evident slippage, which demonstrated that the function of bottom armor plate and web were fully exerted in the WESCC beams. It could be concluded the WESCC beams have high stiffness, high load carrying capacity and advanced ductility. The design methods are proposed which mainly consist the bearing capacity calculation of bending and flexural rigidity. The calculation results of the bearing capacity and deflection which take the shear deflection into account are in agreement with the experimental results. The design methods are useful for design and application of the innovative composite beams.
composite beams;experiment study;mechanical behavior;bearing capacity;flexural rigidity;shear deflection
- Oguejiofor, E.C. and Hosain, M.U. (1997), "Numerical analysis of push-out specimens with perfobond rib connectors", Comput. Struct., 62(4), 617-624. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(96)00270-2
- Pecce, M., Rossi, F., Bibbo, F.A. and Ceroni, F. (2012), "Experimental behaviour of Composite Beams subjected to a hogging moment", Steel and Composite Structures, 12(5), 395-412. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.12.5.395
- Valente, I.B. and Cruz, P.J.S. (2010), "Experimental analysis on steel and lightweight concrete composite beams", Steel and Composite Structures, 10(2), 168-185.
- Wang, C.Z. and Teng, Z.M. (1985), The Theory of Reinforced Concrete Structure, China Building Industry Press, Beijing, 350-351. [in Chinese]
- Won, S.G., Bae, S.H., Jeong, W.B. and Bae, S.R. (2012), "Forced vibration analysis of damped beam structures with composite cross-section using Timoshenko beam element", Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 43(1), 15-30. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2012.43.1.015
- Yu, W.W. and Winter G. (1960), "Instantaneous and long-time deflections of reinforced concrete beams under working loads", ACI J., 57(1), 29-50.
- Zhang, N. and Fu, C.C. (2009), "Experimental and theoretical studies on composite steel-concrete box beams with external tendons", Eng. Struct., 31(2), 275-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.08.004
- Amadio C., Fedrigo C., Fragiacomo M. and Macorini, L. (2004), "Experimental evaluation of effective width in steel-concrete composite beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 60(2), 199-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2003.08.007
- Benitez, M., Darwin, D. and Donahey, R. (1998), "Deflections of composite beams with web openings", J. Struct. Eng., 124(10), 1139-1147. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:10(1139)
- Candido-Martins, J.P.S., Costa-Neves, L.F. and Vellasco, P.C.G. da S. (2010), "Experimental evaluation of the structural response of Perfobond shear connectors", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 1976-1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.02.031
- Johnson, R.P. (1982), Composite Structure of Steel and Concrete, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing.
- Ju, Y.K., Kim, D.Y., Chung, K.R. and Kim, S.D (2001), "Composite action of the A-TEC beam with asymmetric steel section", Archit. Inst. of Korea, 17(9), 49-56.
- Ju, Y.K., Chun, S.C. and Kim, S.D. (2009), "Flexural test of a composite beam using asymmetric steel section with web openings", J. Struct. Eng., 135(4), 448-458. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2009)135:4(448)
- Jurkiewiez, B. and Braymand, S. (2007), "Experimental study of a pre-cracked steel-concrete composite beam", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(1), 135-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.03.013
- Lu, W.Y. (2006), "Shear strength prediction for steel reinforced concrete deep beams", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(10), 933-942. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.02.007
- Medberry, S.B., Shahrooz, B.M. (2002), "Perfobond shear connector for composite construction", AISC J., Chicago, 1, 2-12.
- Narayanan, R. (1988), Steel-Concrete Composite Structures, Spon Press Taylor and Francis Group.
- Nie, J.G., Tang, L. and Cai, C. S.(2009), "Performance of steel-concrete composite beams under combined bending and torsion", J. Struct. Eng., 135(9), 1048-1057. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000042
- Nishiumi Kenji (1999), "Shear strength of perfobond rib shear connector under the confinement", J. JSCE, 633, 193-203.