- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A simplified approach for fire-resistance design of steel-concrete composite beams
- Li, Guo-Qiang (College of Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Wang, Wei-Yong (College of Civil Engineering, Chongqing University)
- Received : 2013.01.05
- Accepted : 2013.01.22
- Published : 2013.03.25
In this paper, a simplified approach based on critical temperature for fire resistance design of steel-concrete composite beams is proposed. The method for determining the critical temperature and fire protection of the composite beams is developed on the basis of load-bearing limit state method employed in current Chinese Technical Code for Fire safety of Steel Structure in Buildings. Parameters affecting the critical temperature of the composite beams are analysed. The results show that at a definite load level, section shape of steel beams, material properties, effective width of concrete slab and concrete property model have little influence on the critical temperature of composite beams. However, the fire duration and depth of concrete slab have significant influence on the critical temperature. The critical temperatures for commonly used composite beams, at various depth of concrete and fire duration, are given to provide a reference for engineers. The validity of the practical approach for predicting the critical temperature of the composite beams is conducted by comparing the prediction of a composite beam with the results from some fire design codes and full scale fire resistance tests on the composite beam.
- Hozjan, T., Saje, M., Srpcic, S. and Planinc, I. (2011), "Fire analysis of steel-concrete composite beams with interlayer slip", Comput. Struct., 89(1-2),189-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2010.09.004
- Kodur V.K.R., Naser, M., Pakala, P. and Varma, A. (2013), "Modeling the response of composite beam-slab assemblies exposed to fire", J Construct Steel Res, 80,163-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2012.09.005
- Lamont, S., Usmani A.S. and Drysdale, D.D.(2001), "Heat transfer analysis of the composite slab in the Cardington frame fire tests", Fire Safety J., 36(8), 815-839. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-7112(01)00041-8
- Lie, T. T. and Denham, E.M.A. (1993), "Factors affecting the fire resistance of circular hollow steel columns filled with bar-reinforced concrete", NRC-CNRC Internal Report, No.651.
- Lu Z.D. (1989), "Research on the fire behaviour of Steel reinforced concrete beams", Doctoral thesis, Tongji University, Shanghai, China. (In Chinese)
- Ranzi, G. and Bradford M.A. (2007a), "Composite beams with both longitudinal and transverse partial interaction subjected to elevated temperatures", Eng. Struct., 29(10), 2737-2750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.01.022
- Ranzi G. and Bradford M.A. (2007b), "Direct stiffness analysis of a composite beam-column element with partial interaction", Compos Struct, 85(15-16), 1206-1214. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2006.11.031
- Wang, Y. C. (1998), "Composite Beams with Partial Fire Protection", Fire Safety J., 30(4), 315-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-7112(97)00000-3
- Wellman E.I., Varma A.H., Fike R. and Kodur V. (2011), "Experimental evaluation of thin composite floor assemblies under fire loading", ASCE J Struct Eng, 137(9), 1002-16. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000451
- Zhou H.Y. (2004), "Theoretical and Experimental Research on Fire Resistance of Steel-Concrete Composite Beams", Doctoral thesis, Tongji University, Shanghai, China. (In Chinese)
- Zhou H.Y., Li G.Q. and Wang Y.Z. (2005), "Parametric studies on fire resistance of simply supported steel-concrete beams". Steel Struct., 20(6), 92-96. (In Chinese)
- Benedettia, A. and Mangoni,E. (2007), "Analytical prediction of composite beams response in fire situations", J Construct Steel Res, 63(2), 221-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.04.013
- BS 5950 (1990), The structural use of steelwork in buildings, Part 8: Code of practice for fire-resistant design, British Standards Institution, London, U.K.
- CECS200:2006 (2006), Chinese Technical Code for Fire safety of Steel Structure in Buildings, China Planning Press, Beijing. (In Chinese)
- ENV 1994-1-2 (1994), Euro code 4: Design of composite steel and concrete structures-Part 1.2: Structural Fire Design, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- Fakury, R.H., Casas, E.B.L., Jr, F.P.F. and Abreu, L.M.P. (2005), "Design of semi-continuous composite steel-concrete beams at the fire limit state", J Construct Steel Res, 61(8),1094-1107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.02.003
- GB 50017-2003 (2003), Code for Design of Steel Structure, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing.