- Volume 34 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Petrochemical Characteristics of the Duibaejae Volcanic Rocks from Goseong, Gangwon-do, Korea
강원도 고성 뒤배재 화산암의 암석화학적 특성
- Kim, Hwa Sung (Taebaek Mechanical Technical High School) ;
- Kil, Youngwoo (Department of Energy and Resources Engineering, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lee, Moon Won (Division of Science Education, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2013.02.12
- Accepted : 2013.03.19
- Published : 2013.04.30
Duibaejae basalts from Goseong, Gangwon-do, are divided into the lower basalt and the upper basalt depending on the properties, such as occurrence, mineral compositions, and major and trace compositions of the basalts. The lower basalts have characteristics of agglomerate rocks as well as contain, crustal and mantle xenoliths, and olivine, pyroxene, and plagioclase xenocrysts. The upper basalts with columnar joints contain relatively more mantle xenolith and olivine xenocryst than the lower basalts. The major and trace element compositions suggest that the composition of the upper basalts is close to primary magma composition. Enrichment and depletion patterns of the trace and the rare-earth elements of the lower basalts are similar to those of the upper basalts, whereas the lower basalts are more LREE enriched than the upper basalts. The source magmas of the lower and upper basalts from Duibaejae volcanic edifice were generated from about 0.8-1.2% and 3.7-4.0% batch melting of garnet peridotite, respectively. The abundance of granite xenolith, and plagioclase and quartz xenocrysts with reaction rim indicates that the lower basalts, compared with upper basalts, might have been assimilated with the crustal materials during ascending to surface.
Supported by : 전남대학교
- Chen, C.Y. and Frey, F.A., 1985, Trace element and isotopic geochemistry of lavas from Haleakala volcano, East Maui, Hawaii: Implications for the origin of Hawaiian basalts. Journal of geophysical research, 90, 8743-8768. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB090iB10p08743
- Chen, C.Y., Frey, F.A., and Garcia, M.O., 1990, Evolution of alkalic lavas at Haleakala volcano, east Maui, Hawaii major, trace element and isotopic constraints. Contribution to mineralogy and petrology, 105, 197-218. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00678986
- Cho, D.L., Hong, S.H., Chwae, U.C., Lee, B.J., and Choi, P.Y., 1998, Geological report of the Goseong-Ganseong sheet. Korea Institute of Geology, Mining and Materials 59 p. (in Korean)
- Choi, S.H., 2012, Lithospheric mantle beneath the Korean Peninsula: Implications from peridotite xenoliths in alkali basalts. Petrological Society of Korea, 21, 235-247. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2012.21.2.235
- Frey, F.A., Green, D.H., and Roy, S.D., 1978, Integrated models of basalt petrogenesis: A study of quartz tholeiites to olivine melilitiets from south eastern Australia utilizing geochemical and experimental petrological data. Journal petrology, 19, 463-513. https://doi.org/10.1093/petrology/19.3.463
- Garcia, M.O., Pietruszka, A.J., and Rhodes, J.M., 2003, A petrologic perspective of Kilauea volcano's summit magma reservoir. Journal petrology, 44-12, 2313-2339.
- Green, T.H., 1980, Island arc and continent-building magmatism: A review of petrogenetic models based on experimental petrology and geochemistry. Tectonophysics, 63, 367-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(80)90121-3
- Halliday, A.N., Lee, D.C., Tommasini, S., Davies, G.R., Paslick, C.R., Fitton, J.G., and James, D.E., 1995, Incompatible trace elements in OIB and MORB and source enrichment in the sub-oceanic mantle. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 133, 379-395. https://doi.org/10.1016/0012-821X(95)00097-V
- Hildreth, W., 1981, Gradients in silicic magma chambers: Implications for lithospheric magmatism. Journal of geophysical research, 86, 10153-10192. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB086iB11p10153
- Kil, Y.W., Shin, H.J., and Ko, B.K., 2007, Magma pathway of alkali volcanic rocks in Goseong, Gangwon-do, Korea. Petrological Society of Korea, 16, 196-207. (in Korean)
- Kim, H.S., Kil, Y.W., and Lee, M.W., 2012, The formation of the cenozoic volcanic edifice in the Goseong-Ganseong area, Gangwondo, Korea. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 33, 627-636. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.7.627
- Kim, Y.B., Chwae, U.C., and Hwang, S.K., 2010, Geological report of the Changamjeom sheet. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 80 p. (in Korean)
- Koh, J.S., Yun, S.H., and Jeong, E.J., 2007, Petrology of the basalts in the Seongsan-Ilchulbong area, Jeju Island. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 28, 324-342. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2007.28.3.324
- Koh, J.S. and Yun, S.H., 2005, Petrology on the late miocene basalts in Goseong-gun, Gangwon Province. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, 26, 78-79. (in Korean)
- Kushiro, I., Yoder, H.S., and Mysen, B.O., 1976, Viscosities of basalt and andesite melts at high pressures. Journal of geophysical research, 81, 6351-6356. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB081i035p06351
- Lee, H.Y., 1995, Petrochemical study on the mantle xenoliths in alkali basalts from S. Korea: P-T Regime of upper mantle. Petrological Society of Korea, 4, 104-123. (in Korean)
- Lee, H.Y., Kim, Y.K., Koh, S.M., and Hong, S.S., 1993, Study on the mantle xenoliths for the calculation of heat flow. Korea Institute of Geology, Mining and Materials, KR-93(B)-10, 98 p. (in Korean)
- Macdonald, B.R., 1980, Trace element evidence for mantle heterogeneity beneath the Scottish Midland Vally in the Carboniferous and Permian. Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London, A 297, 245-257. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1980.0213
- McDonough, W.F., 1994, Chemical and isotopic systematics of continental lithospheric mantle. In (Meyer, H.O.A. and Leonardos, O., editors) proceedings of the 5th international kimberlite conference, 478-485. CPRM, Brasilia.
- Park, J.B. and Park, K.H., 1996, Petrology and petrogenesis of the Cenozoic alkali volcanic rocks in the middle part of Korean Peninsula (I): Petrography, mineral chemistry and whole rock major element chemistry. Geological Society of Korea, 32, 223-249. (in Korean)
- Rollinson, H.R., 1993, Using geochemical data: Evaluation, presentation, interpretation. Pearson Education Limited, Edinburgh, 352 p.
- Shaw, D.M., 1979, Trace element melting models. Physics and chemistry of the earth, 11, 577-586. https://doi.org/10.1016/0079-1946(79)90055-7
- Song, K.Y., Park, S.I., and Cho, D.L., 2011, Geological report of the Sokcho-Yangyang sheet. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, 81 p. (in Korean)
- Sun, S.S. and Hanson, G.N., 1975, Origin of Ross island basanitoids and limitations upon the heterogeneity of mantle sources for alkali basalts and nephelinites. Contribution to mineralogy and petrology, 52, 77-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00395006
- Sun, S.S. and McDonough, W.F., 1989, Chemical and isotopic systematics of oceanic basalt: Implications for mantle composition and processes. Geological Society, London, Special Publications, 42, 313-345. https://doi.org/10.1144/GSL.SP.1989.042.01.19
- Taylor, S.R. and Mclennan, S.M., 1985, The continental crust: Its composition and evolution. Blackwell, Oxford, 312 p.
- Development and Geotechnical Engineering Properties of KLS-1 Lunar Simulant vol.31, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000798